DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Neighbor Flying Drone Over My house

Status
Not open for further replies.
DO NOT FOLLOW THIS PERSONS ADVICE AND ATTEMPT TO DISABLE THE DRONE WITH A BROOM OR ANY OTHER DEVICE!!!!! You would be the one arrested as any attempt to disable an aircraft (and yes, drones are aircraft) is a felony. Report this person to the FAA. Report him to the police and KEEP doing so. Harassment is harassment does not matter if he uses a drone or not. What about your HOA? What do they have to say? I would think him dumping trash, messing with the gate pad, and many of the things you describe would be in violation of some HOA rules.
Have some common sense here. If a drone is harassing you so low that you can take it out with a broom, then you can easily say you felt threatened and scared for your safety. No authority is going to rule against a person that was protecting themselves from a drone following them that low.

I hope you can get this problem cleared up soon. Sometimes we all run into someone who causes problems.
I'm a drone flyer myself but I always follow the rules and stay away from people and I keep my drone up high and never bother anyone.
Have a blessed week everyone

I hope you can get this problem cleared up soon. Sometimes we all run into someone who causes problems.
I'm a drone flyer myself but I always follow the rules and stay away from people and I keep my drone up high and never bother anyone.
Have a blessed week everyone
I fly over houses, but no lower than 100ft.

My neighbor has been harassing me and my small HOA community in a multitude of ways, [...]
When I'm outside on my land, there have been several instances where his drone follows me around my land. He has a drone business (or is trying to). I've asked him to please stop. He refuses.[...]
He is now resorting to using this drone to harass us now that we have put up our fence. He has followed my other neighbors around their yard as well. [...] I'm told I do not own my airspace. [...]
Does the NO TRESPASSING sign not apply to drones?
Thanks for any direction you can provide.
Are you certain that he is deliberately harassing you? He sounds like a nut case, but there's a difference between a drone just flying overhead on its way to and from some other place (like any other low-flying helicopter or aircraft) versus someone deliberately using a drone to stampede your livestock, or to knock over your barbecue, or steal your chickens. If it's following you close enough that you can bat it out of the air using a broomstick, well that's pretty clear harassment.

There's a difference between assuming you're being deliberately harassed, versus actual criminal harassment. If you've tried talking to the guy with no success, then document his transgressions as proof for presentation to the authorities.

The reason I ask is, on one of our neighbouring lake association's (thankfully not ours) facebook page somebody complained about seeing a drone flying over the lake and claimed it was "spying" on them. They insisted it's an invasion of privacy! Several other people joined in saying they've also seen the same drone, and all of them unanimously suggested immediately shooting it down if ever seeing it again. Get your guns, your slingshots, your bows and arrows! Someone from an entirely different town even chimed in to say, "I saw a drone here too!" Sheesh. Merely seeing a drone is now evidently sufficient grounds for panic and a call to arms.

Since nobody seemed to be taking the side of the drone flyer, I posted a few questions to the group. It turns out the drone was never actually hovering outside anyone's bedroom window, nor even directly flying over anybody's property. It was simply flying along the lakeshore (which is not illegal). Oh ya? But think of how this affects the poor loons and herons! It should be illegal! To which I questioned whether swimming, or paddling a canoe around the shoreline, is any less disturbing to the wildlife.

I suggested they have their lake association send out an email to everyone on the lake inviting the drone owner to come to a meeting to demonstrate what it can do, or even better what it cannot do. Maybe it's not actually some pervert, but just some kid innocently flying their birthday present around the lake blissfully unaware that he's creating such concern within his community.

I was particularly distressed by the outrage expressed in that facebook group because I sometimes fly my own drone around our lake (thankfully not the same lake). A couple of years ago I made an aerial video for one of my neighbours. He's a long distance swimmer and he asked me to record one of his daily swims around the lake. It was in late autumn with the leaves all in full colours, so the video turned out quite nice. He sent the link to our lake association president, who forwarded it to everyone on the lake. So now everybody knows that I'm the guy with the drone, and they all know where to find me. More importantly they've all seen the sort of images the drone is capable of capturing.

Note: I'm convinced that, just like every day around here, everybody at the lake was nude-sunbathing that day, or doing their gardening in the nude, or doing god-knows-what while naked inside the privacy of their cottages. The drone sees everything! Watch the video and count how many naked bodies you can spot... :eek:

Drone flyers- Witches, I doubt that's the case in this OP's situation. The drone operator may be just a bad apple.

Last edited:
If the drone is within a broom handles length, I would feel more than justified in whacking at it.

Me too !
I'd say it would probably not be flying this low, else the idiot would be losing signal / control pretty fast . . . unless he's positioned that close (or in a way) it does maintain some sort of signal LOS.

Greetings Drone Enthusiasts!

Im hoping to get some clarity and direction from responsible drone owners.

My neighbor has been harassing me and my small HOA community in a multitude of ways, from trespassing on to our properties, dumping landfill debris in our yards, constantly calling the sheriff for noise (which they have told him we are not doing anything wrong) to cutting down our protected mangroves. We have had to install NO TRESPASSING signs and we have now put up a fence which has enraged him. The police have had to speak to him and conveyed to him that he will be arrested if he continues to trespass.

When Im outside on my land, there have been several instances where his drone follows me around my land. He has a drone business (or is trying to). Ive asked him to please stop. He refuses. When I set any boundary with him it infuriates him and he retaliates by then blocking our community gate entry keypad or harass any contractors that enter into our community. Or yelling at me when I enter my community. His house is the first house outside our gate.

I just want to be left alone. He is now resorting to using this drone to harass us now that we have put up our fence. He has followed my other neighbors around their yard as well. They are elderly and very intimidated by him. Im told I do not own my airspace. Is there anything additionally I can do to get him to stop flying in my yard? or into our small private community? Does the NO TRESPASSING sings not apply to drones? Tampa Bay has many beautiful areas to fly a drone, from sprawling beaches to jungly native areas.

I should clarify, this is a new neighbor who bought in the last year. Everyone was peacefully coexisting until he moved in to the neighborhood.

No you don't own the air. The FAA doesn't take kindly to using a drone to harass. See if they can help. Remember FAA regulates the air.

Florida is a two party state for recording communications. IANAL, but I think that means you have to inform him you are recording the conversation, which sounds like it would provoke him further.

How close is the drone, both horizontal distance and altitude?
It is a two party state for communications UNLESS you are on public property

My neighbor has been harassing me and my small HOA community in a multitude of ways, from trespassing on to our properties, dumping landfill debris in our yards, constantly calling the sheriff for noise (which they have told him we are not doing anything wrong) to cutting down our protected mangroves. We have had to install NO TRESPASSING signs and we have now put up a fence which has enraged him. The police have had to speak to him and conveyed to him that he will be arrested if he continues to trespass.

When Im outside on my land, there have been several instances where his drone follows me around my land. He has a drone business (or is trying to). Ive asked him to please stop. He refuses. When I set any boundary with him it infuriates him and he retaliates by then blocking our community gate entry keypad or harass any contractors that enter into our community. Or yelling at me when I enter my community. His house is the first house outside our gate.

I just want to be left alone. He is now resorting to using this drone to harass us now that we have put up our fence. He has followed my other neighbors around their yard as well. They are elderly and very intimidated by him. Im told I do not own my airspace. Is there anything additionally I can do to get him to stop flying in my yard? or into our small private community? Does the NO TRESPASSING sings not apply to drones? Tampa Bay has many beautiful areas to fly a drone, from sprawling beaches to jungly native areas.

I should clarify, this is a new neighbor who bought in the last year. Everyone was peacefully coexisting until he moved in to the neighborhood.

I have a friend who had the same type of neighbor. He kept flying over my friends house and over him and his family, while they were having barbecues and entertaining friends. I told him to film the drone flying over him and his family and file a complaint with the FAA. It took a few weeks and he sent the FAA over 20 videos of him flying over at about 50 to 100 ft. The FAA Gave him notice if he flew over people anymore they were going to fine him and confiscate his drone. Remember you’re not allowed to flyover people. When he got the notice he was pissed but he stopped flying over

Reactions: Gagey52
Film the drone of course. Then the police can act. They still can charge him with, voyerism, invasion of privacy, disturbing the peace, and even trespassing (if he turn his camera on). If you and other get it on film, sooner or later the police could potentially get a warrant to seize the drone and grab any video and pics he may have inside the drone on an SD card, That is unless he took it out. Voyerism, invasion of privacy, disturbing the peace are always things the police can charge a drone pilot with.

In Florida, for example, Criminal Code § 934.50 forbids using drones for surveillance in violation of another person's reasonable expectation of privacy. In Arkansas, AR Code § 5-60-103 forbids using drones to invade privacy and gather information. In California, Civil Code § 1708.8 forbids entering airspace to record another person "in a manner that is offensive to a reasonable person."

FOR A LOT MORE WAYS TO HAVE HIM PROSECUTED SEE THIS LINK:
Ah California, you got to love them. I suspect just like anywhere else in the US the FAA is the sole agency responsible for who can and cannot use the airspace and for what purpose the airspace is used for. California might well say that they forbid anyone entering an airspace for a particular purpose but I would love to see that went if challenged in court. Other jurisdications have tried and failed. Don't get me wrong, using a drone to invade someone's privacy is a HUGE no no for me, but just pointing out how some State legislators still don't seem to understand that they do not control the airspace.

Ah California, you got to love them. I suspect just like anywhere else in the US the FAA is the sole agency responsible for who can and cannot use the airspace and for what purpose the airspace is used for. California might well say that they forbid anyone entering an airspace for a particular purpose but I would love to see that went if challenged in court. Other jurisdications have tried and failed. Don't get me wrong, using a drone to invade someone's privacy is a HUGE no no for me, but just pointing out how some State legislators still don't seem to understand that they do not control the airspace.
Privacy laws are quite distinct from airspace regulation. States are perfectly entitled to enact laws protecting privacy; the offense is not flying in any particular airspace, it's capturing images for the purpose of surveillance or otherwise contrary to reasonable expectations of privacy.

Privacy laws are quite distinct from airspace regulation. States are perfectly entitled to enact laws protecting privacy; the offense is not flying in any particular airspace, it's capturing images for the purpose of surveillance or otherwise contrary to reasonable expectations of privacy.
Also, from Florida

Can Drones Fly Over Your House?​

While a drone can fly over your house, a drone owner can’t use a drone to threaten or harass you. In addition, a drone owner can’t use a drone to capture images of a person if the same view wouldn’t be available from a public place. There is no prohibition on flying drones over houses in general; however, there are significant restrictions that protect the privacy of homeowners, including trespass, stalking, and privacy laws.

Easy to understand Florida drone laws at Florida Drone Laws | Jack Bernstein, Injury Attorneys

Reactions: sar104
I have a friend who had the same type of neighbor. He kept flying over my friends house and over him and his family, while they were having barbecues and entertaining friends. I told him to film the drone flying over him and his family and file a complaint with the FAA. It took a few weeks and he sent the FAA over 20 videos of him flying over at about 50 to 100 ft. The FAA Gave him notice if he flew over people anymore they were going to fine him and confiscate his drone. Remember you’re not allowed to flyover people. When he got the notice he was pissed but he stopped flying over
That the only way to deal with that type of ratbag, and by the way welcome to the forum from the land of Oz.
Regards

Try and get an image of the drone that shows the drone number. it is required by law that drones must have the number, clearly visible. Even if you can't see the number, just mention via a complaint to the FAA that you don't think it is a legal drone as you can't see any numbers. Of course your letter should state in detail everything you have said here. Using a drone to harass someone is illegal, and does violate FA flight rules. A video of the drone following you around is good evidence of harassment.

If he is flying at a low enough altitude, I would string some fishing line between some of the mangroves, and lead his drone to the trap. If he crashes into something he can't see, then that is on him.

B

Get a bow and use arrow for bird hunting that have big wire loops and shot it down. Should be an easy shot, even for a beginner.

I think of you were out watering your lawn and inadvertantly sprayed a drone that startled you, that might at least make him keep his distance, especially if all your neighbors "accidentally" do the same thing.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
It’s illegal to shoot down or hit a drone out of the sky with anything on purpose , but if you “accidentally“ fly your drone into his drone by accident, no problem. My suggestion is to buy a cheap drone and fly out in your backyard when he’s flying his and accidentally bump into it.

Have some common sense here. If a drone is harassing you so low that you can take it out with a broom, then you can easily say you felt threatened and scared for your safety. No authority is going to rule against a person that was protecting themselves from a drone following them that low.
While you may think that, the fact is the FAA will NOT see it that way. Do you want to take the chance? Oh, that guy on the bicycle coming past me scared me, think I'll whack him with a broom. See if that defense works in court.

Drones are considered aircraft and rules fall under 18 U.S.C. § 32 (18 U.S. Code § 32 - Destruction of aircraft or aircraft facilities). Thus trying to knock the drone down is a FEDERAL crime. On top of that, you could be charged with willful destruction of private property as well. So my advice stands...do NOT attack the drown unless you can prove you are in physical danger (i.e. it's diving directly at you), then self-defense might be a matter, but self-defense would require proof that you were in reasonable danger, just not liking the drone there is not self-defense.

I would again, keep calling the police, file harassment complaints with them and the HOA. And consider suing him in civil court. What he is doing IS harassment and should be dealt with as such, but do NOT do something that could end up with YOU being arrested by retaliating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580