DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New guy with questions

USAFRet

Reactions
Hi, new guy here.

Currently flying a HolyStone HS720E. Its 'ok', but looking to get an Air2S.

BUT, some questions first

1. DJI Fly. I use an Amazon Fire HD 8 with the HolyStone, and cannot seem to get the DJI app installed on this.
2. DJI geofencing. How strict is this? I live right at the border of the airport airspace and a USAF base space. AirMap and B4uFly both show this as up to 400 feet. But as it is Class D (airport), a few hundred yards east is then the base airspace. Do I need to get auth from the airport or the base, even when flying low altitude in my backyard?
3. Smart Controller. Is it as good as it looks? Amazon has the Air2S package for $1750 incl the controller. I know 'worth' is something only the actual person can determine, but is it worth the extra $500?

Thanks guy and gals.

Reactions: GFields
I’m not the airspace expert, so can’t help there. Lucky for me, I’m not in an area that presents those types of issues.
The smart controller is well worth the extra$$$. It is Android based if that matters.

For instance, I live right at the point of the arrow, within the Class D of the local airport.
Will the DJI Fly prevent me from leaving the ground without specific authorization?

(this from AirMap.com)
flyzone.png

answer to #2 is yes, you need authorization, which is not a problem. I am in the same situation in class D airspace here in Wisconsin

For instance, I live right at the point of the arrow, within the Class D of the local airport.
Will the DJI Fly prevent me from leaving the ground without specific authorization?
You can check where it's legal to fly using the various B4youfly, Airmap, etc.

But if you want to know where DJI's geofence system will prevent you from flying, you should check the map within the DJI Fly app, or on their website here: www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map

Reactions: MS Coast
Hi, new guy here.

1. DJI Fly. I use an Amazon Fire HD 8 with the HolyStone, and cannot seem to get the DJI app installed on this.
2. DJI geofencing. How strict is this? I live right at the border of the airport airspace and a USAF base space. AirMap and B4uFly both show this as up to 400 feet. But as it is Class D (airport), a few hundred yards east is then the base airspace. Do I need to get auth from the airport or the base, even when flying low altitude in my backyard?
3. Smart Controller. Is it as good as it looks? Amazon has the Air2S package for $1750 incl the controller. I know 'worth' is something only the actual person can determine, but is it worth the extra $500?

Thanks guy and gals.
I use the Triplek Tablet which is Android and the DJI Fly app works fine.
You can check the area you plan to fly to on DJI's flysafe website for any flight restrictions
I own the Air 2s and love it. In fact, it has become my go to drone.

You can check where it's legal to fly using the various B4youfly, Airmap, etc.

But if you want to know where DJI's geofence system will prevent you from flying, you should check the map within the DJI Fly app, or on their website here: www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map
Thanks, I've seen that and bookmarked.

Mainly, I was looking to see if DJI would prevent me from doing a lap of my house at 20 feet altitude.
It appears not, for my exact location.

Now, pretty much my last hurdle is getting the DJI Fly installed on the Fire HD.
Or, stump up the extra for the Smart Controller.

Perfect. Sounds like you have it under control.

Just so you realize that DJI's maps frequently don't correspond to legal reality. Sometimes DJI says you're fine to fly here, when that's not actually the case. Other times the FAA maps say you're safe to fly, then DJI's geofence disagrees and prevents you from taking off. It's always best to check BOTH sources before travelling somewhere only to discover you can't takeoff.

• Love
Reactions: BigAl07
Perfect. Sounds like you have it under control.

Just so you realize that DJI's maps frequently don't correspond to legal reality. Sometimes DJI says you're fine to fly here, when that's not actually the case. Other times the FAA maps say you're safe to fly, then DJI's geofence disagrees and prevents you from taking off. It's always best to check BOTH sources before travelling somewhere only to discover you can't takeoff.
Now....the Air 2S or wait for the Mini 3? :eek:

We'll see what shakes out in a couple weeks.

Mainly, I was looking to see if DJI would prevent me from doing a lap of my house at 20 feet altitude.
It appears not, for my exact location.

Now, pretty much my last hurdle is getting the DJI Fly installed on the Fire HD.
Or, stump up the extra for the Smart Controller.
There was a thread here where someone reported success with the Fly App on a Kindle Fire. You might try a search.

If the Fire doesn't work out, consider another more powerful tablet instead of the higher priced DJI controller. I'm using a 10.5" Samsung tablet and I really like the larger screen.

Hi, new guy here.

Thanks guy and gals.
I love the RC Pro I have with my Air 2S. Really bright, lag free screen and having the DJI Fly app built in means it's just one less hassle to worry about. Just my opinion, of course.

Reactions: ExtremeElementz
Hi, new guy here.

Thanks guy and gals

Have you unlocked or jailbroken your Fire Tablet? I think this is required to load stuff Amazon doesn't officially support (like DJI Fly). The Fire tablet runs a modified version of Android. For example, you don't have the Google Play Store on the tablet out of the box.

That being said, you want to get the Fly app directly from the DJI website, not the Play store. The app requires a 64-bit processor which I think your Fire tablet has. Not sure you can load it on the tablet running the original Amazon locked-down OS.

I jailbroke an older Fire tablet but can't run Fly because it is and older processor. But I am able to load compatible apps from the Play store.

Have you unlocked or jailbroken your Fire Tablet? I think this is required to load stuff Amazon doesn't officially support (like DJI Fly). The Fire tablet runs a modified version of Android. For example, you don't have the Google Play Store on the tablet out of the box.

