DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Canadian rules

Did you use the existing regulations or the new ones? What reference material did you have on hand? Thanks

the new ones. this is for the new regulations. Just did google search, and have the CARs opened to search and did some guessing

Well - I just finished the online Basic Small Exam = 35 questions and 90 minutes to complete. I did no reading before the exam (have basic knowledge of Canadian Aviation Regulation) but have a number of hours flying with friends that are lucky enough to have airplanes.... I passed with 90% but was VERY surprised by some of the questions... part way through I was not sure I wasn’t writing for a “private pilot license” so - I guess I have more than a basic knowledge (now that I see this in writing...) I think that it may be pretty close to the US part 107 license.... Guess I am going to have to get me an orange vest (CERTIFIED PILOT) PFO (Please **** Off) printed on it..... as now (June 1st) in Canada, you don’t have a choice about whether or not you are a (recreational pilot) or commercial .... if it weights more than 2/3 of a pound you gots to register it AND be “Certified” to pilot it.... hmmmmmmmmm

Reactions: mad monkey
Do you have to pay to retake it?
Was considering going into the advanced test and checking out the difficulty level but not if I have to pay each try.
From what I can tell, yes, I'll have to re-pay to sit the exam - may just wait till closer to June like one of the other members noted - no sense in paying and burning 5 months of certification.

Haven't taken the exam yet but I presume there were questions on:
Air Law
Navigation
Meteorology
Airframes and systems
Theory of flight
Flight operations
Human factors
Radio telephony?

some questions are just crazy. I got a question that i need to look at a map and answer some magnetic variation of a place..i'm like wth is that.

I didn't get the air current question thank goodness but i asked my friend who is a PHD in environmental science, he couldn't even answer that question right away. he said it depends what type it is, so the question wasn't clear

Reactions: Supguy
Haven't taken the exam yet but I presume there were questions on:
Air Law
Navigation
Meteorology
Airframes and systems
Theory of flight
Flight operations
Human factors
Radio telephony?

The questions are random each time, but the categories seem about right.

I registered my drone and wrote and passed the exam this afternoon.
They have made the exam as difficult as they could in my opinion.
There are questions on all the different areas. But if you use common sense and have a bit of basic knowledge, it’s not bad at all.
I passed it on the first attempt, you only need 65%
You can take it once every 24 hrs it said if you didn’t pass on the first attempt.
Registration cost $5
The basic exam cost $10
Good luck!

By making it so difficult they are ensuring that people try. Fail and continue to Fly 'illegally'

That is if most hobbiest actually do it. Many will think it doesn't apply to them.

But also remember there isn't any new amount of enforcement angecy..

Reactions: nevernamed
Yeah I agree with Mad Monkey.. I think a lot will fly illegally after failing once or twice.. Of course, they could enfore ID upon purchase and registration at the store, much like Bell did with ExpressVU satellite tv when piracy was a major issue.. You had to present id upon purchase and they registered that online with the receiver serial # and smart card ID #

Is anyone else confused or concerned about the new rule stating you need to be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident in order to be licensed to fly a drone?
That to me is very concerning. Does that mean anyone coming to Canada suddenly can’t fly a drone here? What if other countries adopt the same policy? Suddenly no one will be able to fly anywhere other than their home country.

Am I interpreting this right?
I'm wondering if there will eventually be reciprocity like there is for driving licenses. Eventually it would be good if Canada and the US would recognize the equivalent license.

By the way, in terms of whether to apply for the basic or advanced pilot certificate there is no point in getting the advanced certificate unless you have a safe compliant aircraft like the Matrice. When I registered my Phantom 4 the other day the TC website said because the drone was not SAFE compliant I could only fly in class G airspace and not over people.

I don't plan on getting a really expensive enterprise class aircraft so it looks like it will be basic for me.

Take a look at the following link.

Canada Gazette, Part 2, Volume 153, Number 1: Regulations Amending the Canadian Aviation Regulations (Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems)

Scroll down to:
Table 2: Key assumptions in estimating the costs to pilots
Table 3: Summary of fee and time costs to RPAS pilots

Transport Canada estimates a failure rate of 15% on 1st attempt and 0% on 2nd attempt.
They also state 3 hours of studying for Basic test and 7 hours of studying for Advanced test.

And it looks like all pilots will be required to stay recent with certification every 2 years (Basic and Advanced). The good thing is that it looks like Transport Canada will have some kind of recency questionnaire available for us to take with no fees associated (I hope).

Reactions: Ken K
I'm wondering if there will eventually be reciprocity like there is for driving licenses. Eventually it would be good if Canada and the US would recognize the equivalent license.

By the way, in terms of whether to apply for the basic or advanced pilot certificate there is no point in getting the advanced certificate unless you have a safe compliant aircraft like the Matrice. When I registered my Phantom 4 the other day the TC website said because the drone was not SAFE compliant I could only fly in class G airspace and not over people.

I don't plan on getting a really expensive enterprise class aircraft so it looks like it will be basic for me.
I planned on getting the advanced license but found the same thing when I registered my Mavic Air and my Phantom 3. It said the manufacturer had not submitted the RPAS safety assurance declaration (printed that right on the registration certificates) therefore they cannot be flown in restricted areas or over/near people. No point in getting the advanced license if the drones can’t be used in circumstances that the advanced license is intended for.

Take a look at the following link.

Canada Gazette, Part 2, Volume 153, Number 1: Regulations Amending the Canadian Aviation Regulations (Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems)

Scroll down to:
Table 2: Key assumptions in estimating the costs to pilots
Table 3: Summary of fee and time costs to RPAS pilots

Transport Canada estimates a failure rate of 15% on 1st attempt and 0% on 2nd attempt.
They also state 3 hours of studying for Basic test and 7 hours of studying for Advanced test.

And it looks like all pilots will be required to stay recent with certification every 2 years (Basic and Advanced). The good thing is that it looks like Transport Canada will have some kind of recency questionnaire available for us to take with no fees associated (I hope).

If you're Canadian take an hour or so and read through the entire document in the link maxpower posted.
Lots of "need to know" info there including rules, cost of tests, penalties, definitions, etc.
A couple of rules that got my attention are than we now (as of June 1st, 2019) have to log all our flights and keep for 12 months from date of flight and we must have a copy of the manufacturer's operations manual on hand when we fly (see the document for details).
I saved the doc as a pdf for later review.

Reactions: maxpower
TransportCanada just posted a new video

Reactions: maxpower
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada