DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Compass Calibration Recommendations (from the v2.0 manual)

Well clearly there are other variables at play then. Probably a QC function for the magnetometer manufacturing process. I'm fine with mine as is but sure would prefer your experience!
Also. I'm still using my 2016 operating system (I will never "upgrade") so perhaps it is more sensitive to deviations.

DJI recently released v2.0 of the Mavic manual. Check out the changes here.

The most notable change is the new compass calibration recommendations. DJI is now recommending the compass be calibrated when:
  • Flying at a location further than 10 km away from the last flight location
  • The Mavic has not been flown for 1+ months
  • A compass error is displayed in DJI GO and the error remains after changing locations

Thank you for taking the time to do this. Nice comparison. Never seen that yet. Knowing you, you’re up on everything cool. Now i need to download the new updated manual. I didn’t know it was out there

Maybe some one else mentioned this and I missed it, but for me the most notable change in the Mavic Pro User Manual is the new page 37 which describes how to fly in dual remote controller mode. This allows two people to see what the camera is seeing without trying to peer over the pilot's shoulder. Of course, this means two remote controllers and two monitors.

Yea that's not new.

20171109_220123.jpg

A192F22A-CC64-43D0-91EB-17AD78A19047.png Anyone done a comparison between MP’s magnetometers and your iPad’s using the Sensor Kinetics app?

...and this single change in the manual triggers a version update from 1.8 to 2.0? To justify going from 1.x to 2 I would have expected more substantial changes.

Otoh: maybe this change is so important it merrits the birth if v.2

Right on. I was just sharing DJI's latest recommendations (which seem to change bi-yearly).

I still recommend following the Compass Calibration Guide instead.

I tend to agree says the newbie All my life I have worked under the theory if you can handle the worst case, everything else is a piece of cake.

How long does it take to rotate the MP CCW in the X axis then CCW around the Y axis. Piece of mind for me. Whatever floats a persons boat IMHO.

Larry

I think your experience is anomalous.
I don’t think so.

Over the time I’ve been following this forum it seems that the opposite is true.

In fact, many including myself have found on those rare occasions where a compass error appeared, it simply took a minor relocation to eliminate the error.

Reactions: sar104
My suggestion is don't fix what's not broken.
Well now I'm confused. I just brought my Mavic to cancun and I never had a compass issue unless I was launching from our hotel room in which case I just held it above my head and it went away. Should I calibrate it when I get back to the states or leave it be?

I heard from reliable sources that DJI is considering removing it from the site - it's just eating up server space, nobody is dowloading it!
Reliable source!
Eating resources!
Really!

I've never had a compass error. I have calibrated the compass several times just for practice. I wonder why DJI is suggesting calibration if you move 10 km from last launch site and haven't flown in 1+ months, compass error is obvious. What's changed since v1 of the manual?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis