DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Neighbor Flying Drone Over My house

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he is flying fairly high, forget it! Or, put up a few barrage balloons around the yard. Perhaps that will keep him back.

Reactions: Flycaster
If the drone is within a broom handles length, I would feel more than justified in whacking at it.
And try to stay out of camera view, in case he regains control and flies home. If you do knock it down, take the SD card out, if you think it filmed you in the act. Hell, take the drone while your at it. That is, if it crashes on your property. Then give it to police.

I hope this advice doesn't get to a human on the ground trespassing on other people's property. That would suck, if they hit the property owners drone and took the drone and or s/d card. Remember to stay high enough to stay away from poles or broomsticks.

I actually had a trespasser on my property and he hit my drone with a pole. I got lucky, It didn't crash and I just flew to a higher altitude, but I didn't get a shot of the trespasser, he hit the drone from behind.

Last edited:
Question Isn,t airspace above his property private up to 200 ft i,ve read that here in the forum not sure how accurate it is. and here in NM if someone where to use a twelve gauge on it for tresspassing they might get a slap on the hand , i,m a drone owner but mine arn,t cheap ones if you shoot down a unregistered two hundred dollar drone , not a problem

Last edited:
Question Isn,t airspace above his property private up to 200 ft i,ve read that here in the forum not sure how accurate it is
I don't think that is right. Some countries or states may have passed their own laws, but in the U.S. they can be countered by FAA rules and regs.
I noticed someone in another country. He kept saying he wasn't allowed to fly over houses in a youtube video. So I assume some countries have laws against flying over houses.

To stop drones from flying over your house; Some Electronic Solutions:
The Anti-UAV Defense System (AUDS) is one such solution. It scans the skies for drones and jams their control signals using its own high-powered radio signal. Or if you need a more portable option, you could look into the DroneDefender.

If the drone is within a broom handles length, I would feel more than justified in whacking at it.
You may feel justified, but the FAA will feel justified in prosecuting you as well. I may feel justified punching someone in the face that is harassing me but that does not mean it's legal to do so. I'm surprised that people in this forum who are not total noobs would even suggest such a thing.

Question Isn,t airspace above his property private up to 200 ft i,ve read that here in the forum not sure how accurate it is. and here in NM if someone where to use a twelve gauge on it for tresspassing they might get a slap on the hand , i,m a drone owner but mine arn,t cheap ones if you shoot down a unregistered two hundred dollar drone , not a problem
Your right about the unregistered drones. If its not registered it doesn't exist

What about a drone restriction on HOA property, he'd at least have to go outside of the community to launch or he'd be in violation.

You do know those are illegal to use? Someone else possibly breaking the law does not allow you to break the law.
Who is gonna know that you have one in your house. Yeah, I know it's illegal, but I am siding with the person who's privacy is being invaded. I wouldn't do it anyway, i don't care if people fly their drones around my house. I know their not a threat unless being flown over me, if I am laying out naked or they fly directly up to a window with no sun shades.

What about a drone restriction on HOA property, he'd at least have to go outside of the community to launch or he'd be in violation.
They do that here in florida. The drone owner then gets fined. If the fine isn't paid they put a lein on your house.

You may feel justified, but the FAA will feel justified in prosecuting you as well. ... I'm surprised that people in this forum who are not total noobs would even suggest such a thing.
I'm surprised that other members are so sure the FAA would even care.
Has there been a case where they've taken action over something like this?

• Haha
Reactions: Pietros and RMS001
I'm surprised that other members are so sure the FAA would even care.
Has there been a case where they've taken action over something like this?
Nope. You won't get a federal prosecutor to even look at the case. It's always stepped down to local laws.

Last edited:
You may feel justified, but the FAA will feel justified in prosecuting you as well. I may feel justified punching someone in the face that is harassing me but that does not mean it's legal to do so. I'm surprised that people in this forum who are not total noobs would even suggest such a thing.
These are the kind of silly assertions that crop up when people cherry-pick individual laws and regulations. If a drone flies over your property then it is illegal to attempt to bring it down or damage it.

A drone flying within a broom-handles length of a person, whether on their property or not, is (1) completely illegal flight and (2) an immediate and serious threat to that person's safety. How close are you going to let it get before you take action, or are you going to extend your argument to letting it fly into you, potentially causing serious injury, because you think you cannot touch it?

The only person getting prosecuted by the FAA in this scenario is the pilot.

These are the kind of silly assertions that crop up when people cherry-pick individual laws and regulations. If a drone flies over your property then it is illegal to attempt to bring it down or damage it.

A drone flying within a broom-handles length of a person, whether on their property or not, is (1) completely illegal flight and (2) an immediate and serious threat to that person's safety. How close are you going to let it get before you take action, or are you going to extend your argument to letting it fly into you, potentially causing serious injury, because you think you cannot touch it?

The only person getting prosecuted by the FAA in this scenario is the pilot.
GOOD POINT ! I agree "The only person getting prosecuted by the FAA in this scenario is the pilot." Also, I really doubt the neighbor flying the drone is maintaining VLOS during his harassment type flight maneuvering.

Reactions: Scambler
If a drone is flying high over your yard, all is legal. If it is following you around your yard, that's an invasion of privacy, report it. Do not knock it out of the sky. As much as we'ed like to, you may be the one in trouble, to your neighbors pleasure. All others make some good points, but think first.

Dear here2learn, firstly thank you for reaching out to the forum with your concerns. Always nice to hear from someone outside of the community. The only way to beat this ratbag is to document his actions and let the law deal with him. My advice would be to stay clear of him and try not to escalate the matter on a personal basis.
I had similar trouble with a neighbour which eventually turned violent. Thank god for Australian gun control laws he didn’t have one. He kept breaching court ordered DVOs did a short stint in gaol and left the area on his release.
Wish you well and stay safe
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard