DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Drone laws in Mexico--Tourists can't use drones after 12/1/18

I live in Jalisco Mexico and have been looking for the "new" law. Nothing has been added to the current drone laws. A new political administration just came into office...The rumors (based on a couple of newspaper articles) reflected the desires of the past administration and not the views of the current. But who knows...This is Mexico and it can go into effect tomorrow if the current politicians want it...Here are the govt. links.. Secretaria de Comunicaciones y Transportes: 3.5 RPAS (Drones)
This one states the current rules...It stipulates you need to register drones. No one does because the penalty is a civil violation not criminal violation like the alleged new law that has not appeared as of yet. This is a searchable govt. site and you can search "RPAS". Of course, everything is in Spanish so turn on the translator.
gob.mx

First post but wanted to say that I’ve brought my Spark to Mazatlan twice now without any issue whatsoever. Packed in a case in my carry on I flew from Detroit>Dallas>Mazatlan last December and this past week from Detroit>Mexico City>Mazatlan. The first trip I cleared customs in Mazatlan no questions asked. This past trip our carry on ended up being checked in Detroit to save cabin space. I didn’t see the bag again until baggage claim in Mazatlan. I myself cleared customs in Mexico City so it wasn’t actually with me when I went through. I’m not actually sure how that situation was dealt with to be honest. But I just picked it up at Mazatlan baggage claim and that was it. Can’t say how it would be anywhere else but thought I’d share my experience.
4EA6C1F6-070E-4E1E-8D3C-AF75B7812094.jpeg

Reactions: TR Ganey
Interesting Forum thread. We are dealing with another country, and some of the less enlightened forum members think: -they can't read, they can't proclaim their own laws. -they are all a bunch of thieves, -they have no right to promote their own safety, import, tax rules....... On and on! If a Mexican was bringing his drone to the US, would you give him freedoms that even our own citizens don't have? That is essentially what some of you profess. The US has set up a set of rules and regulations for flying drones, not because it is some take your freedom away and charge you while doing so, but because a drone can be a dangerous object in the wrong hands. So, back to that Mexican citizen coming to visit the US, should he be appalled (like some of you are about Mexico), that the US wants him to pass a test, register his drone, pay taxes on it, if it is worth more than $XXX before he can fly it?
Wow! What kind of people are we?

Reactions: sshephard
Brought my Mavic 2 Pro in it’s hard shell carrying case on my American Airlines flight from Philly to Cancun and I had absolutely no problems going through customs they didn’t open my bags so that’s a plus. I flew around my hotel for a few days and one day they gave me looks but I just kept flying and nothing happened. The pictures and videos are beautiful.

This post is BS. I go to Mexico several times a year, I usually take my drone, and I have never, ever had a single problem. I also take my boat (a Yamaha AR230) and my quad (Honda TRX450R). Absolutely no problem ever with bringing toys across the border...but of course I bring my title, registration, and any other papers I have.

If you are going to Mexico, all you need to know is this: YOU ARE A GUEST. If you act like a good guest (be polite, don't be disrespectful, don't cause problems) you will be absolutely fine. Mexicans are good, friendly, hardworking people and just like any other country, there are a few bad ones looking to make a fast buck. That doesn't mean the entire country is corrupt.

If you go into Mexico acting like an entitled, arrogant American idiot, you probably will have a hard time (and rightly so). If you are polite, patient, and don't call attention to yourself, you will have a great time.

Reactions: Dizzy1971
Just got back from Mazatlan and never an issue they treat your drone as if it was a cell phone camera. Never checked batteries or anything else at the airport except for a bag of polished glass I had with me.

I think we just have to get used to it, the idiots are winning. I think within 3 years in most countries all recreational use will be only for registered/license and will require insurance. I don't think it is a bad thing especially as these idiots won't regulate themselves.

The mexican resident rule only applies to large UAVs (over 25kg). For under you just need to register so you DONT have to be a mexican.

I think we just have to get used to it, the idiots are winning. I think within 3 years in most countries all recreational use will be only for registered/license and will require insurance. I don't think it is a bad thing especially as these idiots won't regulate themselves.

The mexican resident rule only applies to large UAVs (over 25kg). For under you just need to register so you DONT have to be a mexican.

I am an American citizen and have lived in Manzanillo, Colima, Mexico for 18 years. I have "Permanent Resident" status in Mexico.

I have tried 3 times to register my 2 Mavic platinums. The instructions are on line. I sent the required documents to the indicated email address [email protected] with no results. The instructions say that I should here back within 5 days. I have sent them in 3 times now..... the 1st time back in Dec. still no reply.
I fly my drone now but only from isolated launching points.

From the 20 years living in Mexico (2 inTijuana and the 18 in Manzanillo) I know how the laws work and consequently I RESPECT them.

The new law in Mexico is clear that the size drones, we are all flying, MUST be registered. Bigger ones need a commercial license but all (over about 1 lb) need to be registered.

Before this law passed, I carried my drone in and out of Mexico 6 times.... 4 times it passed unnoticed, twice it was a problem. Once I paid $60 in taxes and another time the person was using her smart phone to search the cost on line. I had a receipt for $500 that I had produced myself as if I had purchased it used. She was showing a value much higher on line. I was politely and "innocently" debating with her as to the value. She decided she needed to get the supervisors assistance. Fortunately the supervisor was busy with some bigger issues. Finally after 20 minutes of waiting she just said "just go ahead".

