DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New firmware 1000 for Mavic Pro. Anyone tried it?

If anyone actually cares about image quality, they should be shooting in RAW.

Given that the latest update says some generic "improved image quality", does anyone know or has tested if there is any impact to the RAW file? A RAW is a RAW, but the data is still controlled by the sensor and processor. Wondering if they were able to read a clearer signal, or what...

If it's just an improvement for processed JPG image, then.. meh. :p

Yeah that video was really disappointing. But then, what can you expect from a Youtube video that starts with "wazzup guys". In general, I don't see the point in doing a three-minute video to tell something that could be said in a couple of well-written and edited paragraphs of text, and a couple of example pictures. Videos are so overrated. They are hard to edit if you notice a mistake afterwards, and the textual contents does not get indexed by search engines. Lose-lose, really.

By the way, you are misstating a bit when you say that ND filters would be needed to avoid overexposure. To reduce exposure (get a darker image), just reduce the exposure. Use a shorter exposure time (faster shutter speed), or decrease the sensitivity ("ISO"). Most trivially, just rotate the right-hand exposure compensation wheel a bit to the left to get -0.3 or -0.7 EV compensation.

ND filters are used to be able to use a long exposure time (in video, for that "cinematic" motion blur in the frames; in stills, for intentionally (partial) motion blur). The exposure (overall brightness of the image) stays the same: less strong light reaches the sensor but for a correspondingly longer time.

As for the alleged image quality improvements, I will believe only reports that at least try to use some kind of scientific reasoning and measurements of some data in the video or still image file, and not just eyeballing a video.

ND filters are used not only to achieve shutter speed twice the frame rate for cinematic look but also ND filters stop jello effect and prop shadow.

How do you update the batteries, please?

You just pop them in the Mavic and the app will point out that you have inconsistent firmware. It will demand that you update. I like to do this at home through the Assistant but you can do it on WIFI through the app if you want.

It just got out this morning, it seems, has anyone installed it?
Here are the release notes:

Overview
  • All-in-One firmware version updated to v01.03.1000
  • DJI GO app iOS version updated to v4.1.7
  • DJI GO app Android version updated to v4.1.5

What’s New?
  • Fixed an occasional issue where DNG files couldn’t be opened.
  • Fixed an occasional issue where the camera would restart automatically during recording.
  • Fixed an occasional issue where the gimbal would drift after self-checking.
  • Limited the max descend speed to 2 m/s and max ascend speed to 3 m/s in Propeller Cage mode.
  • Improved image quality.

This firmware is also an update for DJI Goggles:
  • Added Head Tracking for Spark (with firmware v01.00.0600 or later), the Inspire 2 (with firmware v01.01.0200 or later) and the Phantom 4 (with aircraft firmware v2.0.0.16 or later and remote controller firmware 1.9.3).
  • Added remote controller signal strength icon.
  • Optimized audio quality.

Notes
  • Restart the aircraft and remote controller after upgrade is complete.
  • Please note that firmware update may reset various Main Controller Settings, such as the RTH Altitude and Maximum Flight Distance, to factory defaults. Before the update, take note of your preferred DJI GO 4 settings, and readjust them after the update to suit your preference.
  • If the firmware upgrade fails, restart aircraft, remote controller and DJI GO 4 or DJI Assistant 2, and retry.

New Mavic Pro Firmware Released (22/08/2017)
So far so good.just did a few flights with it.All good

You just pop them in the Mavic and the app will point out that you have inconsistent firmware. It will demand that you update. I like to do this at home through the Assistant but you can do it on WIFI through the app if you want.
Thank You for your reply.I prefer assistant2 also

How do you update the batteries, please?
Repeat the firmware update with each battery in the Mavic Pro. I am in process now, you'll see the battery lights go down to the two center green lights with one flashing as the battery gets updated. After the first update, you'll get a message that there is a firmware incompatibility detected when you insert a new battery. Confirm and let it proceed. Subsequent updates go much faster. Make sure all your batteries are up to 100% before doing updates as a safety precaution. I think the update won't proceed if the battery levels are too low. I also use DJI Assistant 2.

20170826_104231.jpg

Confirm.JPG

WOW! Great Thank you! Can you comment why there are 3 (three) .1000 files to choose from in assistant 2 when performing firmware upgrade?

If anyone actually cares about image quality, they should be shooting in RAW.

Given that the latest update says some generic "improved image quality", does anyone know or has tested if there is any impact to the RAW file? A RAW is a RAW, but the data is still controlled by the sensor and processor. Wondering if they were able to read a clearer signal, or what...

If it's just an improvement for processed JPG image, then.. meh. :p

It appeared to be more for video. Billy Kyle youtube video has a side-by-side of latest .1000 and .900 firmwares. You can see quite a color change, and more light sensitive.

Maybe people are coming from earlier versions and they skipped .900 that's why they see the message to update battery firmware, while other people who did the battery update on .900 didn't see any update on the new .1000.

Any noticeable improvements with image quality?
I would have to agree with this Theory since I purchased one new battery since 900 in the only one it barked for an update.

It just got out this morning, it seems, has anyone installed it?
Here are the release notes:

Overview
  • All-in-One firmware version updated to v01.03.1000
  • DJI GO app iOS version updated to v4.1.7
  • DJI GO app Android version updated to v4.1.5

What’s New?
  • Fixed an occasional issue where DNG files couldn’t be opened.
  • Fixed an occasional issue where the camera would restart automatically during recording.
  • Fixed an occasional issue where the gimbal would drift after self-checking.
  • Limited the max descend speed to 2 m/s and max ascend speed to 3 m/s in Propeller Cage mode.
  • Improved image quality.

This firmware is also an update for DJI Goggles:
  • Added Head Tracking for Spark (with firmware v01.00.0600 or later), the Inspire 2 (with firmware v01.01.0200 or later) and the Phantom 4 (with aircraft firmware v2.0.0.16 or later and remote controller firmware 1.9.3).
  • Added remote controller signal strength icon.
  • Optimized audio quality.

Notes
  • Restart the aircraft and remote controller after upgrade is complete.
  • Please note that firmware update may reset various Main Controller Settings, such as the RTH Altitude and Maximum Flight Distance, to factory defaults. Before the update, take note of your preferred DJI GO 4 settings, and readjust them after the update to suit your preference.
  • If the firmware upgrade fails, restart aircraft, remote controller and DJI GO 4 or DJI Assistant 2, and retry.

New Mavic Pro Firmware Released (22/08/2017)
Updated last night, settings remained as they were, BUT, I lost connection during flight 3 times ! I could fly still, but RTH would not work. One time drone was just out of sight, that was worrying as no image on screen (said disconnected and had not signal readings) !
This was also first flight with a new phone, 6s plus. Every flight so far has done this 7 out of 7 !
Uninstalled app, reinstalled, still no good !

Reactions: Jimmie Hanson
I perform a firmware update every time there is an update given for mavic. This is the first time I have ever seen the notice which is associated with a battery update.

It seems to me that all this talk about ways to thwart the upgrade or update process for firmware kind of defeats the purpose of why there are firmware upgrades in the first place. I have been updating all along since I got my mavic about 9 months ago and I've gone through several and so far each one has been fine! All the talk about limiting your machine and everything else has not panned out at all! I am not sure why there is so much panic because typically firmware upgrades are meant to be an improvement rather than a limitation I think there are a lot of chicken littles going on out there saying the sky is falling when in actuality it's right where it's always been! I believe that DJI is just going to get trickier and trickier as a result of all of our conversations here on these forums!
This will be out of necessity rather than trying to be controlling. They don't want people going around messing with drones and creating the chaotic scenarios that most anti-droners would have us believe drones are going to be used for.
So typically in my experience so far with the updates I have seen pretty much nothing but Improvement they may have been a few little glitches along the way but all were easily fixable. So going forward I will just follow the rules and do the updates and enjoy my flying time!

It seems to me that all this talk about ways to thwart the upgrade or update process for firmware kind of defeats the purpose of why there are firmware upgrades in the first place. I have been updating all along since I got my mavic about 9 months ago and I've gone through several and so far each one has been fine! All the talk about limiting your machine and everything else has not panned out at all! I am not sure why there is so much panic because typically firmware upgrades are meant to be an improvement rather than a limitation I think there are a lot of chicken littles going on out there saying the sky is falling when in actuality it's right where it's always been! I believe that DJI is just going to get trickier and trickier as a result of all of our conversations here on these forums!
This will be out of necessity rather than trying to be controlling. They don't want people going around messing with drones and creating the chaotic scenarios that most anti-droners would have us believe drones are going to be used for.
So typically in my experience so far with the updates I have seen pretty much nothing but Improvement they may have been a few little glitches along the way but all were easily fixable. So going forward I will just follow the rules and do the updates and enjoy my flying time!

So you are saying if I upgrade from .400 to the latest firmware I’ll have no additional restrictions placed on my flying in any way? I’ll update or not based on your response.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2