DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New acronym: ATOP = Above Take-Off Point

Xtreme Drone Pilot

Reactions
Since we often refer to altitude above take-off point, which is different from AGL and AMSL, I coined a new abbreviation, ATOP = Above Take-Off Point. Example of usage: "DJI limits Mavic to 500m ATOP, but doesn't mention this in the product sheet. Tsk, tsk, tsk, DJI!" :D

Please add to AACU list and let's use it! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: hryzec
Since we often refer to altitude above take-off point, which is different from AGL and AMSL, I coined a new abbreviation, ATOP = Above Take-Off Point. Example of usage: "DJI limits Mavic to 500m ATOP, but doesn't mention this in the product sheet. Tsk, tsk, tsk, DJI!" :D

Please add to AACU list and let's use it! :)
Perhaps members of this forum could create a Mavic Wiki -- crowdsourcing contributions for the manual that DJI hasn't really written. With evolving FAQ's for each software/firmware version.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Others: take off Meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary
apparently takeoff, take-off, and take off are all correct.

But for the purposes of the OP, ATA is confused with "approximate time [of] arrival" which figures heavily in aeronautical-speak
What the OP wants to define is a reference plane to be used when describing height above (or below) the Mavic takeoff point. The common aeronautical term for a reference plane is a level - eg Above Ground Level or Mean Sea Level - so Altitude does not really fit anyway. Plus altitude changes with respect to the reference plane, so you cannot use that term for the reference plane itself.

ATA is not listed in Bowditch's American Practical Navigator. According to Bowditch, the correct acronym is ETA for estimated time of arrival.

I like everybody's suggestions. Personally, I'm going to use ATOP. "My Mavic is 501m ATOP of me. Good. The modded FW works. I'm happy. I'm atop of the world now!" :D

BTOP needed too ... ;)
Absolutely!

For anyone who has flown in a mountainous region, you can easily be below the takeoff level! Rather than inventing two acronyms, why not create an acronym that is "relative" to the number being referenced? For example, -100 RTL would mean -100-ft (m?) Relative (to) Takeoff Level or, 100-ft below takeoff level and 56 RTL would be 56-ft (m?) ABOVE takeoff level.

Just a thought...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
User711