DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Firmware A Mess for Me..

bkushner

Reactions
Updated the Mavic 3 Firmware and the DJI RC. Wanted to try out the Night Mode so I headed to Center City Philly to fly. Several anomalies and problems I've never encountered..

1. Around 7 minutes into flight I get this: Remote ID error. Connect to network to obtain mobile device location. Flying without broadcasting required remote ID messages may violate local regulations (Code: 1B080001).; Ambient light too low. Vision system and obstacle sensing unavailable. Fly with caution (Code: 1A420BC1).
Well as you know the DJI RC turns off WIFI once the flight begins so I'm not sure how I connect to network.

2. Around 21 minutes my screen grays out and I can't see anything. I exit out of the window a couple times and come back into DJI fly finally I get the screen back. At this point the drone says PREPARING FOR TAKE OFF when Im at 800 feet and starts flying erratically.

3. Finally gain control of drone and start heading home and I get the message WIDE ANGLE LENS IN USE.....well don't have a wide angle lens so not sure what's up with that. Made it back and landed without further incident.

Here is my flight log - DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

• Wow
Reactions: Rchawks
21 minutes is 3 minutes longer than your Mavic 3 average flight, so it must have assumed you had landed in between! LOL!

Lucky you recovered in the dark!

Seriously, that’s some buggy code!
However, it‘s news to me that the DJI RC turns off WiFi once flight begins.

Hopefully, some of these issues are limited to the new DJI RC that was just made compatible, instead of in common with the RC Pro, which was designed for the Mavic 3 from the beginning last December.

21 minutes is 3 minutes longer than your Mavic 3 average flight, so it must have assumed you had landed in between! LOL!

Lucky you recovered in the dark!

Seriously, that’s some buggy code!
However, it‘s news to me that the DJI RC turns off WiFi once flight begins.

Hopefully, some of these issues are limited to the new DJI RC that was just made compatible, instead of in common with the RC Pro, which was designed for the Mavic 3 from the beginning last December.
I've flown with the DJI RC for months now with no issues. I have the PRO too...As for my long flight that's a good one. That's a BRAND NEW battery... :)

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Updated the Mavic 3 Firmware and the DJI RC. Wanted to try out the Night Mode so I headed to Center City Philly to fly. Several anomalies and problems I've never encountered..

1. Around 7 minutes into flight I get this: Remote ID error. Connect to network to obtain mobile device location. Flying without broadcasting required remote ID messages may violate local regulations (Code: 1B080001).; Ambient light too low. Vision system and obstacle sensing unavailable. Fly with caution (Code: 1A420BC1).
Well as you know the DJI RC turns off WIFI once the flight begins so I'm not sure how I connect to network.

2. Around 21 minutes my screen grays out and I can't see anything. I exit out of the window a couple times and come back into DJI fly finally I get the screen back. At this point the drone says PREPARING FOR TAKE OFF when Im at 800 feet and starts flying erratically.

3. Finally gain control of drone and start heading home and I get the message WIDE ANGLE LENS IN USE.....well don't have a wide angle lens so not sure what's up with that. Made it back and landed without further incident.

Here is my flight log - DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
Sorry to hear. Not good!
RID not even required until 9-23-23. An annoying error as it sits dormant until FAA full requirement to be flying it.
You are legal now without it while Mavic and FAA 1. Fix Bugs 2. Fix compatibilities 3. Get everyone onboard. We are the guinea pigs.
Yours RID error is first I have heard of that on new FW. A lot of WiFi in the Philly metro. Hard to conclude interference there, or maybe not.
These Mavics flip between the 2.4 And 5.8 Ghz freqs. Yours is on automatic? RID uses that also. I don‘t know how far ahead they thought about RID transmit on one or the other. And if it can freq shift fast enough itself. Or if it always stays on one. Surely someone tried it out in field and not just in lab. Well, maybe not.

Maybe a few minor issues with the FW download. 408MB is a lot of data and room for even a tiny code error.
In the next 24 hours to a week a few million people will be figuring this huge implementation out.

Safe Flying,
KI5RLL

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I've flown with the DJI RC for months now with no issues. I have the PRO too...As for my long flight that's a good one. That's a BRAND NEW battery... :)
Try the RC Pro to see if it fares any better. It has 4x the power output and better coding. Fly app is different on each of the two RC’s. That will help trouble shoot the issue.

You must be really hard on your batteries. Are you flying in Sports mode? Are you starting from 100% or only 96%? What percent battery do you land at? What’s the wind speed like?

Where did you hear that the DJI RC turns off WiFi once flight begins? I don‘t think the RC Pro does that. It has to stay connected to WiFi during the entire flight to keep updating the map as you fly.

Try the RC Pro to see if it fares any better. It has 4x the power output and better coding. Fly app is different on each of the two RC’s. That will help trouble shoot the issue.

You must be really hard on your batteries. Are you flying in Sports mode? Are you starting from 100% or only 96%? What percent battery do you land at? What’s the wind speed like?

Where did you hear that the DJI RC turns off WiFi once flight begins? I don‘t think the RC Pro does that. It has to stay connected to WiFi during the entire flight to keep updating the map as you fly.
4x the power? better coding? different Fly app?

Most of my batteries are 70+ flights. This battery was new. I did not use Sports Mode here..Light wind. Started at 99% I believe..Usually I'm 100 or 96.

Sorry to hear. Not good!
RID not even required until 9-23-23. An annoying error as it sits dormant until FAA full requirement to be flying it.
You are legal now without it while Mavic and FAA 1. Fix Bugs 2. Fix compatibilities 3. Get everyone onboard. We are the guinea pigs.
Yours RID error is first I have heard of that on new FW. A lot of WiFi in the Philly metro. Hard to conclude interference there, or maybe not.
These Mavics flip between the 2.4 And 5.8 Ghz freqs. Yours is on automatic? RID uses that also. I don‘t know how far ahead they thought about RID transmit on one or the other. And if it can freq shift fast enough itself. Or if it always stays on one. Surely someone tried it out in field and not just in lab. Well, maybe not.

Maybe a few minor issues with the FW download. 408MB is a lot of data and room for even a tiny code error.
In the next 24 hours to a week a few million people will be figuring this huge implementation out.

Safe Flying,
KI5RLL
Yes auto on the signal. I fly this area almost everyday year in and year out and never have issues that aren't related to firmware.. HA.

Reactions: KI5RLL
Most of my batteries are 70+ flights. This battery was new. I did not use Sports Mode here..Light wind. Started at 99% I believe..Usually I'm 100 or 96.
What percent battery do you land at?
Do you normally use Sport mode?

Try the RC Pro to see if it is the DJI RC or the drone FW or some combination of both that is causing the problems.

Dji RC started turning wifi off after about 2 or 3 updates back, stupid of them to implement that

What percent battery do you land at?
Do you normally use Sport mode?

Try the RC Pro to see if it is the DJI RC or the drone FW or some combination of both that is causing the problems.
I usually land at least 20% and yes I use Sport mode a lot and I understand that eats battery. With that said, a BRAND NEW BATTERY in no wind and no sports mode still doesn't yield me 43 minutes. Wondering how the new Classic gets 46 minutes....

I usually land at least 20% and yes I use Sport mode a lot and I understand that eats battery. With that said, a BRAND NEW BATTERY in no wind and no sports mode still doesn't yield me 43 minutes. Wondering how the new Classic gets 46 minutes....
It's 46 minutes on both the Mavic 3 and the Classic. No difference.

The DJI footnote for 46 minutes states:

"Measured by Mavic 3/Mavic 3 Classic flying at a constant speed of 32.4 kph (20mph) in a windless environment at sea level until the battery reached 0%."

Reactions: bkushner
Dji RC started turning wifi off after about 2 or 3 updates back, stupid of them to implement that
Good to know. The RC Pro does not, as far as I know. It still maintains the WiFi throughout the flight to update the maps. That difference might explain the DJI RC Remote ID error message, if it assumes it is the RC Pro in the programming code!

Apparently, for maximum flight time, 20mph is the sweet spot for the Mavic 3, while maximum distance is achieved at a much faster speed like 32mph, like on most prior DJI aircraft when used for long distance flying.

Reactions: bkushner
Kind of surprising to hear people are still having problems this long after release.

I’m talking about months after release of the aircraft. It’s been around a year?

Reactions: Motho38
I’m talking about months after release of the aircraft. It’s been around a year?
Indeed it has, but every time new features are introduced with new FW, it always breaks something else. It's the nature of the beast. No good deed goes unpunished! We are the ultimate beta testers. LOL!

The only problems that currently exist are those introduced by the newest updates to the drone and simultaneously to all the controllers! What could possibly go wrong? HAH!

Those not updating aren't having any problems. It is stable.

Reactions: PAW
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d