DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Neighbor went crazy on me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to hear about you nasty neighbor....sound like she has a real problem.....I also live in Florida in a retirement community ( 55+) and I have NEVER had that problem with my neighbors.....when I am flying they like to come out and watch....maybe she will calm down as she gets older..

I am in Florida. What if any laws could I be in violation of?
I live in Florida too - to answer your question - no there were no Florida state laws that are any different from the normal FAA rules and regulations.

State parks prohibit takeoff and landing. Cities may have local ordinances but I haven’t heard Of any myself.

i’ve had Similar things happen and what I do is try to explain reality, explain that I truly had no intentions of anything malfeasant and so on.

I’ve also pointed out that as far as taking pictures that might violate privacy I could pretty much do the same with my camera or phone.

If they threaten to call the sheriff I simply state that I don’t believe I’m violating any laws but if They feel better doing that please do. So far they haven’t.

I just don’t believe you should fly around your neighbourhood from your home if it’s a built up area. Someone putting a drone over my house would p me off ... we as a hobby need to be ultra considerate I think ... do unto others as they say
My home is right up against Woods's. That was where I would fly it around. I would t be as mad if I did something punishable. My lady's 7 lb dog got run over right on front of us. He snuck out and some teenager going no less tha 55 ran right over her. Yes she ran into the road but had that girl been doing the speed limit would t have happened.

where is the people calling on that crap. Kids playing in the street could get killed. It yet a drone not even over your house. Over a vast wooded area behind your house you call. She's got to be kidding. The policecoming through 2 times is now making this a new level ordeal. Ms. Trespasser our there yelling when my 3 year old nephew was there. Real appropriate. Her son is a snowflake and she thinks that she is something. I'm am beyond enraged now they drove by twice.

Jon - attached are the Fl statues and FAA fact sheet on Drone regulation and laws. You were clearly above the 100' requirement, and therefore in FAA Regulated airspace. No local jurisdiction has authority there.
You will note in the FL Statute that a complainant must show "intent to survelliance" of her house. Wish her good luck on that.

Attachments

• State and Local Regulation of UAS Fact Sheet Final 12172015.pdf
    79.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 2015 FL Statute 934.pdf
    60 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: WobblingWillie
She must had really driven the point of creeper and pervert home. This is ridiculous now. Taken to a new level. Police driving around is now going to far. They really are patrolling
Don't worry about it. THe extra police patrols are good for you and the whole neighborhood. I was good friends with my neighbors but when I flew my P3 NEAR their property, looking at my property, I got a text from her that only said "Stop spying, you pervert!!". Like I said, some people go from normal to psycho instantly. SHe even put a sign on their edge of the pond that reads "You + drone = pervert". I don't worry about it. I go on and live my life the way I want. I also went ahead and told my wither neighborsd about the incident.

Reactions: desertvet38
I just don’t believe you should fly around your neighbourhood from your home if it’s a built up area. Someone putting a drone over my house would p me off ... we as a hobby need to be ultra considerate I think ... do unto others as they say
I emphatically disagree. I don't believe that giving in to their stupidity and paranoia will help us in any way.

Don't worry about it. THe extra police patrols are good for you and the whole neighborhood. I was good friends with my neighbors but when I flew my P3 NEAR their property, looking at my property, I got a text from her that only said "Stop spying, you pervert!!". Like I said, some people go from normal to psycho instantly. SHe even put a sign on their edge of the pond that reads "You + drone = pervert". I don't worry about it. I go on and live my life the way I want. I also went ahead and told my wither neighborsd about the incident.
We live in a security guard gated community and plus woth my background and exatension firearm collection not really worried about anything happening. They had to be let in by security guards at one of the gates so they obviously had to go out of their way

I emphatically disagree. I don't believe that giving in to their stupidity and paranoia will help us in any way.
This is properly the most agreeable post I had ever had seen. Why do I have to make special accommodations for people when I'm not breaking the law. No one slows down after killing our dog. No one picks up their dog crap and I do.
At what point does America lose its land of the free if you can't do what is legal. I don't like her sleeping in the back yard woth her snowflake son. Making to much noise this far away I should report. See how that goes you insane woman.

Reactions: Kingram and Drgnfli
See Florida had a state law come out that local municipalities are not able to create their own drone laws. That's why I'm really confused as if that is true based on my research and understanding.

Florida does have the law that no images video or anything nit Ike that of property private or not can be taken without consentif it is purely for Surveillance
Do yourself a favor: reach out to local law enforcement, introduce yourself, explain what you intend to do (and are doing) so that you become a known commodity to them and IF there is continued unfavorable interaction between you and your neighbor that you have made a record of your concerns and will appear to be the reasonable concerned party in any further action (likely civil if there is no criminal violation). Police will likely recommend you avoid the conflict and find a way to fly without aggravating the situation (conflict resolution = less chance of an escalating neighbor dispute they would become involved in). This may not be the answer you want to hear, but it WILL reinforce your position in their eyes and more importantly in the records management system.

By taking the first step to alert police to a potential problem down the road, you might very well cause a pause in the development of the problem. Even thought your neighbor is on the job, I would avoid approaching he/she off duty out of respect for their personal time and space and so that you get a more objective person involved. They are likely aware of the issue or will be, and if they reach out to you different story.

We call if FloriDUH for a reason . . . . .

Reactions: pelagic_one
My home is right up against Woods's. That was where I would fly it around. I would t be as mad if I did something punishable. My lady's 7 lb dog got run over right on front of us. He snuck out and some teenager going no less tha 55 ran right over her. Yes she ran into the road but had that girl been doing the speed limit would t have happened.

where is the people calling on that crap. Kids playing in the street could get killed. It yet a drone not even over your house. Over a vast wooded area behind your house you call. She's got to be kidding. The policecoming through 2 times is now making this a new level ordeal. Ms. Trespasser our there yelling when my 3 year old nephew was there. Real appropriate. Her son is a snowflake and she thinks that she is something. I'm am beyond enraged now they drove by twice.
Being enraged is a natural reaction. I already got through that stage. I'm now at the stage where I think her paranoia is hilarious. Sometimes I fly over the pond just to see what the latest iteration of her sign is.

As one responder has already mentioned, take your drone up to the max 400’ and then proceed on with your freestyle flight or Intelligent Flight Model. Then have your Return To Home set for 121 meters so you approach your property at max altitude and land from directly above.

Almost everyone in my neighborhood has a pool so I know drone flight can be an enemy maker. But one thing, NEVER hover even over your own property at low altitude.

Best to you and yours and don’t be intimidated.

Being enraged is a natural reaction. I already got through that stage. I'm now at the stage where I think her paranoia is hilarious. Sometimes I fly over the pond just to see what the latest iteration of her sign is.
I wonder how long this extra police prescience will last. I'm not surprised they came. Maybe twice I am because no one is out and about they have nothing to do.

I live in FL, in a HOA controlled development and I routinely fly from by lanai. I don't hover over homes, but because I near the front it's pretty easy for me to take off and within a minute I'm out over the woods. One resident knew I flew drones and wanted me to fly over his house and neighbors and take pictures so he could prove his neighbor was breaking some rule. I explained to him that was something I could ABSOLUTELY not do as it would be illegal. He was the one who was upset because I would not help him. I've never had any complaints at all. Now, we did have a few complaints because kids (and I'm sure dads) got drones for Christmas and they were flying around at about 30 feet. That freaked out a few folks :)

Reactions: gwc
I wonder how long this extra police prescience will last. I'm not surprised they came. Maybe twice I am because no one is out and about they have nothing to do.
If they patrol while you're outside, stop them and thank them for the patrols and tell them how it makes you feel safer against the speeders. ;)

So 3 weeks in to the hobby and had a neighbor now come to me angry.

last evening I was flying during sunset and shooting the sun. Well today I take off a little bit ago and I was 300 ft over her house flying forward. Not stationary mind you. Well I see this car pull up to my driveway and this woman jumps out and says are you flying a drone. I replied yes. She said well last evening we were getting ready for camping in our back yard and a drone scared my young son as he was in the tent getting ready for camping. We thought maybe its a pervert but it came right down over us. I called the police and they said they weren't using any drones.

I said well if it came right down over you guys then that wasn't me. I am flying legal when I fly. She says well ok I love in the big house with the red roof. Trying to be a hot shot the way she said that.

she then replies well they are patrolling for a drone now in the evening and night.

I am in Florida. What if any laws could I be in violation of?
I never fly over urban areas and prefer to fly over countryside. No people, no problems!

I wonder how long this extra police prescience will last
Do yourself a favor: reach out to local law enforcement, introduce yourself, explain what you intend to do (and are doing) so that you become a known commodity to them and IF there is continued unfavorable interaction between you and your neighbor that you have made a record of your concerns and will appear to be the reasonable concerned party in any further action (likely civil if there is no criminal violation). Police will likely recommend you avoid the conflict and find a way to fly without aggravating the situation (conflict resolution = less chance of an escalating neighbor dispute they would become involved in). This may not be the answer you want to hear, but it WILL reinforce your position in their eyes and more importantly in the records management system.

By taking the first step to alert police to a potential problem down the road, you might very well cause a pause in the development of the problem. Even thought your neighbor is on the job, I would avoid approaching he/she off duty out of respect for their personal time and space and so that you get a more objective person involved. They are likely aware of the issue or will be, and if they reach out to you different story.

We call if FloriDUH for a reason . . . . .
It really is sad that I would even have to do that when I'm not breaking any laws. That's like me telling the cops oh I going to be on the turnpike today and I drive 100mph getting on the on ramp and for the first mile.

that's breaking a law and letting them know about it. Me flying a drone within legal guidelines and not hover over her home andflying almost at 400 feet high isn't so telling the police what I'm doing is a hard one to swallow. Now should this goto civil court or something I'd love to see it. Sure now I would have to dish out $850 an hour attorney fee for one my lawyer but I would to make a point. At some point I'm tired of always having to bend
or understanding when no one else is or does.

When the police stop coming around I'll calm down. I was fine but when I saw that twice last night I went insane.

I don't know how the law is where you live but here rules are strict. We can't go over any personnal properties, public parks, peoples or animals. We need to respect a good distance from any of those.

With DJI, we have the chance that every flight with the drone is loged so in case anyone complain about us, we can show the authorities that we respected every laws and did not fly over them.

In the U.S., it's not illegal to fly in our neighborhoods. There is no reason not to.

I regularly fly around my neighborhood. There is nothing inconsiderate about it. One person being PO'd is not justification for me not enjoying my hobby or profession.

I don't know how the law is where you live but here rules are strict. We can't go over any personnal properties, public parks, peoples or animals. We need to respect a good distance from any of those.

With DJI, we have the chance that every flight with the drone is loged so in case anyone complain about us, we can show the authorities that we respected every laws and did not fly over them.
hopefully it doesn't get to that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet