DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

aerialnorthwest

Approved Vendor
Reactions
Site
aerialnorthwest.com
Happy Wednesday! Drones have become an essential tool in various industries, including commercial photography, surveying, and inspection. However, as their usage continues to increase, concerns about safety, privacy, and nuisance have prompted state lawmakers to address the regulation of drones in their communities. In a recent video presentation, Russ at 51Drones discussed the potential issue of local and state agencies overreaching their authority in regulating the airspace where drones are allowed to take-off, land, and fly.

The discussion aims to raise awareness about the need for clarity and consistency in the rules governing drone operations, to ensure the safe and responsible use of these unmanned aerial vehicles.

For your consideration to help you navigate this turbulent aerial space, I’ve compiled this drone pilot business strategy outline for you to consider as you fly forward through these ambiguous local flight conditions. I hope you find the insights useful for your aerial brand.

The New Report: New Drone Rules and Local Government Overreach

Fly informed! 😉 T

Well written and to the point. What lawmakers don't understand is that the ONLY thing they can control is where UASs can take off and land and only if it's public property. Other than that they have no authority. There is no need for "privacy" laws as there are plenty of those already on the books and more are not needed.

The true purpose of the modern politician is to find new and exciting ways to pick your pocket. They haven't figured out how to drain you wallet while "allowing" you to fly a drone, but trust me ... it is coming.
Maybe so, but there is nobody to blame except ourselves. It is the voters who keep electing these clowns (from either party) that are the real culprit here ... on any topic.

I saw a survey a couple of years ago where a broad sample of voters were asked what they thought about politicians. Almost every one had a negative view of them all ... except for their own representative.

We keep electing the most polarized candidates ... who often seem to be the least educated or even least intelligent of the bunch. We do this stuff to ourselves. It's our job to elect better representatives at any level of government ... nobody else.

Well written and to the point. What lawmakers don't understand is that the ONLY thing they can control is where UASs can take off and land and only if it's public property. Other than that they have no authority. There is no need for "privacy" laws as there are plenty of those already on the books and more are not needed.
Thank you so much! Be well! ;-) T

Reactions: PhilJenkins
This distinction is something I've been trying to get a definitive understanding of. For example, if I take off from a place I am legally allowed to, can I fly over the forest that is state land? If it matters, I'm in CT any area under the jurisdiction of DEEP is off limits. DEEP is Department of Energy & Environmental Protection in Connecticut.

Reactions: aerialnorthwest
This distinction is something I've been trying to get a definitive understanding of. For example, if I take off from a place I am legally allowed to, can I fly over the forest that is state land? If it matters, I'm in CT any area under the jurisdiction of DEEP is off limits. DEEP is Department of Energy & Environmental Protection in Connecticut.
Hey Jamie! Flying drones can be challenging, especially when many people who are not familiar with them are still figuring things out. Good communication and giving it time will help to reduce confusion and frustration. Meanwhile, the best thing we can do as drone pilots is to follow all local, state, and federal regulations, stay aware of flight zones, and engage with the community in a friendly manner. Happy Saturday! T ;-) PS. By the way, today I will be spending time in the studio with my Fender "Tele" in hand! It's all about rockin' with the buds today! Happy guitaring!

I think my reply didn't post. I said something like you can probably overfly, but the number of sites where you are going to have permission to take off and land and still have enough battery life to overfly a portion of a large state property and return to the safe landing zone is probably very limited. And if you have an emergency and have to land immediately instead of RTH, you may end up landing on the regulated property and run afoul of their takeoff/landing rules. My state has this rule for Department of Natural Resources properties and it is frustrating, but I don't really see a way around it except being patient and lobbying for changes. Many states allow drones in their public parks, and I'm hoping this will change in my state, with some sensible, easy-to-follow rules about takeoffs and landings. Until then, I find somewhere else to fly.

What lawmakers don't understand is that the ONLY thing they can control is where UASs can take off and land and only if it's public property. Other than that they have no authority.
Good luck with that in my state...
They have passed all manner of [Language removed by ADMIN] laws and can even arrest you for trespassing if your RTH takes you over private property.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn’t learning airspace regulations a fundamental part of getting your 107?

• Love
Reactions: BigAl07
And… correct me if I am wrong, “operate from”. In Australia, you could, for example, take off from a public road reserve and fly, for example, over a National Park (whether or not the area is “no drones”), barring other restrictions. But you could not take off from a road reserve, fly over a “no drone” area, then take your controller into the area (say, to keep sight of your drone and fly into the area further), as that landowner has stated you cannot operate from that area: including taking off, landing and controlling from.

Reactions: mobilehomer
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gottawonder