DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Firmware A Mess for Me..

Try the RC Pro to see if it fares any better. It has 4x the power output and better coding. Fly app is different on each of the two RC’s. That will help trouble shoot the issue.

You must be really hard on your batteries. Are you flying in Sports mode? Are you starting from 100% or only 96%? What percent battery do you land at? What’s the wind speed like?

Where did you hear that the DJI RC turns off WiFi once flight begins? I don‘t think the RC Pro does that. It has to stay connected to WiFi during the entire flight to keep updating the map as you fly.
The Pro cant stay connected to WiFi in the field. GPS is doing the map update. You may have just miss typed WiFi

• Haha
Reactions: Ex Coelis
I usually land at least 20% and yes I use Sport mode a lot and I understand that eats battery. With that said, a BRAND NEW BATTERY in no wind and no sports mode still doesn't yield me 43 minutes. Wondering how the new Classic gets 46 minutes....

Apparently, for maximum flight time, 20mph is the sweet spot for the Mavic 3, while maximum distance is achieved at a much faster speed like 32mph, like on most prior DJI aircraft when used for long distance flying.
Theory and Practice are not the same. Let’s talk of real flights. M3 and MA2 since M3C no data or real world flights yet. But M3 and M3C same published performance.

Yes DJI publishes max performance, but from clinical “sterile environment” conditions. Far as we know those were done via math and theory and not in a perfect sub-sea level warehouse low enough for the aerial flight to be up at seal level. In China. Riiiight.

(Looped LOS flights below. Not radio ranging.)
I flew 28.3KM (17.6 miles) in 33 minutes at 4600 MSL with my M3. Landed at 5% battery. Maybe could squeeze out a bit more at a higher altitude.
I flew 11.5 miles in 28 minutes at 6400 MSL with my former MA2. Landed at 5% battery. DJI does claim that 18.5KM (11.5 mi) is the max distance that a MA2 can fly. I was at high altitude for this MA2 record so that probably allowed me to achieve that. I have asked on several forums and no one else has flown 11.5 miles on a MA2 from a single battery flight. Still searching for another.
Yes I saved the full profile flight and data on these. Ask if you want them.
Yes a long list of contributive factors that could fill a whole new Forum.
And a long list of experienced methods I use to get max flown distances.
46 minutes on a M3? I would like to see it, and offer praise and encouragement for it, and share techniques.
A guy in HI did do a M3 flight 8.9 miles straight out BVLOS across his island to over the ocean and straight back. And landed way below cooked 0% battery to do it. And other max flights across ocean to another island on different craft. Look up Dustin Dunnill on Youtube for that full video flight.
I plan to work on longer M3 flights soon.

Safe Flying,
KI5RLL
Apparently, for maximum flight time, 20mph is the sweet spot for the Mavic 3, while maximum distance is achieved at a much faster speed like 32mph, like on most prior DJI aircraft when used for long distance flying.

Attachments

• 9212CAEA-57E4-4062-A851-586DA91C699C.jpeg
    9212CAEA-57E4-4062-A851-586DA91C699C.jpeg
    241.9 KB · Views: 9
I think this firmware got more bugs. Some options are suddenly gone out of the menu. Hope DJI will bring out a fix urgently, what also fixes the database error.

I think this firmware got more bugs. Some options are suddenly gone out of the menu. Hope DJI will bring out a fix urgently, what also fixes the database error.
Agreed. I just read and confirmed that you can no longer control the landing light as the on-off-auto toggle is gone. Also, it appears you cannot disable the lighting led's while capturing as that toggle is gone.

Reactions: KI5RLL
The Pro cant stay connected to WiFi in the field. GPS is doing the map update. You may have just miss typed WiFi
Sure it can. Just need to hot spot it to your phone for WiFi. RC Pro will stay connected to WiFi and update the maps as you fly. It is only the DJI RC's access to WiFi which disconnects from WiFi upon launch.

Reactions: mphill47
Theory and Practice are not the same. Let’s talk of real flights. M3 and MA2 since M3C no data or real world flights yet. But M3 and M3C same published performance.

Yes DJI publishes max performance, but from clinical “sterile environment” conditions. Far as we know those were done via math and theory and not in a perfect sub-sea level warehouse low enough for the aerial flight to be up at seal level. In China. Riiiight.

(Looped LOS flights below. Not radio ranging.)
I flew 28.3KM (17.6 miles) in 33 minutes at 4600 MSL with my M3. Landed at 5% battery. Maybe could squeeze out a bit more at a higher altitude.
I flew 11.5 miles in 28 minutes at 6400 MSL with my former MA2. Landed at 5% battery. DJI does claim that 18.5KM (11.5 mi) is the max distance that a MA2 can fly. I was at high altitude for this MA2 record so that probably allowed me to achieve that. I have asked on several forums and no one else has flown 11.5 miles on a MA2 from a single battery flight. Still searching for another.
Yes I saved the full profile flight and data on these. Ask if you want them.
Yes a long list of contributive factors that could fill a whole new Forum.
And a long list of experienced methods I use to get max flown distances.
46 minutes on a M3? I would like to see it, and offer praise and encouragement for it, and share techniques.
A guy in HI did do a M3 flight 8.9 miles straight out BVLOS across his island to over the ocean and straight back. And landed way below cooked 0% battery to do it. And other max flights across ocean to another island on different craft. Look up Dustin Dunnill on Youtube for that full video flight.
I plan to work on longer M3 flights soon.

Safe Flying,
KI5RLL
Not sure what your point is. I was supplying the exact criteria that DJI used for their advertised maximum flight time of 46 minutes, supplied in their footnote on their website. It is unrealistic for anyone to expect to achieve those maximum flight times. Zero wind is rare, most don't fly at sea level, and very few people are willing to fly a battery from 100% to 0%, and flying at a continuous 20mph is boring. However, trying to replicate them would best be done in a continuous orbit around the pilot at sea level at 20mph in zero wind, not on any long distance flight.

Mavic 3 Classic is identical to the Mavic 3 in every way except for the missing 7x telephoto camera. Weight is unchanged at 895g. Flight time is also unchanged.

My real life flight times for the Mavic 3 at a continuous 32mph at sea level from 100% to 5% are roughly 34 minutes. For the Mavic 2 Pro it is 23 minutes, which DJI advertises at 31 minutes of flight time.
Mavic 2 = 23/31 = .74
Mavic 3 =34/46 = .74
Exact same ratio.
For my style of flying, I achieve 74% of DJI's advertised flight time.

I also have so called "long distance" flights. However, these are not range tests.
Merely flights where the total distance flown was the longest.
14 mile total flights with the Mavic 3 are no problem.

DCAB8140-E0ED-4449-9DEA-5C319652023E.jpeg

38 minute total flights during nearby hovering for 360° panos with the Mavic 3 are also possible.

Optimizing total flight distance results in about 10% shorter total flight time.

01F5192F-4301-4035-954D-B4A3E298BE2E.jpeg

Reactions: KI5RLL
I flew again today using the DJI RC Pro with NO ISSUES.
Terrific! Glad my suggestion worked! Sounds like it is strictly a DJI RC issue, which should come as no surprise. DJI RC is crippled hardware and software, compared to the venerable RC Pro. DJI RC is a poor man's RC Pro, intended for a poor man's Mavic 3, the Mavic 3 Classic! You get what you pay for! They'll eventually figure it out, but no reason to be their beta tester, when you already have the RC Pro! Happy flying!

Reactions: bkushner
To no one in particular, and not necessarily connected to this post but generally, I’m VERY sorry but something that costs us this much hard earned money shouldn’t be causing us all this much grief !!!
I can get MORE enjoyment and peace of mind flying my $200 dollar MJX Bugs.
Granted, NOT as much tech but WAY less frustration.
Just MY rant and views and sticking to it.

Agreed. I just read and confirmed that you can no longer control the landing light as the on-off-auto toggle is gone. Also, it appears you cannot disable the lighting led's while capturing as that toggle is gone.
Confirmed in what country? Here in the USA I have not lost those functions when I installed the new Firmware on my Mavic 3. At least I have not lost those functions using my DJI RC, I can’t speak to the Pro controller.

Confirmed in what country? Here in the USA I have not lost those functions when I installed the new Firmware on my Mavic 3. At least I have not lost those functions using my DJI RC, I can’t speak to the Pro controller.
No because usa does not have the C1 rules. In europe we have. but not so fast. For the people who need it, it could be usefull from 2024.

On my Mini Pro the controller says turning off WiFi to prevent interference after take off. I think it means the Wifi between the controller and the internet connection with my router or other source of the internet.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d