DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Canadian rules

Is this the basic or advanced test???

basic.. be prepared to be asked about NOTAMS, wing shape names (from different views). all sorts of weird stuff that doesn't really apply.. There's even some questions about notams/weather etc that wouldn't really apply to low altitude flights...

So do we need to do some over priced class to fly? Or just take the basic.. I hate all the confusion around this

You can take it over and over if you fail without paying again, I passed on my first try with limited knowledge about drones. You can have another window open to look stuff up if in doubt and you have PLENTY of time.

*another poster is saying you do have to pay again, so maybe I’m mistake.

Last edited:
Reactions: mad monkey
With only 65% needed for a pass on the basic exam those odd questions that seem out of place as far as drone knowledge goes should not be too much of a problem. I will do the test today.

You can take it over and over if you fail without paying again, I passed on my first try with limited knowledge about drones. You can have another window open to look stuff up if in doubt and you have PLENTY of time.

Must wait 24 hrs between each time trying to pass the test. Plus you have to pay each time you take it.

Reactions: mad monkey
As a tourist to Canada, I guess I will just have to fly illegally. :-/

Must wait 24 hrs between each time trying to pass the test. Plus you have to pay each time you take it.

I saw the 24 hours but was under the impression you don’t have to pay. Are you sure?

I just did my basic, I've never studied anything drone related and had to google a few of the questions to get info.
It isn't hard, but it is a bit nonsensical.
Why do I need to know how many degrees are in a timezone for flying a drone?
I also got one question that specifically asked about flying within a restricted airspace which isn't even part of the basic license flying.
I get that there's a guideline but where are the answers? Do they expect people to search every single category?

I think I'll wait until May to write the test. Why bother burning off five months of the certificate unnecessarily since it isn't law until June 1st? If you take the test today, I don't suppose they are making the new certificates expire on June 1st 2021? So why would I write it early?

I saw the 24 hours but was under the impression you don’t have to pay. Are you sure?
Yes very sure. I just now finished the test. Passed easily although I did google 3 times.

I think I'll wait until May to write the test. Why bother burning off five months of the certificate unnecessarily since it isn't law until June 1st? If you take the test today, I don't suppose they are making the new certificates expire on June 1st 2021? So why would I write it early?

the basic certificate does not expire, I don't think... Mine has no expiration date on it

can someone screenshot the questions to help others out? lol

Reactions: Supguy
Just checked on the website and it seems that the new regs come into force in June.

Prior to that the existing regs are being used. They don’t mention having to register, only have the craft carry your name, address and telephone number.

Am I ok to take it that not mentioning it means I’m ok to fly with no registration before then?

Nope. They expect you to pay $800 to take a course.

Maybe take a course for the advanced level but defiantly not required for the basic level.

Just checked on the website and it seems that the new regs come into force in June.

Prior to that the existing regs are being used. They don’t mention having to register, only have the craft carry your name, address and telephone number.

Am I ok to take it that not mentioning it means I’m ok to fly with no registration before then?
Yes you don't need to register and pass the test until June 1st. Until then you do need your name and address on your drone.

the basic certificate does not expire, I don't think... Mine has no expiration date on it
I was wondering the same thing. No expiration date on the basic certificate so not sure if it expires.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr James