DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New from New jersey

NotDronyDroneGuy

Reactions
Hey guys I’m considering getting a drone and i need help. I have only flown ”toy” drones like the ones you get from brooks tone before. Very cheap ones. The most expensive i had was the one you can get at apple i forget the name, but now you cant get it form them anymore. The drone didn’t fly well and didn’t connect to a phone well. I returned it. I recently saw the trailers for the Mavic mini. Only 599 (fly more combo) for a pretty good drone? Why not? What do you guys think? Also, what would happen if I flew it in colder weather, because up here in NJ, it gets cold in the winter. Thanks in advance

Just really depends on what you want to do.
Untill members here get theirs and post real reviews
i can’t say nothing on it.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Hey guys I’m considering getting a drone and i need help. I have only flown ”toy” drones like the ones you get from brooks tone before. Very cheap ones. The most expensive i had was the one you can get at apple i forget the name, but now you cant get it form them anymore. The drone didn’t fly well and didn’t connect to a phone well. I returned it. I recently saw the trailers for the Mavic mini. Only 599 (fly more combo) for a pretty good drone? Why not? What do you guys think? Also, what would happen if I flew it in colder weather, because up here in NJ, it gets cold in the winter. Thanks in advance
Hi and welcome to the forums. Where are you in NJ?

The Mavic Mini looks like a nice product for a beginner and even as a second drone for us seasoned veterans. The compact size and light weight will make it very nice for grab and go flying any time and any place you need it. It is limited in some of the picture modes but it depends on whether or not those options are important to you. As a beginner, also note that the Mavic Mini has no collision avoidance so you can easily crash it, if you are not careful.

Cold weather is not a problem as long as you keep your batteries warm right up until the moment you fly. I live right near you and I fly year round. Keep the batteries in your warm car or an inside jacket pocket right until you snap it into the drone and take off. Personally I try not to fly below freezing unless I absolutely need to. We don't get too many long stretches below 32 so it's not really an issue.

If you are interested in learning more, a personal lesson, or perhaps even a mint condition used drone please let me know. Once again welcome, and feel free to ask lots of questions! We are all here to help.

Hi and welcome to the forums. Where are you in NJ?

The Mavic Mini looks like a nice product for a beginner and even as a second drone for us seasoned veterans. The compact size and light weight will make it very nice for grab and go flying any time and any place you need it. It is limited in some of the picture modes but it depends on whether or not those options are important to you. As a beginner, also note that the Mavic Mini has no collision avoidance so you can easily crash it, if you are not careful.

Cold weather is not a problem as long as you keep your batteries warm right up until the moment you fly. I live right near you and I fly year round. Keep the batteries in your warm car or an inside jacket pocket right until you snap it into the drone and take off. Personally I try not to fly below freezing unless I absolutely need to. We don't get too many long stretches below 32 so it's not really an issue.

If you are interested in learning more, a personal lesson, or perhaps even a mint condition used drone please let me know. Once again welcome, and feel free to ask lots of questions! We are all here to help.
I’m in up north in Denville. Yeah I did notice there aren’t many sensors, two on the bottom I think are the only ones. One problem I’m worried about is it says it is WiFi connected or something? I might be wrong but if I’m not what does that mean?

I’m in up north in Denville. Yeah I did notice there aren’t many sensors, two on the bottom I think are the only ones. One problem I’m worried about is it says it is WiFi connected or something? I might be wrong but if I’m not what does that mean?
All drones need some method of transmission/communication between the remote controller and the drone itself. The lower end drones use simple WiFi or "enhanced" WiFi for this. While not as strong a signal as DJI's proprietary signals (Lightbridge or OcuSync), the WiFi connection works well. It is the same thing that you will see on the Spark and Mavic Air. All of them will get you well beyond visual line of sight so you'll have no issues.

Reactions: NotDronyDroneGuy
All drones need some method of transmission/communication between the remote controller and the drone itself. The lower end drones use simple WiFi or "enhanced" WiFi for this. While not as strong a signal as DJI's proprietary signals (Lightbridge or OcuSync), the WiFi connection works well. It is the same thing that you will see on the Spark and Mavic Air. All of them will get you well beyond visual line of sight so you'll have no issues.
Great thanks. Is the mini worth jt

Welcome to the forum! :)

I have only flown ”toy” drones like the ones you get from brooks tone before. Very cheap ones. The most expensive i had was the one you can get at apple i forget the name, but now you cant get it form them anymore. The drone didn’t fly well and didn’t connect to a phone well. I returned it.
I flown drones like these too (still have some). None fly like a DJI drone... not even remotely close. DJI drones are very easy to fly and are much more advanced.

connect to a phone well. I returned it. I recently saw the trailers for the Mavic mini. Only 599 (fly more combo) for a pretty good drone? Why not? What do you guys think? Also, what would happen if I flew it in colder weather, because up here in NJ, it gets cold in the winter. Thanks in advance
The Mavic Mini Fly More Combo is currently only $499 here in the DJI Store. Some other sellers currently have them marked up, so you might see some that are more expensive until the available stock exceeds the demand.

what would happen if I flew it in colder weather, because up here in NJ, it gets cold in the winter
I live pretty close to you (Harrisburg, PA), so our winters are probably very similar. The only issue I've ever had with flying in cold weather is keeping my fingers warm. Other than the battery depleting a little faster in colder temperatures, I've never had trouble flying any of my DJI drones.

One problem I’m worried about is it says it is WiFi connected or something?
I've never had any trouble flying my Spark and Mavic Air (both use Wi-Fi). You will likely only run into trouble if you're flying in a densely populated location where there is lots of other Wi-FI activity.

Welcome to the forum! :)

I flown drones like these too (still have some). None fly like a DJI drone... not even remotely close. DJI drones are very easy to fly and are much more advanced.

The Mavic Mini Fly More Combo is currently only $499 here in the DJI Store. Some other sellers currently have them marked up, so you might see some that are more expensive until the available stock exceeds the demand.

I live pretty close to you (Harrisburg, PA), so our winters are probably very similar. The only issue I've ever had with flying in cold weather is keeping my fingers warm. Other than the battery depleting a little faster in colder temperatures, I've never had trouble flying any of my DJI drones.

I've never had any trouble flying my Spark and Mavic Air (both use Wi-Fi). You will likely only run into trouble if you're flying in a densely populated location where there is lots of other Wi-FI activity.
Alright thanks. I’m definitely considering getting it now. I checked the final prices including accessories i would get and it would be $592 not including tax. I added into my cart the drone with fly more combo, the Mavic mini diy kit, SD card, and the refresh care. that still seems expensive to me. What do i get it i go with the air? Better camera and flight time i already know. What else?

You don't need the Fly More Kit, DJI Care Refresh, or other accessories to fly. Those items are of course optional and you only need to purchase them if you think you're going to need them.

You don't need the Fly More Kit, DJI Care Refresh, or other accessories to fly. Those items are of course optional and you only need to purchase them if you think you're going to need them.
Fly more kit seems to be a good deal...includes a lot of stuff. The care refresh is becaue since I’ve never flown good drones before, don’t want to crash it or anything. Probably wont get the diy kit then.

DJI drones are actually pretty hard to crash if you're flying in a wide open location that's free of all obstacles (and flying within VLOS of course). If you read through the crash stories, you'll see many people are crashing into some type of obstacle.

DJI drones are actually pretty hard to crash if you're flying in a wide open location that's free of all obstacles (and flying within VLOS of course). If you read through the crash stories, you'll see many people are crashing into some type of obstacle.
Oh ok thanks

Alright thanks. I’m definitely considering getting it now. I checked the final prices including accessories i would get and it would be $592 not including tax. I added into my cart the drone with fly more combo, the Mavic mini diy kit, SD card, and the refresh care. that still seems expensive to me. What do i get it i go with the air? Better camera and flight time i already know. What else?
With everything you are getting, $592 is not a lot of money for a high quality drone. I would skip the DIY kit, depending on how much that is. I do agree that the Fly More bundle is a good deal. Extra batteries are always good to have. SD cards are super cheap on Amazon if you shop around properly so watch out for other sites that sell at a premium.

Care Refresh is totally up to you. I have never purchased it for any of my drones and luckily I have never needed it. These are very solid, dependable and steady drones. However people can and do crash them all the time. As a total beginner, the peace of mind may help you fly more confidently. On the other side of the coin I have seen where the Care Refresh has made people fly more recklessly because they now have less at stake.

The Mavic Air does indeed have a better camera and capabilities. It does not however have a longer flight time. You would also be spending more for a MA. If you want to spend less than a Mavic Mini, you don't have many options unless you look in the used marketplace. A used Spark could save you money and be an excellent beginner drone. However remember that in most cases a used drone will not have Care Refresh. If you find one that does, the plan does carry over with the drone itself so you would get that protection.

Reactions: NotDronyDroneGuy

why not test flight the mini to be sure?

Make the hr drive to Flemington for out launch party

or
you can order w/ no premium (still have the combos left but not many)

FlyB4Ubuy-MavicMini-Banner.jpg

Welcome to the Forum NotDronyDroneGuy . . . the initial reviews look very promising. You can check out some of the early reviews on YouTube. Also, there is a separate Mavic Mini Discussion section found HERE for more info.

We are happy to have you!! Fly safe (whatever you choice).

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BentenL