DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Neighbor went crazy on me

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in an HOA unfortunately and my neighbor next door who is normally the same type of opinion based person as me when he saw her after she left I went over and talked to him and he at first was saying well maybe put them away for a little bit you don't want to be labeled a pervert. Then I told him after my research what I believed Florida law to be that as long as I'm not using my footage if tthey or they proposers or me in my shot for surveillance of them then it's ok. Juat wish I knew for sure. She said also I heard you had drones. I'm waiting for an hoa ban. Yea flying over the neighborhood to has been the normal because of the virus. I never fly less than 350 feet until my property to land. Mostly sun and scenic shots anyways.

anyone have any concrete Florida law proof. The funny thing is a sheriff deputy lives right next door to her to.
I would show them your drone, especially the kids. Let them see its benign. Let the kids fly it, or maybe the husband. Show them that you cant spy with them. I get it why people get freaked out. You have to break down the barriers. As far as the HOA they cant regulate the airspace above.

She must had really driven the point of creeper and pervert home. This is ridiculous now. Taken to a new level. Police driving around is now going to far. They really are patrolling
I'd put up the drone and take pretty pictures of the patrol cars

I'm far from an expert.... but I'd say at the distance above ground you were flying your HOA has no control over that space... that air space belongs to the Federal Government....

A goodly number of years ago I was out working in my yard and a dern helicopter kept flying over pretty low and hovering just over our house... seemed like they were watching me. I actually thought, just for a second, about going in the house and getting my pellet rifle and peppering it..... one of the voices in my head said that was a bad idea.... later I found out the vice president (George Bush 1) was about 5 blocks away attending a party..... I suspect if I had not listened to that voice, I would not be typing this today.

I don’t usually fly from my house, but I have been recently due to being on lock down. Last week my neighbor yelled at me over his fence. He said if I flew it in "his air space” we would have a problem. I told him that if he ever speaks to me again, I’ll make him move his fence that we both know is on my property. Haven’t seen him since. ?

I don’t usually fly from my house, but I have been recently due to being on lock down. Last week my neighbor yelled at me over his fence. He said if I flew it in "his air space” we would have a problem. I told him that if he ever speaks to me again, I’ll make him move his fence that we both know is on my property. Haven’t seen him since. ?
Good one John. I wish all drone conflicts were that easy to solve...lol....

Reactions: John S and Marcius
People really are paranoid about drones to the point they threaten violence. This past week there were posts on a neighborhood app in my area talking about drones flying around. Everyone thinks they are being spied on and are saying they will shot the drone down. Some even offering 1000 dollars to anyone that shoots down drones. Its troubling to see so many act this way towards drones.
police told these people it isn’t an issue but they still mad.

So 3 weeks in to the hobby and had a neighbor now come to me angry.

last evening I was flying during sunset and shooting the sun. Well today I take off a little bit ago and I was 300 ft over her house flying forward. Not stationary mind you. Well I see this car pull up to my driveway and this woman jumps out and says are you flying a drone. I replied yes. She said well last evening we were getting ready for camping in our back yard and a drone scared my young son as he was in the tent getting ready for camping. We thought maybe its a pervert but it came right down over us. I called the police and they said they weren't using any drones.

I said well if it came right down over you guys then that wasn't me. I am flying legal when I fly. She says well ok I love in the big house with the red roof. Trying to be a hot shot the way she said that.

she then replies well they are patrolling for a drone now in the evening and night.

I am in Florida. What if any laws could I be in violation of?

last evening I was flying during sunset and shooting the sun. Well today I take off a little bit ago and I was 300 ft over her house flying forward. Not stationary mind you. Well I see this car pull up to my driveway and this woman jumps out and says are you flying a drone. I replied yes. She said well last evening we were getting ready for camping in our back yard and a drone scared my young son as he was in the tent getting ready for camping. We thought maybe its a pervert but it came right down over us. I called the police and they said they weren't using any drones.

I said well if it came right down over you guys then that wasn't me. I am flying legal when I fly. She says well ok I love in the big house with the red roof. Trying to be a hot shot the way she said that.

she then replies well they are patrolling for a drone now in the evening and night.

I had one neighbor ask why I was flying a drone in the neighborhood...and was it legal. I explained why it was legal and that I was training to become a mission pilot for the Civil Air Patrol to do Search and Rescue or take photos of disaster areas. She wished me well once she understood. Later on, I stopped by a yard sale wearing my Licensed Drone Pilot reflective vest. She told me about a drone that had flown high near her house and asked if it was mine. I said, "Probably" and explained about CAP. She, too, wished me well.
Attached is a panorama of a small portion of my neighborhood and some hills around my home...stitched, using ICE, from photos taken while hovering over my house. (I also have ArcSoft Panorama Maker, but chose not to use that).

Attachments

• Neighborhood Panorama_ICE stitch 1.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 23

I know I'm a bit late but, you mention flying during sunset so (just technically) you may have been possibly violating the "flying during civil twilight" rule. These days it's around 8pm until 8:30pm. Technically you need to have anti-collision lights. I know it's a little detail but had to bring it up.

Last Fall flying over our towns community garden taking pictures of my wife's plantings a neighboring plot owner complained "look. the town is spying on us!" My wife laughed and said "oh that's not the city spying, its my husbands drone." She introduced me and I showed him the photos I had taken. He calmed down quickly, offered me a beer out of his cooler and then asked "can you take some of my plot?" We have since become friendly and he posted the pics of his garden on his Facebook, proud as a peacock. Some times things can work out.

Stacys garden.JPG

I fly almost every night we have clouds for a sunset. I go up 200-400 feet. My drone is ALWAYS in sight and ALWAYS over the top of my house. So far haven't had any problems whatsoever. Of course I have images to prove what I was using the drone for. From the attached image there is very little ground or buildings in the image. Since I live in a blue area but still close to the airport I do have a variance supplied by DJI to fly in my backyard. Still trying to understand why I had to complain to DJI and get a variance. When I clearly live in a blue zone. Vegas Sunset.jpg

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Last Fall flying over our towns community garden taking pictures of my wife's plantings a neighboring plot owner complained "look. the town is spying on us!" My wife laughed and said "oh that's not the city spying, its my husbands drone." She introduced me and I showed him the photos I had taken. He calmed down quickly, offered me a beer out of his cooler and then asked "can you take some of my plot?" We have since become friendly and he posted the pics of his garden on his Facebook, proud as a peacock. Some times things can work out.

View attachment 100834
VERY Nice Shots. Good job. Keep it up.

I had one neighbor ask why I was flying a drone in the neighborhood...and was it legal. I explained why it was legal and that I was training to become a mission pilot for the Civil Air Patrol to do Search and Rescue or take photos of disaster areas. She wished me well once she understood. Later on, I stopped by a yard sale wearing my Licensed Drone Pilot reflective vest. She told me about a drone that had flown high near her house and asked if it was mine. I said, "Probably" and explained about CAP. She, too, wished me well.
Attached is a panorama of a small portion of my neighborhood and some hills around my home...stitched, using ICE, from photos taken while hovering over my house. (I also have ArcSoft Panorama Maker, but chose not to use that).

I want to Expand upon this Pilots answer because it is Critical to keep the Neighbors aware , you cannot just think that your neighbors will not care, because they will. Fear is everywhere.

1. Sign up to your Neighbor Hood at Nextdoor.com

2. Let everyone know that you are training for Search and Rescue and what that might include.

3 Post pictures from time to time letting people see your pictures.
we post weather pictures quite often and often people ask us to post more.

4. it goes a long way to make your drone look like its a Search and Rescue Drone , I cant tell you how important that is. You dont want people saying that it doesnt look like one.

5. Let them know when your flying at night that your doing a Perimeter check of the area, Post the video.

Post what your willing to do for your community: find dogs, cats kids, river spills , lake weather, tornado watches, the more reasons the better.

Here our some pictures i have posted :
Screen-Shot-2019-05-03-at-5-23-21-PM-5cccb1d63a369-1381x562 (1).png

3:am tornado watch

Ligntning-strike-5cac00912ce5c-1381x763.jpg
Screen-Shot-2019-09-13-at-10-57-06-PM-5dd4e6ca0a2e7-1381x771.png

Screen-Shot-2019-09-13-at-10-54-35-PM-5dd4e6bb349bb-1381x778.png

Screenshot 05-09-2020 12.36.04.jpg

The most important aspect is to make your drone look like a Search and Rescue drone.

Add a Wet Suit , lights and a hook and your set up .

Every drone Pilot should be part of the Search and Rescue in the Neighboor hood.

Screenshot 05-09-2020 12.41.33.jpg

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in and out of the Storm.
Coal

I want to Expand upon this Pilots answer because it is Critical to keep the Neighbors aware , you cannot just think that your neighbors will not care, because they will. Fear is everywhere.

1. Sign up to your Neighbor Hood at Nextdoor.com

2. Let everyone know that you are training for Search and Rescue and what that might include.

3 Post pictures from time to time letting people see your pictures.
we post weather pictures quite often and often people ask us to post more.

4. it goes a long way to make your drone look like its a Search and Rescue Drone , I cant tell you how important that is. You dont want people saying that it doesnt look like one.

5. Let them know when your flying at night that your doing a Perimeter check of the area, Post the video.

Post what your willing to do for your community: find dogs, cats kids, river spills , lake weather, tornado watches, the more reasons the better.

Here our some pictures i have posted :
View attachment 100857

3:am tornado watch

View attachment 100858
View attachment 100859

View attachment 100860

View attachment 100862

The most important aspect is to make your drone look like a Search and Rescue drone.

Add a Wet Suit , lights and a hook and your set up .

Every drone Pilot should be part of the Search and Rescue in the Neighboor hood.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in and out of the Storm.
Coal
This is America. Well at least for me it is. I'm not going to "Make my drone look like a search and rescue drone" for multiple reasons. Biggest one is that it is misleading and in someways dishonest. This is America. Land of the free. My gun collection expands 6 yes 6 (84 gun capacity each) full. Now I must state this about my gun collection because there is a member in this thread that essentially insinuates that everyone that owns a gun or anyone that draws on its legalities for comparison for us here in the States will shoot somebody or is planning too. That's nuts and also disgusting behavior and it's even more disgusting and more repulsive when said individual firmly believes that. You can normally tell the people that don't like guns but are smart enough to understand it doesn't kill people. But this certain community member has some serious issues to work through. But back to my original topic.

Does she need to tell me when she is going to camp in her backyard? No.

I have one higher authority that controls me. The FAA. If I'm legal in the eyes then that's all that matters.

Last edited:
Great advice. I have already done 1&2. Now need to post some photos. Btw...Your photos are GREAT!

CAP does not use drones for SAR over water. We have Cessna 172s and 182s for that. In that regard, I am a Mission Observer (navigator) and Airborne Photographer.

Now, two questions for you. 1) How do you put photos in messages? I have only been able to make attachments. 2) How do I start a new post, not a reply?

Last edited:
What people need to know is, also what you need to tell people is you may not be the only one flying the drone. There could be other people but because they just see you and the drone, they think All drones in the air are flown by you. Now, this can be a great stereotype for other things but also a negative one as well. It's like if you are the only one with a red Lamborghini then when they see one they think it's you but in fact there could be more than one w/ the same make, model, and color. It's kind of like racial profiling. When I fly, no one seems to care and in fact, they like it by smiling at the drone but this is New Jersey where most of the people who are outside are social. If questions are asked, just answer them and let people know you may not be the only one who is flying. Give them some kind of brochure to show them about the hobby and the commercial aspects of it so they can feel more at ease. Hopefully, you can all end on a good note if not we might have to tack on more accessories and packages to ensure proper workflow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78