DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Canadian rules

If you're Canadian take an hour or so and read through the entire document in the link maxpower posted.
Lots of "need to know" info there including rules, cost of tests, penalties, definitions, etc.
A couple of rules that got my attention are than we now (as of June 1st, 2019) have to log all our flights and keep for 12 months from date of flight and we must have a copy of the manufacturer's operations manual on hand when we fly (see the document for details).
I saved the doc as a pdf for later review.
And also any maintenance performed on the aircraft (24 months). I think it was in the thread on phantompilots.com I had posted a few of these items including an increase to 12 hours from 8 of "bottle to throttle."

The test is available now but the regulations start on June 1. I don’t think I have a huge problem with registering and doing the basic knowledge test. It seems like a reasonable request by the government. What the problem is for me,is lumping other fixed wing hobby craft into the same test. I don’t fly a friggin mini airplane,I fly a quad. Sooo completely different! Has anybody here actually done the test yet? I’d be very interested to read some details.
Also,I’d like to congratulate our federal government for finding YET ANOTHER way to create jobs and revenue for “drone schools” who have for the last couple of years been lobbying the government to create rules that would allow and endorse them to charge hundreds of dollars to teach us all how to comply with the same rules that TC has basically already had in place since 2017/18... registering and licensing myself to fly my Mavic in EXACTLY the same places that I am able to fly right now,just kinda bugs me. Doing the test,registering my drone,being licensed as a hobby drone pilot....still doesn’t open up ANY place to fly,that I can’t already fly. Sorry for the rant part of my post.

If you're Canadian take an hour or so and read through the entire document in the link maxpower posted.
Lots of "need to know" info there including rules, cost of tests, penalties, definitions, etc.
A couple of rules that got my attention are than we now (as of June 1st, 2019) have to log all our flights and keep for 12 months from date of flight and we must have a copy of the manufacturer's operations manual on hand when we fly (see the document for details).
I saved the doc as a pdf for later review.
My understanding is the keeping of a log of all flights is only for people with the advanced licence. I will have to look at CARS again to make sure.

I'll try to stay legal as well but I don't have to like it nor agree with it.
IMHO we Canuks are too ready to accept whatever is foisted on us by industry, government and special interest groups. This new legislation, at first glance, stinks of all three.

So much for my rant.
Have fun, fly safely.
**** right it does!

In the referenced doc, go to section 901.48.
It's before the "advanced" sections.
Just checked again and you are correct. Also seems we must have the owners manual for our drone on hand too.

Yeah for us dji store bought units go app stores all the flight info.. Again if anyone ever asks.. It's a bunch of added stuff for the possibility of being asked.

Not sure I would do that,but as yet I’ve not seen what the government of Canada expects folks like you to do if you want to fly here.

I found that in the same spot you register your drone, there is a selection option for temporary permits for flying. I’m assuming that is their way of allowing tourist to fly.

LOGS. lol. yeah. i'm not logging my flights. jesus. i like to see if its a nice day, put it up there, take some pictures. maybe capture a sunset. do they think i'm going to put hours aside to do a 15 minute flight? besides, DJI logs your flights.. if you have airdata, you can sync that info there.. Theres my logs..

Reactions: mad monkey
And not like repair logs are even useful.. It's not like an aircraft where you need a certification to work. On it, it's a **** drone from. Bestbuy lol

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MSPencer