DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New DJI Mini 3 Pro update and DJI fly update

With the new update does it actually turn on RID, or just make it compatible eg in case you're using the extended battery? One of the reasons I like the Mini 3 Pro is it's not supposed to be subject to RID with the standard battery, correct?
I think if you make a commercial flight under 107 then even a 249g drone needs to be registered and it needs RID because it's registered. Pretty sure that's how it works.

Reactions: Torque
It's complicated. and confusing, at least from a practical standpoint. Here's what I've read:
"The rules are different for anyone flying commercially, often called Part 107 after the certification required. If you are flying under Part 107, the aircraft you are using must be registered with the FAA no matter how little it weighs. This means that under the current remote ID rule, even a 50g UAV, if flown under Part 107, would be required to comply with the remote ID and registration regulations."

Putting the practicalities of RID aside for a moment, there are some confusions 1) Can a Part 107 pilot be flying recreationally, thus being held to recreational rules, not Part 107 rules? 2) If a Part 107 certified pilot could fly recreationally, then it would then seem that RID would not be required, no?

Now adding back in the practicalities... If one were theoretically flying recreationally, but used and extended (heavier) battery taking it back into the category OVER 250g... How would the drone know to use RID and activated it. Or, is the Mini 3 going to have RID activated regardless of status or weight? Obviously if the Mini 3 with the extended battery were over 250 one would LEGALLY be required to have RID active. But if one had one of these drones that were under 250g some of the time, but not all the time and simply did not want to comply on those other "overweight" times, would there be any control over the actiivation or de-activation of RID???

I’ve just carried out my update with one of my batteries, how do I access the update to do the other two batteries please?

Stick the other battery in the drone and then just click about/check for updates on the controller/app. It should then say you need a firmware update and quickly update the battery.

I was going by Nickyb65 comment that this was a battery upgrade as well. I upgraded with one battery when I finished I stuck another battery in and it said there were no upgrades available. Does this mean it wasn’t a battery upgrade?

@JAW911 all the batteries need upgrading,just put the battery in and then touch the three dots to access the menu in the fly screen go to about ,touch check firmware ,and then you should get a message firm ware incompatibility and a box with upgrade firmware should appear click on that and then it will do the upgrade ,just repeat for any other batteries you may have ,apart from the one in the drone when you did the upgrade,that gets done during the initial upgrade

@JAW911 all the batteries need upgrading,just put the battery in and then touch the three dots to access the menu in the fly screen go to about ,touch check firmware ,and then you should get a message firm ware incompatibility and a box with upgrade firmware should appear click on that and then it will do the upgrade ,just repeat for any other batteries you may have ,apart from the one in the drone when you did the upgrade,that gets done during the initial upgrade
Thank you. That worked. Couldn’t find a button called ‘check firmware’ but under the ‘About’ tab was ‘Aircraft Firmware’ against which it said ‘Check for Updates’. Just for anyone else who is trying this…..Thanks again.

Is the auto discharge the only part of the battery upgrade you would miss by not doing the upgrade? I always keep a very sharp eye on the discharge state of my batteries, always have. I bring this up because I have yet to upgrade 1.7.8. I was one of the unlucky few who had problems with the last update. DJI fixed with a beta update. So that's the reason for the battery question. One other question the battery update are always included with the firmware update?

Last edited:
It's complicated. and confusing, at least from a practical standpoint. Here's what I've read:
"The rules are different for anyone flying commercially, often called Part 107 after the certification required. If you are flying under Part 107, the aircraft you are using must be registered with the FAA no matter how little it weighs. This means that under the current remote ID rule, even a 50g UAV, if flown under Part 107, would be required to comply with the remote ID and registration regulations."

Putting the practicalities of RID aside for a moment, there are some confusions 1) Can a Part 107 pilot be flying recreationally, thus being held to recreational rules, not Part 107 rules? 2) If a Part 107 certified pilot could fly recreationally, then it would then seem that RID would not be required, no?

Now adding back in the practicalities... If one were theoretically flying recreationally, but used and extended (heavier) battery taking it back into the category OVER 250g... How would the drone know to use RID and activated it. Or, is the Mini 3 going to have RID activated regardless of status or weight? Obviously if the Mini 3 with the extended battery were over 250 one would LEGALLY be required to have RID active. But if one had one of these drones that were under 250g some of the time, but not all the time and simply did not want to comply on those other "overweight" times, would there be any control over the actiivation or de-activation of RID???
lol -y'all think too much.
If Big Brother wants to - he will.
No point in getting panties bunched over it.
As far as detecting over 249g - that's just silly.
Besides - easy enough to take the TRUST and not worry about flying.
If you have a 107 you literally have nothing to fear in any eventuality.

Reactions: Torque and Joe Horn
I updated teh Mini 3 and the Air 2S AND bound the RC controller to the Air 2S.
Good grief - 8 batteries, 2 drones and both remotes.
Made for a full day of drone shuffling ;)

Is the auto discharge the only part of the battery upgrade you would miss by not doing the upgrade? I always keep a very sharp eye on the discharge state of my batteries, always have. I bring this up because I have yet to upgrade 1.7.8. I was one of the unlucky few who had problems with the last update. DJI fixed with a beta update. So that's the reason for the battery question. One other question the battery update are always included with the firmware update?
the reason for the battery upgrade is because, when it is in the drone it communicates with the drone ,about its state of charge, temperature etc ,and it can only do this if the battery has the same firmware as the drone ,

It's complicated. and confusing, at least from a practical standpoint. ...
I think the rule is fairly straight forward: If a drone is required to be registered, then RID will be required, and the rules for what drones must be registered are pretty simple. A sub-250g drone being used for recreation does not need to be registered, regardless of who is flying it. Any drone used for commercial purpose requires registration, regardless of weight, so they will require remote ID. What's confusing?

Reactions: Menthol and Torque
the reason for the battery upgrade is because, when it is in the drone it communicates with the drone ,about its state of charge, temperature etc ,and it can only do this if the battery has the same firmware as the drone ,
So from what I can tell on the rc side under battery info there is no additional information other than number of charges and voltage of each cell and the batt serial #, If all batteries are not installed in the drone and checked after a particular update what happens if anything? Is the drone grounded or just not as efficient at being a good battery or simply just not self discharge as it should. Sorry to ask, just trying to understand how it works.

Last edited:
Reactions: old man mavic
I think the rule is fairly straight forward: If a drone is required to be registered, then RID will be required, and the rules for what drones must be registered are pretty simple. A sub-250g drone being used for recreation does not need to be registered, regardless of who is flying it. Any drone used for commercial purpose requires registration, regardless of weight, so they will require remote ID. What's confusing?
But it is confusing.
I am a Part 107 pilot. However, being mostly retired almost all of my flights are recreational, mostly practice flights, many without filiming. So, having a sub 250g drone, based on your response I would not have to register my Mini 3 as I could designate it 100% for recreational flights?... Or having a Part 107 I would be required to register it? In a recreational classification without Part 107 one only has to register one's self, but under Part 107 all my drones supposedly should be registered separately. Can you see the confusion now? Definitely shades of gray.

FWIW I took the Par 107 test because there MAY be times when I would not be flying recreationally. Does merely having a Part 107 cert disqualify me from having a purely recreational drrone that doesn't need to be registered?

Next question: Since DJI implemented RID in the latest update for the Mini 3 which turns RID on and cannnot be turned off, what then? Has DJI imposed RID on those that would not be required to have it?

@Rchawks ,dear fellow flier ,as i tried to explain in my post #31during use the battery communicates with the IMU in the drone ,which then allows ,information about remaining charge, temperature ,etc which is used in such things as low battery RTH ,so its important that there is no conflict of firmware between the drones operating system and the batteries BMS

And yet there is no indication at the rc whether the installed batteries are compliant without connecting and signing on to the update that you may not want to sign off on as of yet. This is my point.

But it is confusing.
I am a Part 107 pilot. However, being mostly retired almost all of my flights are recreational, mostly practice flights, many without filiming. So, having a sub 250g drone, based on your response I would not have to register my Mini 3 as I could designate it 100% for recreational flights?... Or having a Part 107 I would be required to register it? In a recreational classification without Part 107 one only has to register one's self, but under Part 107 all my drones supposedly should be registered separately. Can you see the confusion now? Definitely shades of gray.

FWIW I took the Par 107 test because there MAY be times when I would not be flying recreationally. Does merely having a Part 107 cert disqualify me from having a purely recreational drrone that doesn't need to be registered?

Next question: Since DJI implemented RID in the latest update for the Mini 3 which turns RID on and cannnot be turned off, what then? Has DJI imposed RID on those that would not be required to have it?

"Does merely having a Part 107 cert disqualify me from having a purely recreational drone that doesn't need to be registered? "

"All drone pilots required to register their UAS must operate their aircraft in accordance with the final rule on remote ID beginning September 16, 2023, which gives drone owners sufficient time to upgrade their aircraft."

The final rule:

48.15:

"No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft that is eligible for registration under 49 U.S.C. 44101-44103 unless one of the following criteria has been satisfied:

(a) The owner has registered and marked the aircraft in accordance with this part;

(b) The aircraft is operated exclusively in compliance with 49 U.S.C. 44809 and weighs 0.55 pounds or less on takeoff, including everything that is on board or otherwise attached to the aircraft; or

(c) The aircraft is an aircraft of the Armed Forces of the United States."

I read this as once a drone is registered, then it must comply with RID. The requirement is attached to a registered drone, not whether the pilot is part 107 certified. The word "exclusively" says you can't change your mind about that drone; once registered its registered.

I didn't find anything that says a part 107 pilot cannot fly recreationally. That's sensible; otherwise you would be requiring RID on nano drones flown indoors if a part 107 was the pilot. OTOH, just because I could not find it doesn't mean there isn't a different part 107 rule I don't know about.

Suggestion for all threads like this one: Only reference faa.gov or other FAA publications. there is much "expert" nonsense on the web.

Good luck!

I read this as once a drone is registered, then it must comply with RID. The requirement is attached to a registered drone, not whether the pilot is part 107 certified. The word "exclusively" says you can't change your mind about that drone; once registered its registered.

I didn't find anything that says a part 107 pilot cannot fly recreationally. That's sensible; otherwise you would be requiring RID on nano drones flown indoors if a part 107 was the pilot. OTOH, just because I could not find it doesn't mean there isn't a different part 107 rule I don't know about.

I've been digging through the FAA site looking for something explicitly stating a policy, without much luck, but I agree with your interpretation. The registration requirements refer only to the weight of the drone and the purpose of use, while pilot certification is a separate issue. If the FAA intended something different, I should think it would be incumbent on them to explicitly say so.

"Does merely having a Part 107 cert disqualify me from having a purely recreational drone that doesn't need to be registered? "

"All drone pilots required to register their UAS must operate their aircraft in accordance with the final rule on remote ID beginning September 16, 2023, which gives drone owners sufficient time to upgrade their aircraft."

The final rule:

48.15:

"No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft that is eligible for registration under 49 U.S.C. 44101-44103 unless one of the following criteria has been satisfied:

(a) The owner has registered and marked the aircraft in accordance with this part;

(b) The aircraft is operated exclusively in compliance with 49 U.S.C. 44809 and weighs 0.55 pounds or less on takeoff, including everything that is on board or otherwise attached to the aircraft; or

(c) The aircraft is an aircraft of the Armed Forces of the United States."

Suggestion for all threads like this one: Only reference faa.gov or other FAA publications. there is much "expert" nonsense on the web.

Good luck!
That partially answer my question. I've not registered the drone, had any non-recreational flights with this drone and thus would not, by interpretation be required to have RID. HOWEVER, my second question is, with most recent firmware updates it is reported that DJI has TURNED ON RID which I understand cannot be turned off once activated. IS THIS TRUE?

Were your average Joe Dronehater not able to track and trace the controller's position I think I would be less apprehensive of what could happen if one of these nutcases could actually track you down. If I can avoid RID I will. We have enough negatiive interactions over nothing, often falsely accused of one thing or another. If you haven't noticed, some people have gone totally NUTS, especially when it comes to drones, guns, politics etc. Who knows, "dronejacking" might become a thing. I don't want to attract any of that chaos if I can prevent it.

Reactions: Menthol and RoyGNH
That's a US-centric explanation. The EU is requiring remote ID on ALL drones.
In some respects after having taken the test and gotten my operator ID in Germany I think the EU did a better job of role delineation and drone classes.
One exception - they then allowed each member state to have their own rules and of course Germany decided to keep all theirs which are pretty onerous for teh most part.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure