DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Canadian rules

Thanks for the correction Dizzy, I have owned a drone for less than a month, and now the rules are changing. So I am perhaps a little overwhelmed and confused from time to time!
I bought the basic exam prep course for $9.99 cnd I feel I am learning significant amounts information on things I didnt understand before. I am impressed so far.... very very impressed!
I just realized , I misunderstood something. I thought people were getting help on the tc test that wasn’t permitted. However, I also should have mentioned tc does allow the use of google and any other reference material to be consulted when you’re doing the test.

there's no hobbyist exam for the new regulation. it's either basic, or basic advance. Most people will just need to do basic. read the exam requirements to see which one you fall under. it's $10 for the basic exam. and $10 for each attempt.

I just passed the Small Basic. Took me 2 tries. Passed with 68. Studied material on Transport Canada site. The site contains only the basics. I used the Internet while taking the test. STILL it was difficult.

I tried the Advanced operations twice, and I only got 62, both times after a lot of studying. The exam is very difficult. I think I'll need a real course to pass this one.

Good luck!

The good thing about the new Canadian rules is that we can use the basic for commercial purposes unless you need to fly in controlled airspace or around people.

I just passed the Small Basic. Took me 2 tries. Passed with 68. Studied material on Transport Canada site. The site contains only the basics. I used the Internet while taking the test. STILL it was difficult.

I tried the Advanced operations twice, and I only got 62, both times after a lot of studying. The exam is very difficult. I think I'll need a real course to pass this one.

Good luck!
It took me 6 tries and one exam crashed on me but finally got an 80 and passed the basic advanced. Just need a flight Review. NoOne is even ready or trained to do flight Reviews yet , Bummer. I just want it to have it. I’m not gonna fly in controlled airspace. 11B6A66C-DEA3-43CA-9EC1-327593CFA628.png7E036D89-5DF0-4841-8AB0-B62D896D4390.png

Yep coastal drone has done a solid job of staying out front on preparing for the new regs they’ve done a good job of positioning their business to capture the online market with the content they’ve made themselves. So thumbs up to those folks. One thing to note,their basic ground school online course is 80 bux, the advanced is substantially more...almost 400 bux,however,still reasonable for the basic as u have mentioned.
I bought and completed small advanced test preparation for 50$. It helped me out a bit.
The thing that really helped though was going threw all my mistakes and writing ✍️ everything wrong making myself a binder of everything I did wrong. And kept it close to me during test. I finally passed it! 80%. Thank you Coastal Drone.

Reactions: Dizzy1971
I bought and completed small advanced test preparation for 50$. It helped me out a bit.
The thing that really helped though was going threw all my mistakes and writing ✍️ everything wrong making myself a binder of everything I did wrong. And kept it close to me during test. I finally passed it! 80%. Thank you Coastal Drone.
Great approach. No better way to get it right than to make a hard copy of what you got wrong.

Reactions: BossOlive
Hello again
I have now got all the correct documents to email to Transport Canada for SFOC

What i dont get on the form is the following .... Simplified . Complex . Compliant . and Site Specific and Standing .

As a tourist which ones should i be ticking . ? and do i leave the Canadian Civil Licence Number * blank ? Its so confusing .

Thanks for any help . Col

Hello again
I have now got all the correct documents to email to Transport Canada for SFOC

What i dont get on the form is the following .... Simplified . Complex . Compliant . and Site Specific and Standing .

As a tourist which ones should i be ticking . ? and do i leave the Canadian Civil Licence Number * blank ? Its so confusing .

Thanks for any help . Col

Hi Col, as I understand it if you're coming to Canada before June 1, 2019 then you will not need anything to fly here, just follow the current regulations.

If you're coming June 1 or after you will need to apply for an SFOC, but since the new regs are not in place yet you will not be able to apply for the correct SFOC. It's all circular I know, hopefully things become much clearer as the date nears.

Cheers

Well completed my Basic exam today. First try I received a 74%. I can’t believe that most of the questions did not pertain to flying a drone! With no study material I found the exam to be difficult. It’s nice to know the other “stuff” but you will not use it. Who ever needs to take this.....good luck.

Hi Col, as I understand it if you're coming to Canada before June 1, 2019 then you will not need anything to fly here, just follow the current regulations.

If you're coming June 1 or after you will need to apply for an SFOC, but since the new regs are not in place yet you will not be able to apply for the correct SFOC. It's all circular I know, hopefully things become much clearer as the date nears.

Cheers

Thanks for the reply Tbedhed
Not going until June 15 so hopefully things will be clearer by then . They certainly need to be , the form to fill out at the moment is quite bizarre .
Cheers

Well completed my Basic exam today. First try I received a 74%. I can’t believe that most of the questions did not pertain to flying a drone! With no study material I found the exam to be difficult. It’s nice to know the other “stuff” but you will not use it. Who ever needs to take this.....good luck.

And we will all need to retake it every 2 years it seems

well this is what I have found out and it is really retarted.
SO to fly in another country (or in Canada and your not a Canadian citizen) you need to carry an SFOC.
BUT to get an SFOC you need your advanced pilots certificate.
THOUGH
to get your advanced certificate you ALSO need a flight review
ALL IN ALL you will be paying over $350.00 to get all your certificates and qualifications to be able to qualify for your SFOC then the charges on top of the SFOC to obtain that
really not worth it unless your flying commercial then you also need your insurance on top of that

well this is what I have found out and it is really retarted.
SO to fly in another country (or in Canada and your not a Canadian citizen) you need to carry an SFOC.
BUT to get an SFOC you need your advanced pilots certificate.
THOUGH
to get your advanced certificate you ALSO need a flight review
ALL IN ALL you will be paying over $350.00 to get all your certificates and qualifications to be able to qualify for your SFOC then the charges on top of the SFOC to obtain that
really not worth it unless your flying commercial then you also need your insurance on top of that
I think you're looking at a mix of current and the new regs. Under the new regs you will not need the advanced to fly commercially you will need it to fly within 5.6 km of an airport or closer than 30 m to crowds.

For someone to fly in Canada currently there is no permit needed just follow the current regs. As I understand it come June 1 they will need to register their drone, $5, and possibly have an SFOC, but our wonderful government hasn't made it overly clear. Hopefully they have that all figured out on or before June 1.

For a Canadian to fly in the states you will not need an SFOC, I believe all you will need is to register your drone in the states. @sar104 may be able to shed more light on that as I believe their regs are being updated as well.

Hope this helps
Cheers

I think you're looking at a mix of current and the new regs. Under the new regs you will not need the advanced to fly commercially you will need it to fly within 5.6 km of an airport or closer than 30 m to crowds.

For someone to fly in Canada currently there is no permit needed just follow the current regs. As I understand it come June 1 they will need to register their drone, $5, and possibly have an SFOC, but our wonderful government hasn't made it overly clear. Hopefully they have that all figured out on or before June 1.

For a Canadian to fly in the states you will not need an SFOC, I believe all you will need is to register your drone in the states. @sar104 may be able to shed more light on that as I believe their regs are being updated as well.

Hope this helps
Cheers

That's correct - recreational flying in the US simply requires registration with the FAA under the existing Part 101 regulations. Those are being updated to include, at some point, a knowledge test, but they haven't yet announced how that will be implemented or how it will affect visiting pilots.

That's correct - recreational flying in the US simply requires registration with the FAA under the existing Part 101 regulations. Those are being updated to include, at some point, a knowledge test, but they haven't yet announced how that will be implemented or how it will affect visiting pilots.
Good to know your government is no more efficient than ours. Lol
Cheers

If your not a Canadian citizen, beware the Guidelines don't mention FOREIGN RESIDENT ARE NOT ELIGIBLE TO REGISTER A DRONE IN CANADA. IF YOUR A FOREIGN RESIDENT AND WISH TO OPERATE A DRONE IN CANADA, YOU MUST APPLY FOR A SPECIAL FLIGHT OPERATION CERTIFICATE.

View attachment 64799

Non-Canadian citizens don't find out about this posting above until you go into the above site and try to register a drone to get a registration # required by this June. So if your not a Canadian citizen, even after taking and passing the $10 Basic Pilot Certification Exam, you'll be flying illegally and risk a huge fine. A Non-Canadian needs to go thru a much more burdensome Special Flight Operation Certificate (SFOC) in order to get the drone registered. This is very unfortunate for us Droners down here in the States that own property in Canada.

If your not a Canadian citizen, beware the Guidelines don't mention FOREIGN RESIDENT ARE NOT ELIGIBLE TO REGISTER A DRONE IN CANADA. IF YOUR A FOREIGN RESIDENT AND WISH TO OPERATE A DRONE IN CANADA, YOU MUST APPLY FOR A SPECIAL FLIGHT OPERATION CERTIFICATE.

View attachment 64799

Non-Canadian citizens don't find out about this posting above until you go into the above site and try to register a drone to get a registration # required by this June. So if your not a Canadian citizen, even after taking and passing the $10 Basic Pilot Certification Exam, you'll be flying illegally and risk a huge fine. A Non-Canadian needs to go thru a much more burdensome Special Flight Operation Certificate (SFOC) in order to get the drone registered. This is very unfortunate for us Droners down here in the States that own property in Canada.
I can’t believe the minister in charge of this mess was once an astronaut... a hero of mine actually ... so disappointed

Just went and wrote the Basic Exam, cold turkey (no studying). Figured I might as well do this just so I could see what I was up against and what sort of things I would need to be studying.

I was a bit surprised that after all was said and done, I PASSED! Got 71%....good enough!

Was planning to take the Advanced and deal with all the nonsense that comes with that but with the drones I own (DJI) not meeting TC’s approves list yet, I’ll hold off on that for a bit.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54