DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New from San Diego

lowell216

Reactions
Hi everyone,

I'm Lowell and just started flying here in San Diego. It's my first time ever using a drone, but I picked up a Mini 2 this weekend. Although I have no baseline this thing seems pretty amazing and I've been having a lot of fun with it.

General question for those here. The hills behind my neighborhood are very open, but there are areas on the very edge of an altitude restricted area (150'). I file a LAANC to fly.

I'm also launching essentially from a bowl starting at 230m with hills and peaks near me around 500m.

If I launch from home, ascend the hill, and run into the altitude restricted area on the way to the peaks what will the drone do? From an AGL perspective I'm well below the restriction, but from the drone's perspective from launch / controller it's way over.

I'm worried it will descend and crash on the hillside. How does this work?

Thanks for the help!

Lowell

Hello from the Crossroads of America lowell216.

Nice to meet you Lowell. ?

Hopefully someone that has flown in restricted / unlocked areas can give an answer to your scenario.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Welcome to the forum! :)

If I launch from home, ascend the hill, and run into the altitude restricted area on the way to the peaks what will the drone do? From an AGL perspective I'm well below the restriction, but from the drone's perspective from launch / controller it's way over.
The drone only tracks the distance between the takeoff point and its current altitude. It'll stop ascending at whatever altitude restriction you set in DJI Fly.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy.

Please share your pictures, videos and knowledge about your drones.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum. We look forward your participation and your view of the world.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Hi everyone,

I'm Lowell and just started flying here in San Diego. It's my first time ever using a drone, but I picked up a Mini 2 this weekend. Although I have no baseline this thing seems pretty amazing and I've been having a lot of fun with it.

General question for those here. The hills behind my neighborhood are very open, but there are areas on the very edge of an altitude restricted area (150'). I file a LAANC to fly.

I'm also launching essentially from a bowl starting at 230m with hills and peaks near me around 500m.

I'm worried it will descend and crash on the hillside. How does this work?

Thanks for the help!

Lowell
Welcome to MavicPilots from Dayton Ohio USA! Fly safe and have fun!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78