DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Design for Lens Hood

stealle

Reactions
I think its great we have a DIY option for making our own lens hood. We can even buy one now on ebay with the SAME design. There are also a few others like Taco-RC that will have the SAME design available soon. I'm just wondering if anyone else is interested in a different design. One that would still attach the same way as the dome, but would flare out a little more to resemble the shape of a regular lens hood. I understand you can't have much on the bottom for when the gimble points down. I'm talking about mostly on the right and left sides. The current offering does a good job of blocking light when the sun is on the right side of the Mavic, but there is less material on the left side that doesn't block as much light when the sun is on the left side of the Mavic.

I don't have a 3d printer. I'm not certain it's possible, but it seems to me that the design could deviate somewhat from the dome shape and provide better coverage.

I think its great we have a DIY option for making our own lens hood. We can even buy one now on ebay with the SAME design. There are also a few others like Taco-RC that will have the SAME design available soon. I'm just wondering if anyone else is interested in a different design. One that would still attach the same way as the dome, but would flare out a little more to resemble the shape of a regular lens hood. I understand you can't have much on the bottom for when the gimble points down. I'm talking about mostly on the right and left sides. The current offering does a good job of blocking light when the sun is on the right side of the Mavic, but there is less material on the left side that doesn't block as much light when the sun is on the left side of the Mavic.

I don't have a 3d printer. I'm not certain it's possible, but it seems to me that the design could deviate somewhat from the dome shape and provide better coverage.

I just ordered one of the Mavic Lens Hood Sun Shades from eBay. Hope it helps!!

Been working on my own design just making it smaller and lighter
with minimal supports needed, I hate supports when printing.
I am leaving the bottom open.

This is what I have so far.

View attachment 3225

Don't you think a flat black color would be better? Seems like the orange might throw off a bit of a colored reflection? Not really sure myself.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Don't you think a flat black color would be better? Seems like the orange might throw off a bit of a colored reflection? Not really sure myself.

Yes for sure a darker color, just making some prototype's with this color because I have a lot of it.

The final with probably be gun metal grey that matches the Mavic.

Yes for sure a darker color, just making some prototype's with this color because I have a lot of it.

Outer color can be whatever, however you should treat the inside with matte black. There is a reason why the inner surface is matte black on standard lens hoods.

Makes sense.

Been working on my own design just making it smaller and lighter
with minimal supports needed, I hate supports when printing.
I am leaving the bottom open.

This is what I have so far.

View attachment 3225
That looks pretty good. Does the left side (the Mavic's left side) come out as far as the right side? Basically, what I'm saying is. It seems like the best design would provide maximum coverage without causing any vignetting. It seems like people are sticking to the design that looks like just cutting a hole out of the dome when it could look more like the photo below only with 3 sides (bottom would need to be missing). And, obviously the design would have to mount the same way as the dome.
147903d1353133098-sale-sold-vintage-metal-square-lens-hood-49mm-hood.jpg

A frustrum hood like the one you show is geared to move with the lens. The gimbal has to move, so the range has to be even wider than this example and the rear opening has to be pretty large to avoid the camera's movement at the end of the gimbal. Also, the gimbal itself is not symmetrical, with the first axis on the ship's right side. The original cover has extra space on that side.

Little "off topic"...but what Brand/Model of 3D printers are you all using?

Thanks for sharing! Printing it in carbon fiber proto pasta as I type!

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Sounds like you have a top end 3D printer.

Would love to see a picture of the final product.

My Mavic sun shield Thingiverse link:

Mavic sun shield by leenanj

OK, I am pretty technical, but I have to admit (as Grandma used to say), "you couldn't fill a thimble with all I know about" 3D Printing... Trust me, that was one of the more socially acceptable things she used to say. I was just curious to know if you can use fine grit sandpaper and carefully smooth out the ridges on things like this after they've been printed?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milixa9705