DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Insta360 for Mav2 but not 3 ! Send feedback!

akdrone

Premium Pilot
Reactions
If you use the Insta360 platform you probably know there is a new adapter for the 2s. They were probably in development before the 3 came out . I would LOVE a 360 on my M3 so I sent feedback to Insta360 and invite you to do the same if you are a 360 fan.

If you use the Insta360 platform you probably know there is a new adapter for the 2s. They were probably in development before the 3 came out . I would LOVE a 360 on my M3 so I sent feedback to Insta360 and invite you to do the same if you are a 360 fan.
Have a link to information about the adapter?

Not an adapter like the previous attempt on MP & M2P.
This is a whole camera kit... comes one way.

Previous attempt was basically junk... poor jello video, no GPS, and adapter kit wasn't much less than this whole camera kit.

Haven't seen any one comment on video problems yet, may be a nice setup. Anxiously purchased 1st kit, regretted when problems not addressed.. I'll wait a bit this time.

Have a link to information about the adapter?
I watched the entire tape and video. Very weird video, with super gimmicky stuff. Not for me. I just love simplicity To much going on here. Enjoy it for what it is, but the average Joe, not really my cup of tea.

Dale

I was planning to wait, since being burnt on the 1st version and video quality. But after reviewing multiple YouTube reviews.... it sounds like it's as expected and quality output.

I've ordered mine direct since other sites show "Pre Order".
Looking forward to trying it... looks useful for some purposes, especially after I discovered you can put 360's up on YouTube in 360 format.

Reactions: TheRock
I watched the entire tape and video. Very weird video, with super gimmicky stuff. Not for me. I just love simplicity To much going on here. Enjoy it for what it is, but the average Joe, not really my cup of tea.

Dale
Dale, I'd agree... first time I played with 360 editor was confusing and odd. But basically you can fly straight, then in Post Edit, can select any direction of view for a normal video. Exp: fly around a construction project... then either edit looking at side of structure or provide 360 and allow Client to pan around examining what they desire.

The 3 body may be too wide for this concept to work. They are kind of pushing it with the Air 2S. You need to be somewhat away from you subject to make the stitch line stay out of the photo/video. I love what you can do with 360 and it doesn't have to be gimmicky at all. Just use "natural view" and do some amazingly smooth pans. Anyway, I am anxious to get mine. Will post when I get some clips.

First generation using MP and M2P, and assembly of parts & cameras. The overall package was great, but practically everyone had "jello" video... and some mild stitching issues. I patiently waited for new firmware or new part to correct the problem... that never came. Insta360 just ignored & moved on, those that purchased had essentially wasted money.

The 2nd A2 generation hasn't received 1 complaint on jello and many are the same reviewers of 1st generation that called out the jello.

That to me signifies the 2nd Gen is functional and provides a great 360 tool that appears to do a super job removing craft & stitching.

I'd agree, the distance between cameras is pretty significant. The programming looks to have been created very well. Size difference between A2 and M3 is significant... that might be pushing the limits or possibly the M3 unit is still in development... I'd lean A2 Series will be only craft, and Insta360 is off to next project... 1 reason to retain the A2 series.

"Insta360 just ignored & moved on" - Yes, that was pretty irritating considering the investment and the safety problems the pilot/videographer had to overcome. INSTA360 is an innovative company and I have had many successes with their cameras and software/bag-o-tricks editing. People seem to want the next GoPro to not say GoPro but GoPro company still leads the way in reliability for small action cams. I think this Sphere gadget for the Air 2S will be amazingly successful. But Insta360 still remains a work in progress with the customers driving both the innovation and the failures. Roll the dice and have fun!!

Reactions: Dougcjohn
Got the Sphere. Yea, I tried mine with the leg extenders which totally eliminates any landing and take-off problems, but bits of them do show in the video. So this was a test run without leg extenders. It is pretty slick. I also used it 3 more times since this with great success. Battery time is fine on the Sphere for three flights around 15-17 minutes. Took it into the desktop app and editing was fine with hardly any notice of seam (can see it if you look hard when the editing turns back to the pier the last time here). Yes, I noticed it has audio, which surprised me. I am not sure what it is good for... maybe audio notes before or after the flight? In all, very happy. See it here: Piti Marine Preserve Observatory 360

Last edited:
I'd agree, nice kit! Looks great, well made!
I got mine a while back, but have only used it 1 day due to rains & winds.
It mounts on the A2S very clean, no issues in flight or GPS.

