DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Guy! I don't want to be THAT guy....

Miller_Drone

Reactions
Hey Everyone! I'm new to the serious drones, got my Magic and been up a few times with it. I have to travel away from my backyard to fly. I'm really studying for the Part 107 cert.... should be ready this week. I'm a teacher by trade, but I'm really looking at doing videos and such for hire (moonlighting income)... mainly real estate, inside and around residential houses, business promotinals, that sort. I have two BIG questions I haven't found answers for yet...

1. What insurances do I need to carry, or anyone recommend an insurance company?

2. How do I post a flight plan and get flying clearances? I live on the south side of Houston, TX and inside class B airspace (just at the edge, but still inside the geofence). I have yet to be successful with the B4UFly app... It's all very confusing.

Can anyone advise?

Hey Everyone! I'm new to the serious drones, got my Magic and been up a few times with it. I have to travel away from my backyard to fly. I'm really studying for the Part 107 cert.... should be ready this week. I'm a teacher by trade, but I'm really looking at doing videos and such for hire (moonlighting income)... mainly real estate, inside and around residential houses, business promotinals, that sort. I have two BIG questions I haven't found answers for yet...

1. What insurances do I need to carry, or anyone recommend an insurance company?

2. How do I post a flight plan and get flying clearances? I live on the south side of Houston, TX and inside class B airspace (just at the edge, but still inside the geofence). I have yet to be successful with the B4UFly app... It's all very confusing.

Can anyone advise?
I use airmap app it works really well and is very helpful in letting you know where to fly

I appreciate your honesty, but by "successful" I mean the app won't post it, I get no confirmation whatsoever. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong.

If I'm not ready for it yet, that's fine. I want to be 100% sure that I pass it with plenty of wiggle room the first time. But I want to walk in knowing every angle... including a solid understanding of how the app is supposed to work after I complete a flight plan. I've read several instances where B4UFly is glitchy... AirMap seems much more user friendly, so thank you for that! Will it also post a flight plan with a confirmation response and approval?

No, no, and no. Go to the FAA website and read the current rules. The app will not give you clearance to fly in restricted space. It only tells you that you are in restricted space. I participate in a webinar (I have my 107) regarding the future of instant approval but it’s not here yet. There is a grid program that each airport director is loading into the system. I met with my director and got a link to my local grid. It essentially plots 100, 200, 300, 400 ft areas around every airport in a grid system. Even though you can find these maps, they are not live either! In B airspace you are in another ballgame altogether. Go visit your airport director and find out what his rules are while we are in flex.

So in summary,

1. Go visit your local airport director
2. Go to the FAA UAS site. Read it, bookmark it, and check it often for updates. Eventually we will be able to stand at a desired flight location, request a flight in the app, and fly immediatelywithin the grid system. It’s not up and running. I have to call my airport for any flight within 5 miles even though my DJI Mavic Air unlocks at 1 1/2 miles out.

Thank you! I know Class B is a different beast. As I've said, I want to make sure I know the rules and follow them to the letter... trying to be as safe as possible.

Currently when I'm out practicing, I'm in very open areas, outside large airspace areas, and I do call in to verify that I'm not interfering. Some areas in Houston have many overlapping airspace, so it's cumbersome to call 10 and 12 ATCers. Please be patient with me, I am doing my best to learn fast.

The airspace questions on the test are tough. Being a licensed pilot my test was much simpler but I have read others struggle with the sectional and airspace portion of the test. You seem to have a grasp of it so hang in there. Maybe ask some airspace questions in the regional group on this forum.

When outside 5 miles, fly all you want. I live in South Lake Tahoe in a cluster of national forest, national parks, and an airport that covers the whole town so consider yourself lucky!

Reactions: ToddR
The airspace questions on the test are tough. Being a licensed pilot my test was much simpler but I have read others struggle with the sectional and airspace portion of the test. You seem to have a grasp of it so hang in there. Maybe ask some airspace questions in the regional group on this forum.

When outside 5 miles, fly all you want. I live in South Lake Tahoe in a cluster of national forest, national parks, and an airport that covers the whole town so consider yourself lucky!
What is the rule with regards to heliports? On airmaps sometimes I see multiple heliports and do not notify them becaude there are so many (this has only ever happened once). I just called the local airport and informed them since I was within 5 miles and if I ever heard a helicopter in the distance I double checked my height and made sure to stay extra low.

Hey Everyone! I'm new to the serious drones, got my Magic and been up a few times with it. I have to travel away from my backyard to fly. I'm really studying for the Part 107 cert...Can anyone advise?
You need
FAA Part 107 Exam
FAA 107 cheat sheets
FAA 107 Test Study Book

You buy the book and cram or memorize all the info and then take the FAA test

It is just like A&P exam it is a cheat sheet book with all the questions and all the answers written down. Then just review memorize the entire test questions and answers.
This is not a cheat or something that is illegal. It is how it is done on all government test.
Study Book is updated each year for any new FAA questions.

Last edited:
You need
FAA Part 107 Exam
FAA 107 cheat sheet
FAA 107 Test Study

You buy the book and cram or memorize all the info and then take the FAA test

It is just like A&P exam it is a cheat sheet book with all the questions and all the answers written down. Then just memorized the entire test questions and answers.
It is updated each year for any new FAA questions.
I would never spend money on the test aside from the $150 fee. I have talked to over 100 people online and the average score I've heard has been around 93%. EVERYBODY I have talked to says it's extremely difficult and yet I've still never heard of anyone even getting in the 80's. Not saying it's impossible, but why spend more money on a test you only need a 70 to pass?

Can anyone advise?

Hmmm. I'm not going to even go there. Yes, you might pass the test (or maybe you have already), however, once certified, your realization of safety, responsibility and there's-much-more-to-this ought to compel you to reach out to other local pilots...in person. Partnering is powerful as well as important. One good reason to invest in a course or beginner group is to begin establishing relationships with those with the same questions. Your group research will uncover resources and connections you will want to save (probably in a data base) so you do not have to reinvent the wheel each time you apply for a waiver, etc. Just my 2 cents.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31