Like it or not, say it is or aint so, the fact is...... the custom agent has the absolute right to determine the value of the drone and charge taxes....

Like it or not, say it is or aint so, the fact is...... a policeman has the right to confiscate ANY unregistered drone. (more likely they will settle for a "mordida" but that negotiation can be delicate)

This is information.... it is your decision..

Where can I find the actual laws?

I’m going on December 25, 2018. I want to know if it’s a good idea to take my drone.

I’m using for personal use and it weighs 600 grams.

How did it go traveling to Mexico with your drone? Any issues? Thanks

Reactions: Thomas B
I still fly my drone in Mexico but I check out to see if the federales are nearby when I fly. If they are then I don't fly. I have, at times, asked the Federales or Marines on the beach if it is OK to fly and because most are basically illiterate and have no idea what the laws are, say it is OK. I am in Hawaii now and don't anticipate any problems returning to Mexico but I have a Work Visa, have a legitimate company in Mexico that is involved with photography and have a copy of my invoice to show that I bought the drone a few years back. I will know more in a few days.

Reactions: Stephenmaycol
Folks. If you are coming to Mexico leave your drone at home. First, as a good friend of mine just learned, the customs folks are going through luggage more diligently and they found his two drones, both of which were over a year old but for which he did not have sales documentation to prove the purchase was at least six months ago so he got hit with a 16% import tax based upon the price for a new drone in Mexico. Second, the Mexican corrupt government has announced new laws for drones that go into effect on December 1, 2018. An article about these changes is attached.

Tighter rules on drones coming but non-Mexicans need not apply

Sad. Another reason not to go to Mexico. BTW, I've done business in Hawaii with your brother, Snorkel Bob.

• Haha
Reactions: pelagic_one
The fact that there are people here advocating to freely break laws in another country is simply disgusting.

That's an amusing comment, coming from a Sea Shepard operator, an organization that routinely breaks laws of other countries, international laws, and the laws of the sea.

That being said and to stay on topic, its quite common and expected, in countries like Mexico or where I live in the Dominican Republic, to 'tip' the authorities to get out of violations that may have been illegally set up to begin with.

Reactions: Hauptmann
I said it before and I'll say it again -- I take my drone to Mexico several times each year, and never had a single issue.

Video from a few weeks ago while trying (and failing) to get ActiveTrack to work. It seemed to work OK for a little while, but then the drone would hit an imaginary wall and simply freeze in mid-flight. I'm sure this is my fault somehow, but I never figured out how to get it to keep following me (once it froze, it never resumed following me, even though it would turn to point in my direction).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's an amusing comment, coming from a Sea Shepard operator, an organization that routinely breaks laws of other countries, international laws, and the laws of the sea.

That being said and to stay on topic, its quite common and expected, in countries like Mexico or where I live in the Dominican Republic, to 'tip' the authorities to get out of violations that may have been illegally set up to begin with.

Nice try... If that is the case, why is SS still operating around the world? Then you go on to suggest doing an illegal act to get away with something illegal.

Taxed!!

This is the 3 time I’ve brought a drone through Customs at SJD. The first time, the customs worker said, “Tax.” When I began to protest, she said, “Next time. “ last year was the next time and nobody even looked at the drone. This time the customs person saw the batteries and asked what they were. I said, “Drone” which he asked to see. Right away he went to his cell phone looking, I assume, for the retail value. (It was a Mavic 2 Pro). I had a receipt that showed I had paid $500 US used for it. He told me the value they were taxing was $400 US and directed me to the tax office.

I ended up paying about a 12% tax and was told that if I bring the receipt with me the next time I bring my drone to Mexico, I wouldn’t have to pay an import duty.

Thought you should know . . .

Taxed!!

This is the 3 time I’ve brought a drone through Customs at SJD. The first time, the customs worker said, “Tax.” When I began to protest, she said, “Next time. “ last year was the next time and nobody even looked at the drone. This time the customs person saw the batteries and asked what they were. I said, “Drone” which he asked to see. Right away he went to his cell phone looking, I assume, for the retail value. (It was a Mavic 2 Pro). I had a receipt that showed I had paid $500 US used for it. He told me the value they were taxing was $400 US and directed me to the tax office.

I ended up paying about a 12% tax and was told that if I bring the receipt with me the next time I bring my drone to Mexico, I wouldn’t have to pay an import duty.

Thought you should know . . .

You got screwed. Sorry. You are allowed to bring ANY object with a value of under $600 into Mexico with NO import taxes and if the object is over $600 but is over 6 months old then you are exempt from taxes. The collector is enjoying your $400 which is more than he makes in 6 months. I got tired of this BS (and the daily murders by the Cartel) and after 4 years of living in Cancun I moved back to the US in December. Mexico sucks.

To each his own, I guess. The tax was about $48 and while I agree that I may have the right to avoid taxes like this, I wasn’t exactly in a position of power. My logic, however flawed it might be, is that on average I paid about $22 each time I brought my drone to Mexico, which is worth it to me. And I love Mexico, especially the East cape of the Baja. Now when I return here, I have a receipt that says I’ve paid my “dues.”

Reactions: Gringorio

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54