DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Canadian rules

According to Transport Canada & MAAC if you are flying a remote control plane, helicopter or drone on a MAAC registered field and airspace you do not need to register or have a permit; as long as you have MAAC membership and flying on a MAAC registered field. Cheers

MAAC can bite my patootie.

Reactions: Dizzy1971
This was posted over on the DJI forum.

"I was just reading the text of the new law and I'm realising that it is very strict. Check out the following.

903.01 No person shall conduct any of the following operations using a remotely piloted aircraft system that includes a remotely piloted aircraft having a maximum take-off weight of 250 g (0.55 pounds) or more unless the person complies with the provisions of a special flight operations certificate — RPAS issued by the Minister under section 903.03:

(c) the operation of a system by a foreign operator or pilot who has been authorized to operate remotely piloted aircraft systems by the foreign state;

That means they have to be lawfuly authorised to fly in their country and request a special flight operations certificate probably before arrival. Very serious stuff, fines start at $1000 CAD."

If that's the case (and I'll willingly plead ignorance) then TC have gone bonkers.

Last edited:
TC responded to a question by email from somebody in a facebook group that I'm in regarding people and distances. They basically said if everybody knows its there, its ok to fly it around them as long as you're being safe.. IE a family gathering for photos, or whatever.. So right there, is a conflict in the official wording of the rules.

It's probably not a conflict but just something they won't enforce. Consider driving down the street in a posted 50km/h zone. You're travelling at 59km/h and pass through a speed trap. Technically, you're breaking the law but the police officer conducting the speed trap isn't enforcing the law at 59km/hr as he is looking for vehicles going 65km/h or faster.

I like the fact that that the TC official actually sounds reasonable (no problem as long as you are flying safely.) That is something I can work with.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
It's probably not a conflict but just something they won't enforce. Consider driving down the street in a posted 50km/h zone. You're travelling at 59km/h and pass through a speed trap. Technically, you're breaking the law but the police officer conducting the speed trap isn't enforcing the law at 59km/hr as he is looking for vehicles going 65km/h or faster.

I like the fact that that the TC official actually sounds reasonable (no problem as long as you are flying safely.) That is something I can work with.

Until you run into inevitable idiot official who happens to also be a MAAC member ...?

Actually their is 20km buffer don’t pass 70
100km zone don’t pass 120km
70km don’t pass 90km
Through radar in all.
Just never in school zone!!

Actually their is 20km buffer don’t pass 70
100km zone don’t pass 120km
70km don’t pass 90km
Through radar in all.
Just never in school zone!!
Not exactly sure where you get a 20 Km buffer, police can and do ticket for 15 Km over all the time. Police in Canada, might be anywhere, have a lot of discretion they can write you up for 5 Km over or let you go after catching you doing 80 Km over.

You mentioned something about tire sizes in your follow up post, I think you might be thinking about a TC requirement that the speedometer on a vehicle must read within 10% of the correct speed.

Last edited:
Not exactly sure where you get a 20 Km buffer, police can and do ticket for 15 Km over all the time. Police in Canada, might be anyehere, have a lot of discretion they can write you up for 5 Km over or let you go after catching you doing 80 Km over.

You mentioned something about tire sizes in your follow up post, I think you might be thinking about a TC requirement that the speedometer on a vehicle must read within 10% of the correct speed.
I see a lot of tickets come through the office for fleet trucks that are 11km over so I try to stay under 10 over;)

I understand there is a different mindset for the younger generation. But doesn't googling the answers real-time defeat the entire idea of the test. The test is to confirm knowledge, not to confirm google skills. If the test is unreasonable then fine, fail it and complain. But to just cheat is a childlike solution to an adult problem. And to see the vast majority of posters not having an issue with this reminds me of why we need these new regulations and testing.
I am sorry.... not a great first post, but I felt something needed to be said.

I understand there is a different mindset for the younger generation. But doesn't googling the answers real-time defeat the entire idea of the test. The test is to confirm knowledge, not to confirm google skills. If the test is unreasonable then fine, fail it and complain. But to just cheat is a childlike solution to an adult problem. And to see the vast majority of posters not having an issue with this reminds me of why we need these new regulations and testing.

Welcome to the forum![emoji16]

Reactions: TimberWolf775

I understand the sentiment expressed here but....
If the government is going to impose all these silly regulations on basically ALL drones and then force tests on you loaded with questions that have absolutely nothing to do with and are totally irrelevant to flying hobby drones....google away! I have no issues with that...and trust me, I’m not what you would consider part of the “younger generation”.

I understand there is a different mindset for the younger generation. But doesn't googling the answers real-time defe. The test is to confirm knowledge, not to confirm google skills. If the test is unreasonable then fine, fail it and complain. But to just cheat is a childlike solution to an adult problem. And to see the vast majority of posters not having an issue with this reminds me of why we need these new regulations and testing.

I tend to agree with you. However, until there is a reasonably priced (or free) source for the information to be studied Google will be used. Courses are currently quoted at $600 - $800 and are not going to be an option for very many looking to pass the basic exam. A study guide, like those available for driver's tests, should already be available.

If the government is going to impose all these silly regulations

I wouldn't necessarily agree that the regulations are "silly". Certainly there seems to be some problems with how the new rules test/exam is being brought forward, but the regulations themselves which are mostly safety based seem quite reasonable, not silly.

I wouldn't necessarily agree that the regulations are "silly". Certainly there seems to be some problems with how the new rules test/exam is being brought forward, but the regulations themselves which are mostly safety based seem quite reasonable, not silly.
Yeah I agree with that. The regs needed updating and that part of the testing and licensing process is very valid imho. I think what people are posting about mainly are the questions in the testing which do in fact have no relevance to our particular hobby. Things like radio channels to use to call a tower or monitor manned aircraft activity in controlled airspace,where basic operators are specifically forbidden to fly,wing icing, etc.etc. I could go on.... this whole licensing roll out is just another Example of how our government takes something that doesn’t have to be all that complicated and completely screws it up. If TC wanted a smooth transition to the new regulations, maybe instead of having Garneau on tv every day,they should have been busy publishing the bloody handbook so people can look up the relevant information and study for the test. I fully understand why people are frustrated with these government clowns and why people are using search tools to look up information while taking the test.

I think there have been some valid observations on both sides of this discussion. I did, however, go searching for some online courses specifically created for these exams. Coastal Drone CO has their exam prep 2-hour course for $9.99. Their Advanced ground school is about $80. I am not affiliated with this company but I have looked at their social media and they seem profession.

Just wanted to add this.... so people know not everyone is charging $600-800

I think there have been some valid observations on both sides of this discussion. I did, however, go searching for some online courses specifically created for these exams. Coastal Drone CO has their exam prep 2-hour course for $9.99. Their Advanced ground school is about $80. I am not affiliated with this company but I have looked at their social media and they seem profession.

Just wanted to add this.... so people know not everyone is charging $600-800
Yep coastal drone has done a solid job of staying out front on preparing for the new regs they’ve done a good job of positioning their business to capture the online market with the content they’ve made themselves. So thumbs up to those folks. One thing to note,their basic ground school online course is 80 bux, the advanced is substantially more...almost 400 bux,however,still reasonable for the basic as u have mentioned.

Thanks for the correction Dizzy, I have owned a drone for less than a month, and now the rules are changing. So I am perhaps a little overwhelmed and confused from time to time!
I bought the basic exam prep course for $9.99 cnd I feel I am learning significant amounts information on things I didnt understand before. I am impressed so far.... very very impressed!

Well i have downloaded the pdf for making an application but most of it i have no idea about . So think my Mavic will be staying in the UK this summer.
The rules and what you have to do are crazy just for a hobbyist flyer . I attended a course here , but it wants all sorts of stuff . Nahhh i give up .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000