DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need help with propeller damage opinion

The only time you need to replace your prop is when they are cracked. I've been flying my drone with scratches on then for months without any problems :)
I'd just say...until there is a problem. I thought the same thing as you until a prop flew of my JJRC X5 and it then came crashing down onto the ground. Drones can't fly with 3 props (or less) so losing one means a much more expensive repair than replacing a prop or 2.

My experience was documented in a prior post

Reactions: aqibmushtaq
Kawasaki9r, I don't understand how that video relates to this thread, from what I can understand the failure of a mounting stud caused the prop to come off. Can you explain please? Thanks
I believe the vibration from the prop being a bit out of whack caused the mounting screw to vibrate and then related to the failure.

Honey, could you aim the drone over there - I'd like to remove that partition! (g)
I said - 'move toward' - and not 'complete', unfortunately. It's more a case of "Now look what you've done - we'll have to paint & decorate now!" o_O

"I believe the vibration from the prop being a bit out of whack caused the mounting screw to vibrate and then related to the failure." Ok and thanks

Thank you so much everyone! So I decided just to replace all the propellers with the extra ones I got with my fly more combo. I'm the kind of person who doesn't take these kinda risks but the problem was that I'm in India and it's almost impossible to find MM props here. Tried finding on every website including Amazon. And ordering from Chinese websites is a pain. They deliver in 30-45 days and idk there are so many people saying that there are customs issues. Thinking of ordering from them anyway as I really don't have any other options.

Be careful of ANY props/blades that are sold loose, or in packs of xyz.
DJI supply these blades in pairs for a reason, I am guessing that is balance but maybe of matching pitch too. Blades of differing mass/weight will cause increased vibration. Blades of differing pitch will probably produce uneven lift around the motor. I doubt either are good for the motor or airframe.
If it were me I'd replace the cracked blade AND ITS PARTNER without hesitation but, and this is just me, I'd probably live with the SLIGHT nicks, dents and scratches providing I thought there was no loss of material from the blade.

You should have purchased the fly more combo. It comes with extra propellers plus prop guards for flying indoors then it would have just bounced off the ceiling

The second photo in the sequence does indicate a crack coming in from the trailing edge of the prop. Abrasive damage on the other prop's can be lived with, but a crack will lead to you losing a significant part of the prop at some point (when you least want it!). Avoid flying indoors, as the Mavic range rely on GPS positioning to keep them stable, and GPS is pretty unreliable-to-non-existent indoors! Flying indoors is a great way to progress toward home renovations.
Thank you! Now I have two questions answered: that GPS indoors is almost non-existent, which is why I ended up renovating the staircase bannister with my props. Threw out one pair and the second pair is mildly scratched ... but I'm gonna turf that one too, now that I've read this! I've dressed aircraft propellers in the past after finding small stone nicks from operating on gravel runways, but the drone blades are nice and cheap, comparatively speaking.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer