DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Canadian rules

Yeah, pay $5 for the course, but need to contact a flight school for training, who knows what they will charge.. BS

Not the way I understand it.

Basic: pay fee and do the online test.

Advanced: take a test/interview with an instructor. No "training" requirement.

For you folks who are citizens that appears correct. For tourists it's a whole other ball game. I'm still trying to figure it all out!

Indeed. Back when the FAA required registration it took me longer to find my credit card than it did to fill out the form on the FAA website...

Reactions: auxtron
I believe this is a very good idea to have regulation and teach people what it means flying a drone, but the basic exam seems to be too much. We are flying small drones. They should teach to people what to do and not, then assess it instead of punishing them of owning a small drone.

When I compare to other regulation exams in Europe I passed, France is so far the most interesting. Instead of telling you that Air regulation is hard to master and without giving you any clear training documentation, they provide a free training center with clear video of what means flying a drone, what are your responsibilities and what wrong could happen. I would love to see Canada provide better training documentation, instead of just referring to some rules number or vagues notions you should know.

Reactions: j.r.r.
Reactions: mad monkey
You do realize..that by posting those questions that you are in breach of the agreement you digitally signed when you applied to write the exam...so Transport Canada could smack you upside the head and maybe revoke your license....

How can I delete the post?

Blame this on the few chuckleheads ruining it for the rest of us :-(

The height limit is 122m (400').
You need a certificate if your drone weighs over 250gm.
You need an 'advanced' certificate for some added abilities but DJI drones do not yet qualify.
You do not need insurance but it is recommended.

You can search this thread for links re the new legislation.

Reactions: Fernando2
Blame this on the few chuckleheads ruining it for the rest of us :-(

you don't need insurance anymore. please read up the new rules.

And have your Pilot's Certificate readily at hand (must pass Basic Exam - $10 every two years).
Some info here:
Knowledge Requirements for Pilots of Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems 250 g up to and including 25 kg, Operating within Visual Line-of-Sight (VLOS) (TP 15263) - Transport Canada

Looks to me like 99% of drone flights are going to be illegal if all of that "basic" knowledge is required for a certificate.
Or am I missing something?
And have your Pilot's Certificate readily at hand (must pass Basic Exam - $10 every two years).
Some info here:
Knowledge Requirements for Pilots of Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems 250 g up to and including 25 kg, Operating within Visual Line-of-Sight (VLOS) (TP 15263) - Transport Canada

Looks to me like 99% of drone flights are going to be illegal if all of that "basic" knowledge is required for a certificate.
Or am I missing something?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Where is is stated that the test must be taken every 2 years? I cannot find that stated anywhere?

Well it is actually much better than expected

Flying your drone safely and legally (current rules) - Transport Canada (+ link to new rules)

this resolve all ifs and buts

it is exam for pro uses or expanded air space - reasonable , website says 5 hour study ? 50 questions 80% = pass. and if I remember correctly another 7-8 hours for advanced one.
Well for those not reading whole thing you will have to go to one of the approved drone schools to show proficiency for advanced certification, including supplying logs of flights so far for an assessment.
My take is those are minor hurdles to overcome, next exam after in two years must be piece of cake and fees (of course!) are reasonable.. Once you pass you can fly pretty much anywhere (except airports) and anytime, key word is responsibly !
Only fuzzy thing for me is absence of DJI products (or any consumer - read amateur grade drone) on the list of approved UAV's required for advanced licensing which is not changing in new rules.

List of compliant drones (current rules) - Transport Canada

Last edited:
As a U.S. citizen with a cottage on the Georgian Bay of Lake Huron near Parry Sound, Ontario most of my drone activity has been in that area!
I am willing to be compliant. However, existing rules says if I am not from Canada and my drone weighs less than 35 kg I currently do not need to register.
I wonder if that is current regulation, or will that also be the rule in the new regulations?

HAs anybody taken the "hobbyist" exam? From what I read, first try is $5.00, and each subsequent attempt is $10.00.
Then looking at the "schools" that I have seen charging upwards to $400.00, I guess taking the hobbyist exam over and over has merit!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54