DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Canadian rules

I passed the Basic exam successfully. If it can help, I had a lot of questions that were referring to this document: Canada Gazette, Part 2, Volume 153, Number 1: Regulations Amending the Canadian Aviation Regulations (Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems)

The only frustration is I failed on questions where I am certain of the answer (according to what I read in www.tc.gc.ca documents) but the exam tool does not provide enough information to tell you why you answered wrongly (Now I am confused).

Even, I would love to have this exam more educational, by at the end providing the reference to documents we need to read.

For instance, I failed on a question about LiPo battery storage. the only hint I have is "Review battery theory and use". A link to the official document will be great.
Why is it when I get on government regulation websites am I instantly bamboozled? I again refer to the excelent process I went through to get my Boater's License in Ontario!
Clear, easy to follow, straight forward information, reasonable fees, and link to exam at the end of the information. WHATEVER CANADIAN GOVERNMENT AGENCY IS PROVIDING OVERSIGHT ON THIS, THEY SHOULD CONTACT THE BOATER'S LICENSE PEOPLE! OH, IT TRANSPORT CANADA AS WELL! OK, TAKE AN ELEVATOR TO THEIR FLOOR AND LEARN SOMETHING!

So I just got off the phone with the college here in Thunder Bay and they are in the process of setting up a course for the advanced certificate. Early days so no timeline, price or length yet but it's encouraging to see that they are already thinking about and working on it.
Cheers

Are there any strict rules now? If not, might as well book flights and go visit Canada before this comes into effect.

Are there any strict rules now? If not, might as well book flights and go visit Canada before this comes into effect.
In my opinion the current regulations are stricter. Max altitude is 300' no flying at night and no flying further than 500m even if you are still in VLOS. Most of the other current regulations are similar.
Cheers

Last edited:
Did you do all 3 parts of the test ?
Small Basic test 60% needed to pass
Small Advanced Operations test 80%
Flight review test 80%

Yes I passed as well. I don’t know anything about flying. Just googled everything.
Now I’m a pilot LOL

Just need to follow the TC rules.

TOOK THE ONLINE TEST 51% FAIL
I'd like to know where to find the information required. does one have to buy the entire aviation act? and study to pretty much become a pilot? I never fly anywhere there is an airport and the ABCDEG airspace designations are vague to say the least when it comes to where one can fly a drone. I think I'm going to be spending a lot of money to pass this BASIC exam.

Just google everything when you do the test. I passed 65% just know all your acronyms.

Yes I passed as well. I don’t know anything about flying. Just googled everything.
Now I’m a pilot LOL

I’m going nuts
I just finished trying the advanced test again for the fourth time. 62,72,54,and now 66!
Some Questions are completely ridiculous.
Like de-icing procedures,what causes carburetor to freeze. I’m seeing a pattern 76 ,58 lol.
Pilot school is 2700$ they must be crazy.
Really crazy!!
Now I’m a pilot LOL

3544B41A-2FD1-4BE7-B1ED-32EB5C2C7472.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 495bigjoe
I’m going nuts
I just finished trying the advanced test again for the fourth time. 62,72,54,and now 66!
Like de-icing procedures,what causes carburetor to freeze. I’m seeing a pattern 76 ,58 lol.
Really crazy!!

View attachment 58929/QUOTE]

And once you do pass you still need to do the in person flight test which also includes questions from the examiner.

In case anyone missed it there was a presentation yesterday put on by Coastal Drone Co. covering all the new rules here in Canada. It was a live stream with questions at the end but now there is a recording of the full presentation on their FB page. I found it worthwhile to watch it in its entirety.

Coastal Drone Co. presentation

Last edited:
I’m going nuts
Really crazy!!

View attachment 58929
Don't forget that model aircraft are now combined with drones, that is why the questions about carburator icing.

Why are you tying for your advanced? I would like to get mine as well to start a small business, not sure the advanced would be worth it if your just flying recreationaly IMO.

Don't forget that model aircraft are now combined with drones, that is why the questions about carburator icing.

Why are you tying for your advanced? I would like to get mine as well to start a small business, not sure the advanced would be worth it if your just flying recreationaly IMO.

You really don't require the advanced for a business anymore with the new regs unless you want to fly in a controlled air space or over people. And many drones including all the DJI drones don't yet qualify as safety certified for advanced operations.

Reactions: BossOlive
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31