That being said, you want to get the Fly app directly from the DJI website, not the Play store. The app requires a 64-bit processor which I think your Fire tablet has. Not sure you can load it on the tablet running the original Amazon locked-down OS.

I jailbroke an older Fire tablet but can't run Fly because it is and older processor. But I am able to load compatible apps from the Play store.
Yes, unlocked.
That's how I got the HolyStone OpheliaGo application to install. No problem.

The DJI Fly starts the install, gets about 80%, then it quits and "Application not installed" (or words to that effect)

Hey USAFRet,

If your arrow on the DJI Flysafe map is fairly accurate, I live about 3 miles North East of you in Tabb, Your arrow indicates (if accurate…) you live in the Newport News City Center area…

Your Username hints at Retired Air Force, I am Retired Air Force, so possibly we speak the same language (former 3CXXX).

When I first joined this web site, I also posted my issues with Geo Fencing. In it, you can see the dilemma I too face to fly…

"Droning in Hampton Roads, Virginia"

Droning in Hampton Roads, Virginia

I have a Mini 2 and I use a Samsung Galaxy Tablet S2 to run the Fly App.

From what I have read of your posting, you can't run the Fly App. There are various reasons this may not work…

Here is a posting I wrote for another member, it might explain the issues you are facing. First and foremost, your Fire tablet is not Android nor IOS and Amazon is not in the market to share their resources.

If you decide to go with another device, be it Android or IOS, New or Used (ebay…), here is a web site to peruse while you consider your choices. Of course, if you decide to go with the Smart Controller, then this issue is all a moot point.

"Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO & DJI Fly (Updated Daily)"

Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO & DJI Fly (Updated Daily) | Phantom Help

If you continue to log onto this site, I'll be happy to offer advice on flying in the Hampton Roads area.

My User Name is LoudThunder and you can search on my other posting…

Good Luck and Happy Droning…

LT

If the Fire doesn't work for you and you're forced to look for an alternative, I'd recommend the Tripltek Pro 8" tablet. It costs a whole bunch but it really works well -- very bright, long battery life, exceptionally rugged. It's larger and brighter than the DJI controllers with onboard screens. Those DJI controllers are very nice too, but the Tripltek is an option worth considering.

As noted earlier, on an Android device (like Tripltek), you need to download DJI Fly from the DJI website, not the Play Store. Once downloaded to your device, use a web browser, such as Chrome, to install it. It's a bit fumbly but once it's installed it all works well.

Yes, unlocked.
That's how I got the HolyStone OpheliaGo application to install. No problem.

The DJI Fly starts the install, gets about 80%, then it quits and "Application not installed" (or words to that effect)
That suggests to me your tablet isn't running in 64bit.
DJIFLY only runs on ARM64 architecture.
However Litchi will run on any device and is excellent. Not sure if it will support your intended AC though.

Just ordered a 7" Fire tablet. My wife's Fire is way too big. Since the 7" Fire has a browser, I'm hoping to go to the DJI Store, and grab the DJI Fly apk and install it. That worked for my Galaxy S7. So am I dreaming? Had to return the Avankyo S10 tablet. It is either a piece of junk or way over my head. Final straw was reading that to work with anything of a flying nature, it would have to be a S20 or above. At 73, I don't have that much time to experiment.
Ken

Just ordered a 7" Fire tablet. My wife's Fire is way too big. Since the 7" Fire has a browser, I'm hoping to go to the DJI Store, and grab the DJI Fly apk and install it. That worked for my Galaxy S7. So am I dreaming? Had to return the Avankyo S10 tablet. It is either a piece of junk or way over my head. Final straw was reading that to work with anything of a flying nature, it would have to be a S20 or above. At 73, I don't have that much time to experiment.
Ken
You will not be able to just grab the apk and install it on a Fire tablet. It runs a version of Android but it is "hidden underneath" the Fire app for reading, etc. As you will see when you get it, the Fire does not have the Google Play store app on it and it can't be installed as is, out of the box.

You will need to unlock/jailbreak the Fire tablet which will bring it closer to being a more "standard" Android tablet. I have an older Fire tablet which is unlocked but won't run the Fly app because it is only a 32-bit processor. I believe the newer Fire tablets are 64-bit which is required to run DJI Fly.

If you do unlock it, you may not be able to return it if it doesn't work for your purpose. $50 is cheap if it works. If not, you can still use it as originally designed plus load other apps a locked Fire table can't.

Good luck and let us know how you make out...

I have the Air2 and the smart controller and the old white dji goggles and am quite happy with them.

I am not fond of the DJI altitude restriction as it is based on launch point, not point under the drone, so it can limit flights on steep terrain. Getting automated approval for most areas has been easy as long as you have internet when you request approval. The only thing I don't like about the Air2 is it's lack of "real" waypoints. It has a limited (5 point) hyperlapse only waypoints which is ok, but I really like the smooth waypoints with more points.

The smart controller is quite bright and faster to get flying than using a tablet and the Air2 controller. It also has HDMI out allowing goggle use - which is great in very bright conditions. I find it easier to do controller screen recordings with the smart controller.

That suggests to me your tablet isn't running in 64bit.
DJIFLY only runs on ARM64 architecture.
However Litchi will run on any device and is excellent. Not sure if it will support your intended AC though.
It seems you are correct. The Fire HD 8 is a 32bit device. Why did they do this? FSM only knows.
That puts a large damper on a potential Air 2S....:(

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929