DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New DJI FPV drone on the way!

Seems too big for the drone racing league. Who will they racing against, other DJI racers?

No LOS is necessary if your flying indoors...right? I know not everyone will follow policy as currently written. Some will fly outdoors.

So you put your goggles on & immediately lose your LOS, considering you must have line of site at all times how do you legally fly the thing ? ?
You still can fly FPV legally with a spotter. The fact you need 1 spotter for each drone in to the air unless you have a special permission to fly multiples copters. I was just studying that part to get my 107.

Reactions: frank candor
The problem is racing drones are too fast for a spotter to realistically keep up with. I’m not sure what the top speed will be, but if they hope to compete against other racing drones they’ll need to exceed 80 mph.

Last edited:
Reactions: gogorokokoko
Now that the LOS problem is kinda solved :) , lets see what is this drone for
It looks somehow like a racing drone but is definitely not
If you will read the articles from the links you will see that it will be a mix between a hobby drone and a racing drone
From a "normal" drone it wil have a decent camera, maybe stabilized also, a battery that will offer a good range and flying time, controls and interface easy to use, gps tracking
From the racing drone it will have a faster speed and acrobatic capabilities
And if you add the Goggles you will have the first combo that offers a FPV ride in racing style with a good video feed added

Last edited:
Reactions: Clinton1
Maybe this is a "show drone"

Something for sky painting, drone light show or some other aerial moves that require speed and acrobatic ability to generate those ooohhs and aaahhhhs

Is it just me or do other people find watching somebody’s FPV frantic up, down, left, right, screaming-into-nothingness video clips nauseating and boring .....?! ? I would far rather watch something cinematic off a drone. But each to their own ? ?

Maybe this is a "show drone"

Something for sky painting, drone light show or some other aerial moves that require speed and acrobatic ability to generate those ooohhs and aaahhhhs
I just worked out what your icon photo shows .... for a few moments I thought it was a lacey black French C-cup ....... ?

• Haha
Reactions: flycajun
  • Haha
Reactions: scro and hiflyer201
Is it just me or do other people find watching somebody’s FPV frantic up, down, left, right, screaming-into-nothingness video clips nauseating and boring .....?! ? I would far rather watch something cinematic off a drone. But each to their own ? ?
"frantic stuff" is only one thing that some people do, doesn't mean it's the only one. You can do very cinematic shots with a machine like this that aren't possible with your usual DJI aircraft.

Last edited:
I know people like to fixate that one always needs to have a visual line of sight, but sometimes flying through the camera is a better way to fly. I can't get some shots if I'm not watching where the camera is pointed the entire time.
Each of my crashes have been while the drone was less than 50' from me and I was watching the drone and not the camera. I do fly it differently while watching it than I do when using the camera view. Definitely more risky while I watch.

Edited to fix spelling.

Last edited:
The problem is racing drones are too fast for a spotter to realistically keep up with. I’m not sure what the top speed will be, but if they hope to compete against other racing drones they’ll need to exceed 80 mph.
The spotter rule is BS anyway, the only reason you fly with a spotter is to satisfy some paper scribbler in an office who wrote some broad rules without having any idea of what the whole stuff was about or considering how the variety of scenarios they end up applying to differ, not for him to actually be of any use.

Last edited:
Although not within the letter of the law, if you're below 100ft and not near an airport or it's runway approach, there shouldn't be a practical issue, especially if there are lots of tall obstacles around that would make it difficult for a manned aircraft to fly that low.

FPV flying usually isn't performed that high.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato