DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Drone laws in Mexico--Tourists can't use drones after 12/1/18

I don't know about this as we go to Mazatlan every year and customs never even blinked when I pushed my bag with 2 tablets, laptop, drone, batteries and tools through the xray. Not one issue on the beach or anywhere I was recording.
Of course with all the nonsense going on with the border now this may become a reality. We will see what happens in January.

Well that is another reason to avoid Mexico....the final straw. If this is the way that they are going to treat (drone-carrying) tourists, then a very good reason NOT to go there. Taking my dollars/euros/pesos somewhere else instead.

Reactions: Hauptmann and strdr
been coming and going out of Mexico many years , yes there is corruption there , not as bad as use to be but still there, though to think there is no corruption in our country is just plain ******, and getting worse as time moves on. our history and present, has more than our fair share of corrupt and dishonest individuals.

Folks. If you are coming to Mexico leave your drone at home. First, as a good friend of mine just learned, the customs folks are going through luggage more diligently and they found his two drones, both of which were over a year old but for which he did not have sales documentation to prove the purchase was at least six months ago so he got hit with a 16% import tax based upon the price for a new drone in Mexico. Second, the Mexican corrupt government has announced new laws for drones that go into effect on December 1, 2018. An article about these changes is attached.

Tighter rules on drones coming but non-Mexicans need not apply
Oh, that’s a bummer man. I was just down in the Cancun area a couple of weeks ago and wished I had brought my mp to get some nice sunset pics of my family. We will be going back in January so it’s disappointing to see a story like this. I don’t think I’m the type to risk my drone at customs,so thanks for the heads up!

Absolutely 1000%! LAX to Puerto Vallarta on Arro Mexico, 1997.
1997? So....21 years ago?.....that’s hardly Relevant for 2018 . As for the 2015 thing in playa... lots of people all over the world get robbed outside bars even in the United States of amerrrica. Sorry that happened,but again,has nothing to do with “corrupt” cops and Mexican authorities at their border.
I travel to Mexico quite frequently in the winter months and have never witnessed authorities shaking down tourists. But that too,is only my own experience and just as irrelevant to the post regarding drone laws in mexico.:)

I’m afraid that the drug cartels are using them to fly drugs in,a phantom could carry a kilo just imagine one with a 30lb payload such as the sw 1000

Guys I hate threads like this were it's going to ether get political ,have racist remarks or just down right rude . I have deleted more post in this and see another staff member has already deleted some I am just cleaning up .If it continues this thread will cease to stay open
This is an international forum guys and at any one time their are more guest reading here than members and what you say reflects on all of us so think .
And if you have an issue with my post or anything else related to this PM me do not post it .
IMG_7921.jpg

Hi!

I'm going to Cancun from New York on December 2019. If I understand the new law well then I have to pay a 16% tax on my $ 1150 wire, which is $ 184. My Mavic Air is below 25kg for my drone, so I do not have to license it, I just have to register. But I will not know why registration is linked to a Mexican nationality.
If I ever find someone who registers for me and want to fly at 3 Maya Memorial, I'll still have to ask permission from the Archeology Institute. 1 day for the video license drone if i saw it well. $ 600 and 10 days in advance, and only in Spanish is the data sheet. If I want a 3-day license for a $ 1800 + $ 184 duty and even a Mexican citizen, I need to use my drones.
This is somehow incredible to me. Rather I really leave my dronome at home.
If I did not understand the law well then please correct it.
Or write that I can use my drones.

Thanks in advance.

Oh, that’s a bummer man. I was just down in the Cancun area a couple of weeks ago and wished I had brought my mp to get some nice sunset pics of my family. We will be going back in January so it’s disappointing to see a story like this. I don’t think I’m the type to risk my drone at customs,so thanks for the heads up!
There is nothing wrong with bringing your drone into Mexico so long as you have your purchase paperwork. However, the obvious question that you might be asked is "why?" since if the new regs actually go into effect you won't be able to fly and you can't sell (in theory.) That all being said, I still fly mine on the beach areas of the hotel zone. I watch for the federales driving in their ATVs and just steer clear of them. Even if one were to spot me I would just hit RTH and walk in another direction assuming, of course, that my MP went back to HOME. There is nothing illegal with having a RC.

Reactions: aaronwashere
The article specifically mentions requirements for drones over 55lbs but is very vague for smaller UAV. Thinking it may still be possible but require more diligence when traveling into and out of Mexico. However, one thing I’ve learned in my experience going to Mexico, laws don’t matter. They’ll do whatever they want to a tourist and you have zero recourse.

I’ve been onboard flights that have been forced to land and every passenger taken off the plane to pay $20 each to get back on and continue. Seriously. It’s Mexico. And that also means, if they pull your drone out and threaten to tax you, that’s just a hint to break out some dollars and put it in the pocket of the customs agent. You’ll be in your way with your drone in no time.
You are right in that everything in Mexico is negotiable. When going into a scenario where I might encounter authorities I put 200 pesos (about $20) in my wallet and the rest of my money in another pocket. I then offer to pay with all my money. Usually these people just want / need money, especially around the holiday time. They don't get paid much ($10-20 a day) and they can't buy their kid a Transformer for Christmas on that.
Never keep all your money in one place when in Mexico. Whatever they think you have they will take. I have actually gotten out of fake speeding tickets with 70 pesos ($3.50 USD) by telling the cop that this is all I have. They don't want to write a ticket because most of them don't know how to write.

