DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New from Southern California

austinac

Reactions
Hello all
My name is Alex. Currently own a Mavic 2 Zoom and flying recreationally. Recently was issued a wide area COA to fly recreationally in entire airspace for my local airport (excluding zero grids) for the next 2 years.
Have plans in the further to take my Part 107 and get into real estate photography and aerial photogrammetry.
Look forward to learning a ton of new things.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Hello all
My name is Alex. Currently own a Mavic 2 Zoom and flying recreationally. Recently was issued a wide area COA to fly recreationally in entire airspace for my local airport (excluding zero grids) for the next 2 years.
Have plans in the further to take my Part 107 and get into real estate photography and aerial photogrammetry.
Look forward to learning a ton of new things.

Welcome Alex! Good luck with your professional endeavors. That's pretty cool.

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Welcome to the forum! :)

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
so, DOES it ever rain there ? ;)

Haha! Not really. We sure could use it for the fires though. You know how that is in Australia

Ha ha, no the correct answer is "It pours, man, it pours" ?
(Albert Hammond 1972, great song)

Would like to see it pour here across the country right now.

I always note and am concerned seeing your fires there, we have a fairly intense fire season coming here too for sure.
Early, as it's summer here Dec - Feb, and the east coast has many burning.

This is between roughly Sydney and Yeppoon QLD (Queensland) affected from coast to inland about 100 miles or so, that distance by the coast is about 930 miles and there are fires between, some covering huge areas.

Our fire seasons overlap, and there is great planning to share fire bomber resources between California and Australia.
We are leasing a large fire bomber from the US already, I think another 737 capable of dropping 15000lt of fire retardant has been arranged for QLD season.

Reactions: austinac
Welcome to the forum austinac (Alex) . . . as you are aware, we are fortunate to have an open airspace and (rich) environment. Plenty of places to fly. See you out there man . . .

Reactions: austinac
Ha ha, no the correct answer is "It pours, man, it pours" ?
(Albert Hammond 1972, great song)

Would like to see it pour here across the country right now.

I always note and am concerned seeing your fires there, we have a fairly intense fire season coming here too for sure.
Early, as it's summer here Dec - Feb, and the east coast has many burning.

This is between roughly Sydney and Yeppoon QLD (Queensland) affected from coast to inland about 100 miles or so, that distance by the coast is about 930 miles and there are fires between, some covering huge areas.

Our fire seasons overlap, and there is great planning to share fire bomber resources between California and Australia.
We are leasing a large fire bomber from the US already, I think another 737 capable of dropping 15000lt of fire retardant has been arranged for QLD season.
I am a firefighter here in California as well and it’s pretty impressive to see some of those huge planes making drops so close to the ground. Over mile long retardant drops a few 100 ft off the ground.
I have seen is years past the 2 countries sending each other firefighters to actual help too. Similar conditions with similar fire behavior.

To bring it back to the group, fire departments here in California have been utilizing UAVs to assist in wildfire suppression. Our department just launched a UAV program to assist in overwatch, thermal imaging, and hazmat monitoring. Pretty useless gadgets.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
thermal imaging

Very handy for post fire hotspots.

As a youngster I have fond memories of assisting the local fire brigade on grass fires, burn offs, in ground hydrant cleaning, my dad was in the local volunteer service in my home town.

Good on you for being part of the community and doing the fire fighting, be careful out there.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54