DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New FAA Rule As of January 2018

PlatinumPilot

Reactions
Just saw that all drones--even hobby fliers--must register drones as of January 2018. There two categories. You can read more here: FAADroneZone

And I just ordered my first drone, a Mavic Platium Pro, earlier today. :(

No need to be sad about it. It helps to protects others and we all have to try and play by the rules.

The registration requirement was actually reinstated on December 12th. See more details here.

Reactions: SpitFire
Thanks for the clarification. That was the thing that was holding me back--registering with Big Brother. Finding out after the order was placed took the wind outta my sails. But I'll get over it. I hope.

Thanks for the clarification. That was the thing that was holding me back--registering with Big Brother. Finding out after the order was placed took the wind outta my sails. But I'll get over it. I hope.

Yes, but if a black helicopter starts following you the Mavic will chase it away!

I've been registered since 2/16/2016, I really don't mind the registration, When I lived in Puerto Rico local Fish and Wildlife would come by where I'd be sometimes and as soon as I showed my FAA registration and basic knowledge of flight safety they would let me fly without incident. It's a good indication to most LEOs that you are willing to follow the rules.

if i reg myself with the faa before the court case lifted it, do i need to reg again? I thought last time we reg ourself not each aircraft?

if i reg myself with the faa before the court case lifted it, do i need to reg again? I thought last time we reg ourself not each aircraft?
No need to register again if you have previously done so, and yes you are correct - you register yourself, and use that same number for each drone you fly.

I purchased a Mavic earlier this year. It has some defects and sent back to DJI for repair. I registered the drone with FAA. When they returned drone to me it was a different drone, in fact it was refurbished. Subsequently, I returned Mavic to Costco and they gladly accepted it, then I purchased another Mavic thru Costco.

Since I am no longer in possession of the Mavic that was registered with my name & serial #. How do I get it out of my name? If something bad should happen with the registered serial # in my name, I would probably be held responsible.

Any suggestions to resolve this issue??

Any suggestions to resolve this issue??
If you registered as a hobbyist, there is nothing to do (since you did not register with your serial #). If you registered to fly commercially, then you should contact the FAA here.

Reactions: AerialsRus
The registration requirement was actually reinstated on December 12th. See more details here.
Question: on a different subject. Wondering if any company makes small strobes to attach to Mavic Pro to Flash
on and off so its easier to spot. Especially to keep it in line of sight ?

Does anyone know if you have to do the pilots license for hobby flight?
In the US, you do not need any license to operate you drone for strictly hobby/recreational use.

You do need to register with the FAA and put your registration number on all your drones before you fly them outdoors.

Does anyone know if you have to do the pilots license for hobby flight?
If you're in the US, you just need to register with the FAA here. And then apply your registration number to your drone (in a location that does not require tools to see it) before flying. I always place the registration number inside of the battery compartment.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremy Green