The fact that there are people here advocating to freely break laws in another country is simply disgusting.

I will be goin in January next month what do I need to do to bring my air with me?? I’m new to all of this and thanks in advance

I will be goin in January next month what do I need to do to bring my air with me?? I’m new to all of this and thanks in advance
You will need a receipt for the purchase. If it is less than 6 months old do not be surprised if they charge you a 16% import duty. It all depends upon the customs person. If you have a receipt that is less than 6 months old, scan it in and then use Photoshop or a similar software package and change the purchase date to something at least 6 months ago. That is all you need. If you arrive in Terminal 3 (United and American) you will not have as many problems that you would encounter in Terminal 4 (Southwest and all Canadian flights.) The reason 4 is worse is because of the legalization of marijuana in Canada so they seem to check almost all bags--as if someone would actually think of bringing pot INTO Mexico when you can buy it on the street from vendors (which I highly recommend you NOT ever do.) I carry my drone in my carry bag and have the batteries with me. I have never had a problem but I go in and out regularly and some of the customs officers actually recognize me and know I work and live in Mexico. Just remain calm. Act apologetic. Offer to pay whatever import taxes they want. Don't argue as that will get you no where. Don't be surprised if they spend a lot of time talking amongst themselves as to what to do--as if you are the first person coming into Mexico with a drone. They don't want the drone. They want the money.
Hope this helps. when you fly do not EVER fly over any of the ruins. They will nab you, keep the drone and probably fine you. If you drone on the beaches keep an eye out for the federales in ATVs. They cruise around about once an hour or so mainly to keep the peace on the beaches.

Thank you.. I bought my air used back in sept no reciect... and I’m flying from Canada so doesn’t look good . I will pack it with my dslr.

You will need a receipt for the purchase. If it is less than 6 months old do not be surprised if they charge you a 16% import duty. It all depends upon the customs person. If you have a receipt that is less than 6 months old, scan it in and then use Photoshop or a similar software package and change the purchase date to something at least 6 months ago. That is all you need. If you arrive in Terminal 3 (United and American) you will not have as many problems that you would encounter in Terminal 4 (Southwest and all Canadian flights.) The reason 4 is worse is because of the legalization of marijuana in Canada so they seem to check almost all bags--as if someone would actually think of bringing pot INTO Mexico when you can buy it on the street from vendors (which I highly recommend you NOT ever do.) I carry my drone in my carry bag and have the batteries with me. I have never had a problem but I go in and out regularly and some of the customs officers actually recognize me and know I work and live in Mexico. Just remain calm. Act apologetic. Offer to pay whatever import taxes they want. Don't argue as that will get you no where. Don't be surprised if they spend a lot of time talking amongst themselves as to what to do--as if you are the first person coming into Mexico with a drone. They don't want the drone. They want the money.
Hope this helps. when you fly do not EVER fly over any of the ruins. They will nab you, keep the drone and probably fine you. If you drone on the beaches keep an eye out for the federales in ATVs. They cruise around about once an hour or so mainly to keep the peace on the beaches.

Make a receipt. Since it is used it won't be from a store so make something like you would use if you were selling it to someone else and they wanted a receipt for their insurance. Put any name and address on the top and then put "1 USED MAVIC PRO DRONE Serial #98989998). that will be fine. They won't know the difference. Also, if it has any signs of wear and tear (scratches, scuffs, etc.) that is good! It shows that it isn't new. That is the main thing they are looking for. They don't want you bringing a $1,000 drone to Mexico and selling it for $1200. That's all.

Thanks for the info I guess it’s a good thing I had a minor mishap that put a little mark on it from crashing into my dining room chair!!!

Make a receipt. Since it is used it won't be from a store so make something like you would use if you were selling it to someone else and they wanted a receipt for their insurance. Put any name and address on the top and then put "1 USED MAVIC PRO DRONE Serial #98989998). that will be fine. They won't know the difference. Also, if it has any signs of wear and tear (scratches, scuffs, etc.) that is good! It shows that it isn't new. That is the main thing they are looking for. They don't want you bringing a $1,000 drone to Mexico and selling it for $1200. That's all.

Where can I find the actual laws?

I’m going on December 25, 2018. I want to know if it’s a good idea to take my drone.

I’m using for personal use and it weighs 600 grams.

Where can I find the actual laws?

I’m going on December 25, 2018. I want to know if it’s a good idea to take my drone.

I’m using for personal use and it weighs 600 grams.
I live in Jalisco Mexico and have been looking for the "new" law. Nothing has been added to the current drone laws. A new political administration just came into office...The rumors (based on a couple of newspaper articles) reflected the desires of the past administration and not the views of the current. But who knows...This is Mexico and it can go into effect tomorrow if the current politicians want it...Here are the govt. links.. Secretaria de Comunicaciones y Transportes: 3.5 RPAS (Drones)
This one states the current rules...It stipulates you need to register drones. No one does because the penalty is a civil violation not criminal violation like the alleged new law that has not appeared as of yet. This is a searchable govt. site gob.mx and you can search "RPAS". Of course, everything is in Spanish so turn on the translator.

Reactions: Gringorio

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato