DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Compass Calibration Recommendations (from the v2.0 manual)

msinger

DJI Drone Expert
Approved Vendor
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
mavichelp.com
DJI recently released v2.0 of the Mavic manual. Check out the changes here.

The most notable change is the new compass calibration recommendations. DJI is now recommending the compass be calibrated when:
  • Flying at a location further than 10 km away from the last flight location
  • The Mavic has not been flown for 1+ months
  • A compass error is displayed in DJI GO and the error remains after changing locations

Thank you for info.
Despite the fact that i flew my MP in different locations far away from each other (Far East-Europe) i never recalibrated the compass and at both places the MP behave properly.

Despite the fact that i flew my MP in different locations far away from each other (Far East-Europe) i never recalibrated the compass and at both places the MP behave properly.
Right on. I was just sharing DJI's latest recommendations (which seem to change bi-yearly).

I still recommend following the Compass Calibration Guide instead.

Well, I guess I might finally calibrate then.

It's been nearly a year all over the eastern half of the US and Canada with flawless flights so I hope I don't jinx it.

The most notable change is the new compass calibration recommendations. DJI is now recommending the compass be calibrated when:
  • A compass error is displayed in DJI GO and the error remains after changing locations
There's a manual???

Well, I guess I might finally calibrate then.

It's been nearly a year all over the eastern half of the US and Canada with flawless flights so I hope I don't jinx it.

Calibrate as often as you want, it doesn't hurt, it's not like there are little cogs inside that can wear out. Moreover, the more you do it, the smoother you do it, you learn little tricks how to better hold it and rotate smoother.

Today, I noticed my Mavic is drifting a bit when flying straight. Calibration time! (compass) BOOM, DONE.

From early Phantom recommendations we used to calibrate if more than 100 miles from last location which is what I have done with the Mavic. 10k is 6.2 miles. This will mean a lot more calibrations.

From early Phantom recommendations we used to calibrate if more than 100 miles from last location which is what I have done with the Mavic. 10k is 6.2 miles. This will mean a lot more calibrations.

But it is a very strange recommendation - I cannot think of any plausible reason why it should depend on distance from the last flight.

Reactions: Lars Olsson
Magnetic declination perhaps. Declination is totally a factor of location.
Declination can't be the issue here as I've flown from Western Ar. to Nova Scotia with NO prompt or error. Heck the darn thing came from China and has been perfect since day one.

Calibrate as often as you want, it doesn't hurt, it's not like there are little cogs inside that can wear out. Moreover, the more you do it, the smoother you do it, you learn little tricks how to better hold it and rotate smoother.

Today, I noticed my Mavic is drifting a bit when flying straight. Calibration time! (compass) BOOM, DONE.
It isn't that I am against doing it. I have two other machines and I calibrate them regularly. But the Mavic was somehow spot on since day one in all locations. Never a drift, deviation, or error in over 2000 miles of travels. Who knew it would suddenly become a problem.

I didn't do it before because it wasn't recommended, I will now because it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
I've had magnetic declination errors when flying my Mavic (and other platforms).
Last time I took my Mavic away on holiday which was approx 100km west I had to recalibrate, then do the same upon returning home as it wouldn't fly straight.
It's to be expected and very easily rectified.

Could be. But if it has built in compensation, wouldn't that negate the need then?

It still may need calibration for local magnetic fields or random magnetisation it can get. For example, my Mavic's drift was caused by putting a Bluetooth speaker on top of the case where it was stored. Speakers = magnets.

Reactions: Robert Mitchell

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure