DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Design for Lens Hood

OK, I am pretty technical, but I have to admit (as Grandma used to say), "you couldn't fill a thimble with all I know about" 3D Printing... Trust me, that was one of the more socially acceptable things she used to say. I was just curious to know if you can use fine grit sandpaper and carefully smooth out the ridges on things like this after they've been printed?

Absolutely, it's a piece of plastic so you can sand, cut, paint all you want.

The pictures always seen to make them look rougher than they are.

A common practice with 3D printed models that I do a lot of times is put them in a acetone vapor bath that smooth's
them out, makes them more waterproof, and gives it a solid finished look.

Reactions: boxsterfahrer
First one I printed broke getting it off the bed. That bottom piece is super thin! Trying again will be more careful this go around.

A frustrum hood like the one you show is geared to move with the lens. The gimbal has to move, so the range has to be even wider than this example and the rear opening has to be pretty large to avoid the camera's movement at the end of the gimbal. Also, the gimbal itself is not symmetrical, with the first axis on the ship's right side. The original cover has extra space on that side.
Yeah... I get what you are saying, but I'm not sure you are following me. I'm just saying the current design doesn't need to be so round in the front. I think the top could come out a little farther like a baseball cap and the sides could come out equal distance. Instead of the top (above the camera) and sides (each side of the camera) being round, just have them come straight out as far as you can without any vignetting.

If you decide to start selling these send me the link on how I can get one or PM me. Thanks!
If @leenanj is ok with it I will print one for you and send it to you for the cost of shipping plus a few dollars for material/time. Not to make money or anything but just to avoid myself spending money on it.

If @leenanj responds it is ok then you can PM me and we can work it out.

Reactions: flydogs
20 US$ for piece of plastic..almost worth just buying a 3D printer to get into the business
You're going to need to buy a bunch of printers if you plan to make any money selling that part at $20. It takes a long time to print large parts like that.

You're going to need to buy a bunch of printers if you plan to make any money selling that part at $20. It takes a long time to print large parts like that.
I know noting about 3D printing but thinking might look into it for my hobbies...How long would it take to print hood like the one on Ebay..as per example? Thanks

I don't think it takes that long, I would suspect this part probably takes about an hour or 2 at most.

If @leenanj is ok with it I will print one for you and send it to you for the cost of shipping plus a few dollars for material/time. Not to make money or anything but just to avoid myself spending money on it.

If @leenanj responds it is ok then you can PM me and we can work it out.

No problem at all with me, once its on Thingiverse its in the public domain for anybody to use I believe.

It takes my DaVinci 3D printer 30 minutes to print the sun shield.

It really depends on what kind of printer you have and the specific settings used for the print. My printers are showing it's about a 30-60 minute print.

Just to make your decision a little more difficult.

My first several flights were on a calm day and everything was good.

I flew the other day in strong winds, 30mpg plus gusts, and saw the sun shield in the video a few times.
Just slightly on the edge.
So I made a trimmed down version to use.

Mavic sun shield by leenanj

2016-12-31 10.03.23.jpg

Reactions: RAFALE
That looks pretty good.
147903d1353133098-sale-sold-vintage-metal-square-lens-hood-49mm-hood.jpg
There is no way you can use a lens mounted hood, the wind would cause shake issues with the lens

Just to make your decision a little more difficult.

My first several flights were on a calm day and everything was good.

I flew the other day in strong winds, 30mpg plus gusts, and saw the sun shield in the video a few times.
Just slightly on the edge.
So I made a trimmed down version to use.

Mavic sun shield by leenanj

View attachment 3338
Wow, that's coming along nicely! It looks like it would provide equal shielding/coverage on both sides. I could see how it might need to be trimmed back a bit on the sides. I wonder if the top shield above the camera could come out a little more without showing in the video?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98