I hand launched it, and caught it. That in itself was a little new to me, I hadn't hand caught the A2S.
I was a little concerned for the lower lens in case it landed on it's own away from me so I installed one of the Sticky Lens protectors on the bottom. Note "Not Reading ahead..." I later noticed a little fuzzy join line that showed up often in the video. In the Desktop Software I found the Switch to turn on / off the sticky lens cover. When this is turned on you can see how it slightly modifies the video, but assumes you have Top & Bottom Lens Covers on... not just bottom.

After getting comfortable hand catching the A2S with 360 Package, I removed the bottom Sticky Lens Cover and the seam issue disappeared and not an issue. Lesson Learned... either use None or Both.

I flew a 6 story Construction building (8 story height, tall Courtroom Floors) about 65% up in height of building. My intent was to add the video to the Group's review, giving them the opportunity to scroll around: Up, Down, Sideways to allow them to view more than my normal video loops & photos.

Haven't passed it over to them yet, but I did examine.
The quality of the video looks better than the Insta360 R in sharpness when cropped.
Overall impressed with the 360 Sphere, night & day improvement over the M2P 1st Generation.

Note on Videos:
Using the Desktop Insta360 SW:
You can easily keyframe the track, view, crop, and special effects into a standard format video.
You can also perform the same adjustments and leave the 360 format available. I did find YouTube has a 360 section that you can use to provide the 360 view and Viewers can use their mouse to move around.

NOTE on Sticky Lens Covers:
The concern for the lens remains and once you take the Sticky Lens cover off, it's ruined.
On the Insta360 site, they sell Sticky Lens cover for R & RS. These are the SAME!
Their ship price is very high... and found the Sticky Lens Covers on B&H Photo.
I picked up a few sets, in case I needed to use some time.

Sticky Lens Covers:

Reader to extract files without PC:
Insta360 Desktop can read the SD Card, but plugging into iPad / iPhone can not unless you transfer wirelessly from Camera. This is extremely long & frustrating, and I found they now offer a Card Reader. You don't need to attach to camera, you can simply insert the MicroSD card into Reader and plug reader into iPad or iPhone for a direct fast transfer. They make 2 different Reader models based on R series and X2 series... you can use either one as a Reader.

I'd agree, nice kit! Looks great, well made!
I got mine a while back, but have only used it 1 day due to rains & winds.
It mounts on the A2S very clean, no issues in flight or GPS.

I hand launched it, and caught it. That in itself was a little new to me, I hadn't hand caught the A2S.
I was a little concerned for the lower lens in case it landed on it's own away from me so I installed one of the Sticky Lens protectors on the bottom. Note "Not Reading ahead..." I later noticed a little fuzzy join line that showed up often in the video. In the Desktop Software I found the Switch to turn on / off the sticky lens cover. When this is turned on you can see how it slightly modifies the video, but assumes you have Top & Bottom Lens Covers on... not just bottom.

After getting comfortable hand catching the A2S with 360 Package, I removed the bottom Sticky Lens Cover and the seam issue disappeared and not an issue. Lesson Learned... either use None or Both.

I flew a 6 story Construction building (8 story height, tall Courtroom Floors) about 65% up in height of building. My intent was to add the video to the Group's review, giving them the opportunity to scroll around: Up, Down, Sideways to allow them to view more than my normal video loops & photos.

Haven't passed it over to them yet, but I did examine.
The quality of the video looks better than the Insta360 R in sharpness when cropped.
Overall impressed with the 360 Sphere, night & day improvement over the M2P 1st Generation.

Note on Videos:
Using the Desktop Insta360 SW:
You can easily keyframe the track, view, crop, and special effects into a standard format video.
You can also perform the same adjustments and leave the 360 format available. I did find YouTube has a 360 section that you can use to provide the 360 view and Viewers can use their mouse to move around.

NOTE on Sticky Lens Covers:
The concern for the lens remains and once you take the Sticky Lens cover off, it's ruined.
On the Insta360 site, they sell Sticky Lens cover for R & RS. These are the SAME!
Their ship price is very high... and found the Sticky Lens Covers on B&H Photo.
I picked up a few sets, in case I needed to use some time.

Sticky Lens Covers:

Reader to extract files without PC:
Insta360 Desktop can read the SD Card, but plugging into iPad / iPhone can not unless you transfer wirelessly from Camera. This is extremely long & frustrating, and I found they now offer a Card Reader. You don't need to attach to camera, you can simply insert the MicroSD card into Reader and plug reader into iPad or iPhone for a direct fast transfer. They make 2 different Reader models based on R series and X2 series... you can use either one as a Reader.

Thanks for the great review and I agree with it. I also wondered about the lens covers, so thank you for that. I hadn't tried using them. I am taking off / landing on a staked down large landing pad that has a thick towel underneath for a soft landing. I have done the hand take-offs and landings in the past but aren't crazy about doing them. I also have both of those card readers and they work quite well with an iPad. I have an iPad set up for 360 editing and it is easy to edit with it or just bring the clips into the desktop editor using a card adapter.

Reactions: Dougcjohn
Has anyone heard any news if Insta360 will be producing a Insta360 Sphere for the Mavic 3
The M2P and M3 are close in size, adjustment in 360 SW and mount could likely accommodate.
I think it’s more targeted to popularity of craft, units sold… the M2P and A2S were probably the most popular… that could accommodate the extra payload weight. The M3 with now 6 variations (3 consumer, 3 enterprise) of models, I‘d assume a Insta360 kit is a good bet to appear next year. It might even be their best yet… longer landing struts and ability to carry larger & heavier payload.

I think the platform size & power may provide several 3rd party payloads to appear.

I have the A2S 360 kit and would gladly purchase a M3 360 kit.

The M2P and M3 are close in size, adjustment in 360 SW and mount could likely accommodate.
I think it’s more targeted to popularity of craft, units sold… the M2P and A2S were probably the most popular… that could accommodate the extra payload weight. The M3 with now 6 variations (3 consumer, 3 enterprise) of models, I‘d assume a Insta360 kit is a good bet to appear next year. It might even be their best yet… longer landing struts and ability to carry larger & heavier payload.

I think the platform size & power may provide several 3rd party payloads to appear.

I have the A2S 360 kit and would gladly purchase a M3 360 kit.
I am interested in getting one during the holidays but I heard it cuts off the GPS? Do you have any problems with your setup on your air2s?

I am interested in getting one during the holidays but I heard it cuts off the GPS? Do you have any problems with your setup on your air2s?
The GPS issue was with 1st version using the M2P.
The A2S kit does not have a GPS issue.
It flies fine, the oddity is the tske-off & landings… need to land on blanket or hand launch / catch since camera is much lower than landing gear. If you use extensions, they’ll be in view of camera.

Overall, the A2S kit is great!

Reactions: TommyGrimmer
I also have the M2P & MavicPro 360 camera body wrap frames… both have GPS issues. The M2P was indicated by Insta360 to not have GPS due to kit covering it. The MP was suppose to not loose GPS, but it still lost it too.

As stated above… the A2S works fine & with GPS.

Reactions: TommyGrimmer
I also have the M2P & MavicPro 360 camera body wrap frames… both have GPS issues. The M2P was indicated by Insta360 to not have GPS due to kit covering it. The MP was suppose to not loose GPS, but it still lost it too.

As stated above… the A2S works fine & with GPS.
Yes, I agree. I have had some great flights and got some nice 360 videos with the latest 360 Sphere set-up. If the M3 is wider, that could be an issue in designing or adapting it. I am sure the M3 is powerful enough to carry it. The trick is to get the 360 part right. I think they'd have to come up with a new one just for the M3.

Yes, I agree. I have had some great flights and got some nice 360 videos with the latest 360 Sphere set-up. If the M3 is wider, that could be an issue in designing or adapting it. I am sure the M3 is powerful enough to carry it. The trick is to get the 360 part right. I think they'd have to come up with a new one just for the M3.
I'd agree, the system: harness and camera mounts would need to be specifically designed for M3. The lenses may also need to be tweaked for additional thickness (height) of M3 craft.

The camera on both the M2P and A2S were from the 1RS camera. The original kit used a 1R camera that split. Great design, but end product wasn't very good and short lived.

Actually, I haven't seen any updates for the A2S kit either... either a rock solid setup or they've already moved on in design for the M3 kit.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zzombie