DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Drone pilot Here, Mavic Air crashed into pond

Could you post the DAT flightlog?
There should be a folder named MCDatFlightRecords where you found the xt flight log. In MCDatFlightRecords the last flight log should have a name containing _FLY059, that's the one you want.

What puzzles me is why the drone reports that it was climbing shortly after you released the elevator/forward stick and why there is a significant difference in the two heights reported in the visibly incorrect climb.
The attached portion of the log corresponds to the period covered by the video I think

Attachments

• plots 2.png
    plots 2.png
    352.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited by a moderator:
...it crashed into a pond, currently drying out, fingers crossed.
Anyway, I'm looking for help in discovering why it crashed.
Nothing apparent is shown in the .TXT log that directly tells us what happened ... as we have seen many times before, especially from Mavic 2's ... the .TXT log just ends with the craft still at height. So in this sense (with this short control distance) only one thing is totally clear, the motors stops, this as the .TXT log only runs when they are running.

So looking into the telemetry ...

At 485sec into the flight you had just released the elevator stick (right stick forward, black dashed graph) from full in Sport mode. The heading speed was there nearly 17m/s (Magenta graph) & your craft put on full brakes by pitching full backwards (green graph)... and the heading speed drops rapidly. Neither the yaw (purple graph) or roll (blue graph) moves. The craft ascends some during the braking (red graph) ... but that isn't uncommon when max braking from full Sport mode speed (also have a Mavic Air 1 & have seen it happen).

Then the craft goes down in the pond without altering any angels for the 3 axis ... a perfect ballistic trajectory. The reason for this is possibly due to a sudden power loss (battery is attached from the belly side on a Mavic Air 1). If you can share the mobile device .DAT log belonging to this flight we can at least confirm that nothing else happens to the motors before the log ends ... the correct .DAT log ends with FLY059.DAT & is located where you found the the .TXT log in a sub folder MCDatFlightRecords.

Was the battery still properly attached when you got it up from the pond?

1645319267282.png

Last edited:
Nothing apparent is shown in the .TXT log that directly tells us what happened ... as we have seen many times before, especially from Mavic 2's ... the .TXT log just ends with the craft still at height. So in this sense (with this short control distance) only one thing is totally clear, the motors stops, this as the .TXT log only runs when they are running.

At 485sec into the flight you had just released the elevator stick (right stick forward, black dashed graph) from full in Sport mode. The heading speed was there nearly 17m/s (Magenta graph) & your craft put on full brakes by pitching full backwards (green graph)... and the heading speed drops rapidly. Neither the yaw (purple graph) or roll (blue graph) moves. The craft ascends some during the braking (red graph) ... but that isn't uncommon when max braking from full Sport mode speed (also have a Mavic Air 1 & have seen it happen).

Then the craft goes down in the pond without altering any angels for the 3 axis ... a perfect ballistic trajectory. The reason for this is possibly due to a sudden power loss (battery is attached from the belly side on a Mavic Air 1). If you can share the mobile device .DAT log belonging to this flight we can at least confirm that nothing else happens to the motors before the log ends ... the correct .DAT log ends with FLY059.DAT & is located where you found the the .TXT log in a sub folder MCDatFlightRecords.

View attachment 144159
Yes battery was fully attached, there was still a faint red tail light flickering on the drone. I will have a look for the file you mention later tonight.
Many thanks

Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your participation and your view of the world. You will find plenty of support here. Sorry for the mishap.

View attachment 144159
DAT file now attached, please let me know what you find

Attachments

• 22-02-17-05-32-29_FLY059.DAT
    3.1 MB · Views: 4
So I dried the drone thoroughly and tried it, no joy.
What happens is:
power button on
front leg lights light up solid red
Gimble dances and centralizes
Front props twitch but nothing from rear
rear light runs through , yellow, green red twice then stays on solid red
fan comes on intermittently but very slowly.
so rear chip starts to heat up quickly
Gimble will stay level as I move the drone around.( camera and sensors have no condensation)
No connection to controller ( I think it may have gone green the very first time I tried )
NEXT MOVE - youtube helped me.
I stripped the drone removing the main board, popped off the small metal covers/heat sinks and thoroughly cleaned everything with Isopropyl alcohol (it was actually very clean to start with) carefully rebuilt.
No obvious signs of burnt components
Still has same faults as above, so at least I didn't make it any worse. LOL
Tried using DJI Assistant to reset factory settings, but still same problems.
I do have DJI Asssistant Export file which I recovered from the drone if its any help to me.

anyone any idea whats fried? is it economical to fix?
I have to admit to being very disheartened with my short drone ownership experience.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum from Chicago the Windy City.
Sorry for your loss, hope it can be resurrected from the dead? You may have a 50% chance for it to fly again.
Other's have done the same thing, do a search using the Magnifying glass upper right hand corner.
Type in" fresh water crash," see what answers you get. Or, try another way to word it.

DAT file now attached, please let me know what you find
Thank's ... that's the correct one.

Looked at the motor data & nothing there indicate any malfunction, they rotate & follows the flight controllers command accurately. But looking close they seemed to be commanded in an odd way when it comes to only being commanded to stop a leveled forward flight going into a hover.

So dug a bit further & started to look at that height change we earlier saw in the TXT log ... & I think that those that earlier thought that it looked wrong most probably where into something.

If we take a couple graphs at a time from below chart to make it easier to follow ...

The dashed black is again your last stick input, release of the right stick forward to neutral ... as a reference point. The craft starts to pitch nose up for braking from full speed in Sport mode.

Until where I have placed the chart marker (at 484,4sec) the available different height readings agree well, but just there something happens ... which will regulate how the motors behave.

The purple graph shows a derived altitude reading from the used IMU (#1 was used in this flight) ... it shows the same shape wise ascend as what we saw earlier in the TXT log. Comparing that with the dark green graph, which is the same read out but from the other IMU which was not used (#0) ... this shows a big deviation, we don't see any ascend there. Adding in the blue GPS height reading to this ... and that correlates well with the altitude reading from the unused IMU (#0, dark green). This leads me to think that this ascend never happened ... which seems to be confirmed if looking at your crash clip. So the used IMU (#1) altitude reading i very likely wrong & the ascend never happens in reality.

If looking at the vertical speeds reported from each IMU we see a similar deviation ... The red graph is from the used IMU (#1) & it shows a rapid change of speed going to negative 3,5m/s (negative value=ascend, positive=descend). The light green graph is the same vertical speed but coming from the unused IMU (#0), this shows instead an increasing positive value from the point where the chart marker is at 484,4sec ... it shows an increasing descend speed.

So again the used IMU (#1) gives the flight controller wrong information ... it says that the craft is ascending when it actually is losing height.

(Click on the chart to make it larger)
1645517858258.png

Have in the above chart also added in how the 4 motors were commanded ... have made all 4 graphs grey as their individual values aren't important. The command is in percent from 0 to 100% ... so if the grey graphs goes up the flight controller wants more thrust ... if they goes down it wants less thrust.

If going back to where you just had reached neutral stick (dashed black about 0,4sec before the altitudes begins to deviate)... we see that both IMU's vertical speeds (the red & light green) first goes slightly negative with about 0,8m/s (ascends slowly) ... and the grey graphs shows a low command for less thrust. But then 0,2sec later both red & light green turns towards the positive direction (indicating a decrease in the ascent speed) this continues for 0,2sec ... and the grey increase & command the motors for more thrust to catch the craft from starting to descend... to maintain height.

And now we are at 484,4sec where the chart marker is ... here the used IMU wrongly tells the flight controller that the red vertical speed rapidly goes to a growing negative value (ascends) ... and the grey's again goes down & command the motors for less thrust to stop the ascend (...an ascend that is false & never happens).

This causes the craft to actually descend in reality ... & this continues until 485,7sec were all altitude readings & vertical speeds start to agree better. This make the flight controller aware of the descend & the grey's ramps quickly up for more thrust to stop the descend ... but it's to late, the vertical speed is to high (the correct functioning IMU#0 indicates a descend speed of nearly 6,5m/s) ... and at 486,1sec your craft goes into the pond & the RC-AC connection is lost & by that the log ends.

So the reason for this incident is most probably a failing IMU#1 ... if it was a temporary computational error or a permanent failure I don't know, but this was very likely the cause.

Wow, incredibly thorough investigation, you have certainly aswered my question.....did i crash it? I think the answer is confirmed as No.
I kinda hoped it was pilot error and then again i didnt, if it was me then I could put it down to being a bit of a tit and move on.
The fact it was faulty electronics is also a bit sad as I only bought it used a few days before and to be fair it was flying well, i can't go back to the guy and tell him he sold me a dud.
My next move is to try and fix it cheap or sell on the broken drone with all the extras and try and get some cash back, for another? Not sure atm.
Thanks again for your time.

Just a repost to see if I can identify damaged components
Thanks in advance

So I dried the drone thoroughly and tried it, no joy.
What happens is:
power button on
front leg lights light up solid red
Gimbal runs through initial check and centralizes
Front props twitch but nothing from rear
rear light runs through , yellow, green red twice then stays on solid red
fan comes on intermittently but very slowly.
Rear chip (GPS ?)starts to heat up
No beeps from drone
Gimbal will stay level as I move the drone around.( camera and sensors have no condensation)
No connection to controller ( I think it may have gone green the very first time I tried )
NEXT MOVE - youtube helped me.
I stripped the drone removing the main board, popped off the small metal covers/heat sinks and thoroughly cleaned everything with Isopropyl alcohol (it was actually very clean to start with) carefully rebuilt.
No obvious signs of burnt components
Still has same faults as above, so at least I didn't make it any worse. LOL
Tried using DJI Assistant to reset factory settings, but still same problems.
I do have DJI Asssistant Export file which I recovered from the drone if its any help to me.

Any tech guys on here to point me in the right direction?
Replacing the main board is probably not an option as its pretty expensive.
Thanks

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll