DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Neighbor flying drone over my house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to see another state stepping up to eliminate/stop proliferation of county, local, and HOA morass of drone laws that conflict with FAA regs. LEOs have more important things to do than police invalid “laws”.
Actually, as a LEO, I am concerned about the looking in the windows. Just a drone flying around...yeah, I get it. But if he's using his drone to look into windows, that's an issue. In Maryland, he could be charged:

CR 3-901(c) MISDEMEANOR $1,000.00 - 30 DAYS *1_0013* **PEEPING TOM.** ...did [conduct/procure ____ (name) to conduct] visual surveillance of another person in a private place without the consent of that person in that place. NOTE: See Section for Definitions. NOTE: This section does not require proof of "prurient intent" as is required in CR 3-902

It can be easily argued that one's bedroom with a camera looking in the window would fall under this.

Seems everyone here is taking at face value the claim that the drone pilot is looking in windows.

From my experience this would be nearly imposible. You would need to be very close, only a couple of M at the most and the room inside would need to be lit with no curtains etc.

From the OP:

My wife did and he screamed at her and got into her face. Flying it low enough to look in my windows. I live in one story house

PA does have a anti-voyeurism law that you could maybe use to get the police to talk to the guy: it is under the following:

§ 7507.1. Invasion of privacy.

(a) Offense defined.--
Except as set forth in subsection (d), a person commits the offense of invasion of privacy if he, for the purpose of arousing or gratifying the sexual desire of any person, knowingly does any of the following:

(1) Views, photographs, videotapes, electronically depicts, films or otherwise records another person without that person's knowledge and consent while that person is in a state of full or partial nudity and is in a place where that person would have a reasonable expectation of privacy...
So you demonstrate he/she was using the drone to look in your windows... How do you prove they were aroused or gratified? They might be horrified.

With all of the items in folks back yards to get hung up in (trees, antennas, wires, etc), I find it hard to believe anyone could fly low enough to see in any windows of a single story house. In the dark from 1000' away? Some folks think that at 50' you can peer into their windows, you can't (maybe skylights). But at any rate it is very weird for sure, and definitely not good for the hobby enjoyed by many. I don't know of a way to take care of the issue without enacting a few more crazy laws, that will hurt responsible drone fliers.

It's obvious that you are not a drone operator with this post....
I am a drone operator living in a retired community and there are a about a dozen drone operators living in my community. We see drones over our homes all the time an NOBODY complains.......do you really think the guy is trying to check out your wife......WHY????...get over it and stop crying!

I live in Falls Township, Bucks County, Pa and I am having an issue with a guy flying his drone over my house. He lives approx 1000ft from my house. Always at night. My wife confronted him and asked his to stop because it’s kinda creepy. He got in her face and screamed at her. This is the 2nd time she has caught him. I’m never home when this happens. Police said there is nothing they can do. What are my options?? Please help
What is he hurting? He is not spying on you from a Drone. Probably taking video or photos of the lights and or Houses. Drones cant zoom into your living room and spy on you. Airspace is governed by FAA, not police or property owners. It is a problem with him, if he flies after 30 mins from sunset thou.

The specific law on the PA website is here:

It’s part of the Criminal code for PA...and under Title 18 Section 3505(a)(1) or (2) it’s a summary offense punishable by a fine of $300.
wrong. Airspace isnt owned by anyone except government ( FAA ). It says unlawful use, and flying over a house isnt unlawful use. Over people or Traffic would be, but not over a house. So that law means nothing here.

I have no issues with the drones themselves BUT I’m 1000ft from this guy. No need to fly it over peoples houses and into their backyards. Fly it at a park or in your own yard. My wife and kids are now freaked out due to this.
Get over it. Ill bet your kids thinks it is neat, but sounds like you and your wife are the ones freakin. And making kids wonder. Geez. No one waste time spying on poor little you.

Reactions: PhantomPilotuk
Understood...the path forward the FAA is taking can be tedious to decipher.

That being said - the OP (homeowner) will likely not be able to educate local law enforcement on FAA regulations...but CAN point to current PA law as I stated in a previous post(#10).

That may be the most expeditious way to get a resolution to his concerns as it gives the police a specific state law to enforce.
that law is for unlawful acts, not flying in airspace. No one owns airspace, and as long as the flier is obeying the laws, that law you are referring to, means nothing. It is federal not state law that regulates Drones. State police arent the FAA

What about a strong garden hose aimed to the sky if he is flying that low? Or, maybe some thin but strong fishing line set up in a grid pattern around the windows of your house, that way they can't be seen in low light, probably any light really, and then maybe you will get a drone drop into your yard.

I live in Falls Township, Bucks County, Pa and I am having an issue with a guy flying his drone over my house. He lives approx 1000ft from my house. Always at night. My wife confronted him and asked his to stop because it’s kinda creepy. He got in her face and screamed at her. This is the 2nd time she has caught him. I’m never home when this happens. Police said there is nothing they can do. What are my options?? Please help

So the key here : 1000 FT at Night time Flying : Visibility is Piss Poor , most likely he is taking Night Shots of the Lights and is not hovering in front of the windows but more or less above the Houses .

We all have the ability to Close the Curtains or windows , a few months ago a Helicopter hovered 300 ft from my balcony for almost 45 minutes , I did not call the FAA , latter learned that there was a bad accident on the highway .

There our always going to be people that over sensative to drones, phones, and amazon alexa .
The day is coming when drones our going to deliver packages and yes fly to homes.

I have neighbors kids that play outside our bedroom window all day long , our they looking into my window because I am a rock star , best I close the windows , rather than call the police or follow them home for a screaming match.

Life is going to happen , sometimes its best to learn how to Navigate than be the heavy rock.

Phantomrain.org
Elite gear to fly your drone in the Rain !
Coal

Reactions: Paulf10
To be honest....a pellet rifle. Cops won’t ever be able to locate the pellet nor trace it back to you. It’s illegal but only if you get caught!!! lol

Firstly, sorry to hear about your problem; it's people like your neighbour that are giving the responsible majority of us a bad name.

Night flying (if by "night" you mean after twilight) is prohibited under part 107 of the FAA regulations unless you have a waiver, and is now prohibited entirely for recreational flights. I'd try a friendly request first, just in case you have better luck than your wife, and be sure to mention Part 107 and waivers.

If that doesn't work, I'd suggest getting some proof of night-flying and the proximity to your windows (e.g. mobile phone video) and take that to your local police along with a copy of a guide to the FAA regs. like this one for recreational flights and this one for Part 107 flights. Be sure to point out the bits in the guides about night flying and that he's probably committing a federal offence, and also the potential "peeping tom" angle. If they still won't act, you could escalate to the FAA and/or look into getting a restraining order of some kind, but you'll need to talk to a lawyer on the latter point.

Good luck, and hope you get this resolved soon.
Good grief ! I am so tired of hearing about Part 107!!! It clearly has nothing to do with this post. Unless of course by some stretch of a wild imagination someone thinks this idiot of a neighbor is being paid to fly into the posters back yard.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I have to admit, I fly at night. I live in a complex that has police patrolling at night and they actually park in an adjacent parking lot watching my flights. There are 3 regular patrolman and one that is experienced drone pilot that fills in when the 3 regs are not duty his name is Dan. Dan and I talk drone law and rules and he seems well versed and knowledgeable of subjects.... I run 2 strobes on average when flying the Mavic 2, the Autel Evo and the rest of the DJI Aircrafts.....Between Dan's knowledge and the actual drone laws I never got flak flying at night.. That's including flying at night at different location in town and some surrounding towns.

Let me back up....one time I was flying at night and was approached by 2 cars and both officers approached me but one did all the talking while the other was checking out my entire drone fleet I happened to have with me.....first, the officer asked what I was doing? I answered testing one of my drones.

2nd, he says that he observed my drone flying over a parking lot filled with state DOT trucks and such...

3rd he asked if I was videoing the parking lot? I answered not directly but my camera was running as I was flying over it flying my drone back to home point.

4th, he asked to view the footage? I said do I have to, he replies well, I will have to call this suspicious and collect all your info and confiscate all the drones. I said ok... I was flying this drone only so here's the footage. I showed him 5min of the most boring footage and he viewed the Mavic 2 Zoom flying over the parking lot at 30 mph and says....That's it...I said yep..that's it...

5th, he asked me how much did the Mavic 2 cost? I told him.

6th, he turns to his buddy and says nothings going on here.

7th, he says to me before leaving, "Fly Safe" have a good evening.....

The only time approached and investigated.

that law is for unlawful acts, not flying in airspace. No one owns airspace, and as long as the flier is obeying the laws, that law you are referring to, means nothing. It is federal not state law that regulates Drones. State police arent the FAA

Gizmo6257:

So your four posts in a row don’t really address the issue here...
Let’s take it at face value that the OP is not a drone pilot (Recreational or Commercial). Also, for the sake of argument let’s assume he joined this forum for informed opinions from our group on how to deal with a conflict involving a local pilot.

We don’t know all the facts - we’re not there, seeing and hearing what actually occurs. He states he’s not a drone hater, but his family has serious concerns.

He’s looking for help, not harassment - he feels he already has that from the pilot.

Giving the OP the benefit of the doubt the majority of those replying to his inquiry have posted info on FAA regulations and Pennsylvania (and other states’) laws.

The pilot may or may not be violating FAA regs...the FAA, you and I are not there so an accurate judgement or opinion of compliance is impossible.

While the FAA is responsible for the National Airspace System many states have passed legislation enabling both civil and criminal charges for invasion of privacy, like the PA law I cited above. One of the major tenets of those laws is a ‘reasonable expectation of privacy’.

I live in Oregon, with similar laws, which are enforced. As a Recreational pilot those laws apply...as a Commercial pilot they do not. The law is reasonably written.

I’m a Recreational and Commercial Remote Pilot..and hold manned aircraft ratings as well. As such I have a responsibility to be aware - and be in compliance - with all applicable FAA regulations AND state laws.

Most of the privacy laws have been (or are being) rewritten to account for changes in technology like drones; loitering (not just in route flying) over private property can be interpreted under these laws to be surveillance or harassment.

In a scenario like this the FAA likely doesn’t care unless it’s at low altitude (careless and reckless operation of a sUAS), but state law can be applied and could be a quicker path to a resolution...while still pursuing an inquiry with the FAA in parallel.

Reactions: anotherlab
Get a drone and fly above his house see if he likes that
Also if he is flying over your house it's ok as soon as he hovers above than for me that would be te time I grab my crossbow and shoot it down easy when its hovering

I cannot believe this thread is still being posted into! Close your curtains if you have concerns.

As for people suggesting shooting the drone with anything, how would you feel if that happened to your drone?

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
If he is flying it low enough to to look in the windows. That’s a privacy thing. I’d call the police again and tell them he is a peeping tom. Also, if it’s really that low and in your backyard, you have every right to take it out. Hit it with a broom or throw a towel over it.

Sorry but your advice is incorrect.

If anyone has a concern that their privacy is being invaded, it’s best that they call the police and let an officer handle it, No one should resort to downing drones regardless of where you live (USA). The Federal Aviation Administration considers a drone an "aircraft."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman