DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Canadian rules

HAs anybody taken the "hobbyist" exam? From what I read, first try is $5.00, and each subsequent attempt is $10.00.
Then looking at the "schools" that I have seen charging upwards to $400.00, I guess taking the hobbyist exam over and over has merit!

there's no hobbyist exam for the new regulation. it's either basic, or basic advance. Most people will just need to do basic. read the exam requirements to see which one you fall under. it's $10 for the basic exam. and $10 for each attempt.

Again, as a U.S. citizen a boaters license (operators card) was required by me in Ontario. There was a $45.00 online "course" and test. Free re-tests.

I thought it was reasonable.

Perhaps something like this will be developed in Canada, should non-Canadians be required to obtain a Pilot's Certificate.

there's no hobbyist exam for the new regulation. it's either basic, or basic advance. Most people will just need to do basic. read the exam requirements to see which one you fall under. it's $10 for the basic exam. and $10 for each attempt.
As with all new government regulations there is all sorts of confusion involved. I go to my cottage the first of May to open it and fish for Northern Pike . I will take another look then!

Reactions: mad monkey
I had some time to kill, so I went to take the exam, and was told I didn't need a pilot's certificate because I was a non-Canadian! Then again I registered my drone with the U.S. Federal Aviation Authority. It may be like my Pennsylvania Boater's License being accepted as sufficient to fulfill Ontario's requirement for a boater's license.

TOOK THE ONLINE TEST 51% FAIL
I'd like to know where to find the information required. does one have to buy the entire aviation act? and study to pretty much become a pilot? I never fly anywhere there is an airport and the ABCDEG airspace designations are vague to say the least when it comes to where one can fly a drone. I think I'm going to be spending a lot of money to pass this BASIC exam.

Reactions: 495bigjoe
LOL, I think the boating test was harder than this Basic test (assuming no preparation). I just did this Basic test and it is a lot of common sense questions.

Here’s a breakdown at the end of the test:

View attachment 58304
where did you get the information on air law? I got 7/14 same with navigation.. 1 out of 4. and human factors 0. not all common sense

As with all new government regulations there is all sorts of confusion involved. I go to my cottage the first of May to open it and fish for Northern Pike . I will take another look then!
Not really I think. If you fly in may then you follow the current rule. The test and registration only take effect after June

I for one, support some form of regulation. My only concern even after complying with the rules and being properly licenced, is the hassle we will still be subjected too from those "Dronaphobics" out there. I know we will be under constant harassment every time we are out trying to enjoy our hobby.
Also, what happens when we attract a crowd as we are about to land? To keep within the 30 meter avoidance rule, we will not be able to safely land our craft within 30 meters of us! Sucks if there is nothing but water and forest around us!
Seems to me, there has to be some laws for non dronnies as well. Such as... when the pilot in command of the drone is on approach for landing, he/she should announce their intention so bystanders (Dronaphobics for one) to stay back at least 30 meters from the pilot in command. We are after all, now considered an aerodrome. Hence a safe distance from the pilot must be considered to avoid any conflicts.
Just my rant for the day.
cheers

I for one, support some form of regulation. My only concern even after complying with the rules and being properly licenced, is the hassle we will still be subjected too from those "Dronaphobics" out there. I know we will be under constant harassment every time we are out trying to enjoy our hobby.
Also, what happens when we attract a crowd as we are about to land? To keep within the 30 meter avoidance rule, we will not be able to safely land our craft within 30 meters of us! Sucks if there is nothing but water and forest around us!
Seems to me, there has to be some laws for non dronnies as well. Such as... when the pilot in command of the drone is on approach for landing, he/she should announce their intention so bystanders (Dronaphobics for one) to stay back at least 30 meters from the pilot in command. We are after all, now considered an aerodrome. Hence a safe distance from the pilot must be considered to avoid any conflicts.
cheers

believe it or not, I said the same thing somewhere else and somebody said thats why you have to have site control and people helping you.. dude give me a break. we're going up for 20-25 minutes, supposed to be in line of sight and not very high. I shouldn't have to study like I'm going to be a commercial airline pilot, nor should it be so involved and time consuming when I just want to pop up and take a picture of the god **** sunset

cheers
Not sure where you are flying that you are attracting a crowd. I've only ever had one person show up while I was flying and asked what type of drone it was, told me that was cool then went on his way.

Did my test yesterday and passed, thought it was fairly easy considering i didn't study any of the new code.

Hopefully things will become clearer in the next few months with people from other countries wanting to fly here as well as the advanced exam. I would definitely be interested in getting my advanced certificate to start a small business.

I passed the Basic exam successfully. If it can help, I had a lot of questions that were referring to this document: Canada Gazette, Part 2, Volume 153, Number 1: Regulations Amending the Canadian Aviation Regulations (Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems)

The only frustration is I failed on questions where I am certain of the answer (according to what I read in www.tc.gc.ca documents) but the exam tool does not provide enough information to tell you why you answered wrongly (Now I am confused).

Even, I would love to have this exam more educational, by at the end providing the reference to documents we need to read.

For instance, I failed on a question about LiPo battery storage. the only hint I have is "Review battery theory and use". A link to the official document will be great.

I just took my drone through airport security in Calgary in a a hard cover carrying case for it. I was asked what is in the case and i told them a drone. All i had to do was take the batteries out and place them separately on the tray and it went through the scanner with no problems. So i too was a bit confused about the battery question. Coming back after Christmas from Kelowna they did not even ask what was in the case.

I was surprised how easy it was to register and get basic certification. $5 for registration and $10 to take the test. In all, it took just over 20 minutes! Now I don't need a $600 course to get an SFOC and am able to do this without all that paperwork that was needed before.
As a bonus we can now fly 400 feet AGL (as opposed to 300AGL in the old regs)!
Did you do all 3 parts of the test ?
Small Basic test 60% needed to pass
Small Advanced Operations test 80%
Flight review test 80%

Reactions: 495bigjoe
Has anyone passed the Small advanced test yet?
USA has great study material
Canada sucks. They want you to buy there books
Human Factors in Aviation - Basic Handbook. Over 100$

Did you do all 3 parts of the test ?
Small Basic test 60% needed to pass
Small Advanced Operations test 80%
Flight review test 80%
Actually 65% is needed to pass the basic exam, not 60%.

Just in case anyone missed it here I will remind people who are considering taking the advanced exam that currently no DJI drones have been approved by TC to operate under the advanced rules. So if you only own DJI drones then you may want to hold off on the advanced certification. Plus as time passes more easy to access study material may be forthcoming.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121