DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New iPhone 11 pro vs Crystalsky

roncille

Reactions
Been debating whether or not to get a Crystalsky monitor for my m2p (currently have way-to-dim iPad mini 3). Just saw new iPhone announcement with 11pro having 1200 nits, although it mentions in specs that it's 800 nits max brightness (typical) and 1200 nits max brightness (HDR). Not quite sure how the HDR spec translates to drone monitor usage. Regardless, it definitely seems to be a good candidate for a monitor in bright sunlight, especially the larger 6.5 screen. Was planning to upgrade my iPhone anyway. Thoughts?

Reactions: SOCOM12
I was eyeing those specs too. I usually fly with an 11" iPad Pro which is spec'd at 600 nits. It works pretty well. I imagine 800 to 1200 nits would look mighty fine!

HDR max brightness is an instantaneous peak and not anywhere near what can be sustained over long periods over the entire screen. Including all the other downsides of using a smartphone (intolerance to heat/cold, poor battery life, etc.) I personally would suggest sticking to Crystal Sky or better yet the SC. Just my $0.02.

I have the Smart Controller with 1000 nits and I have no problem viewing in sunlight. YMMV.

HDR max brightness is an instantaneous peak and not anywhere near what can be sustained over long periods over the entire screen. Including all the other downsides of using a smartphone (intolerance to heat/cold, poor battery life, etc.) I personally would suggest sticking to Crystal Sky or better yet the SC. Just my $0.02.

I have the Smart Controller with 1000 nits and I have no problem viewing in sunlight. YMMV.
Good points. Apparently, the battery lasts much longer in the 11. If I wasn't an iPhone user about to upgrade, it would be a much easier (and less expensive) decision. May just go ahead and try it out before purchasing CS. Thanks

Been debating whether or not to get a Crystalsky monitor for my m2p (currently have way-to-dim iPad mini 3). Just saw new iPhone announcement with 11pro having 1200 nits, although it mentions in specs that it's 800 nits max brightness (typical) and 1200 nits max brightness (HDR). Not quite sure how the HDR spec translates to drone monitor usage. Regardless, it definitely seems to be a good candidate for a monitor in bright sunlight, especially the larger 6.5 screen. Was planning to upgrade my iPhone anyway. Thoughts?
I have a CS... and own every iPhone up to this date... currently have XMax. Flying on the larger screen is much easier. In Arizona a screen hood is needed most of the time anyway for best visibility. The hood folds to be a screen protector when not in use.
Get the dedicated device if you can. It simplifies so many functions.

Reactions: MAVE (Little bird)
I have a CS... and own every iPhone up to this date... currently have XMax. Flying on the larger screen is much easier. In Arizona a screen hood is needed most of the time anyway for best visibility. The hood folds to be a screen protector when not in use.
Get the dedicated device if you can. It simplifies so many functions.
Thanks for the input. I had also debated about 7.85 size vs 5.5 since several had mentioned it being a bit cumbersome or top-heavy with M2P setup. Sounds like you don't have that issue. I currently have a Polar Pro Flightdeck mount for iPad mini that can also mount both Crystalsky sizes.

I was initially using a 6.4in phone with my Mavic 1 Pro which I was concerned would be underpowered for the Mavic 2 Pro as it would need a newer version of DJI Go 4 so started using a newer 5.7in phone instead. I found the screen frustratingly small after the larger phone and with a lack of decent 8in Android tablet options decided to try a 10in tablet and mount instead. I was initially concerned it would be too bulky as it did feel too heavy when using it the first few times but I've quickly got used to it and much prefer the larger screen now. I find it easier to frame shots and to use the interface which is quite cluttered with a lot of information around the screen and detailed options screens.

I have settled on the 5.5 CS on the Polar Pro Flight Deck with my MP1. Works well. As an aside, I’m using an iPhone 10 max with my Evo. In a bright sun the screen goes almost totally black. Did not have this problem with the 6 Plus. Not sure why this is happening or if same applies to the new 11 Max.
Bill Dunnuck

Reactions: gphinney
I pre-ordered my iPhone 11 Pro max yesterday for the same reason. I guess I’ll find out soon enough..?

Reactions: Starkey
CrystalSky works Great!
Phones are good when you first start, but not the best for many reasons listed by previous pilots here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dryocum
I agree with @Thomas B in that when it comes to the Monitor size does matter :). I use the CrystalSky Ultra 7.85 with all my drones. The sun is BRIGHT in Texas. With that said, you may do alright with the iPhone 11. The "only" downside to the CS is with 3rd party apps. I am forced to use my iPad mini 4 with a couple of companies I do work for, that have their own apps and they will not work on the CS. I was thinking of getting the iPad mini 5 as its brighter than the 4, but just haven't bit the bullet.

I agree with @Thomas B in that when it comes to the Monitor size does matter :). I use the CrystalSky Ultra 7.85 with all my drones. The sun is BRIGHT in Texas. With that said, you may do alright with the iPhone 11. The "only" downside to the CS is with 3rd party apps. I am forced to use my iPad mini 4 with a couple of companies I do work for, that have their own apps and they will not work on the CS. I was thinking of getting the iPad mini 5 as its brighter than the 4, but just haven't bit the bullet.

iPad mini 5 Brightness comes in at 500 nits

Reactions: GFields
iPad mini 5 Brightness comes in at 500 nits

Thanks, for the info. I had read that some time back. With the iPhone 11 coming in at 1200 nits that would be a better option if it wasn't so expensive lol.

Thanks, for the info. I had read that some time back. With the iPhone 11 coming in at 1200 nits that would be a better option if it wasn't so expensive lol.

As for the screen, you’re getting a 6.1-inch LCD one with a 828 x 1792 resolution on the iPhone 11, while the iPhone 11 Pro has a 5.8-inch 1125 x 2436 OLED display and the iPhone 11 Pro Max has a 6.5-inch 1242 x 2688 OLED.
The OLED screens are dubbed 'Super Retina XDR' and should be superior to the LCD one, and in all cases this is basically the same setup as the previous models – though there are improvements in the quality of the screen. For example, the iPhone 11 Pro and Pro Max have a 2 million-to-one contrast ratio and a maximum brightness of 1,200 nits.
The standard iPhone 11 can't quite match that, coming in at a 1400:1 contrast ratio and 625 nits.

taken from tech radar.com

Thanks for all the input. Good chance I'll end up with a CS in the near future to tackle the Texas sun. Glad to hear the 7.85 isn't too cumbersome or top heavy.

Considering they don’t go on sale til tomorrow...
I’m a retired Network Admin and worked for Apple for a few years. The way it works is you can pre-qualify your iPhone order online through Apple. Either through Apples store app or through their website. Most people who use this method of per-ordering or pre-qualifying are trying to avoid any problems that can occur. When Apple opens the online sales of their new iPhones. In the past many people had problems authorizing their phones through their phones carriers. This being part of Apples process would slow down Apple’s servers to a crawl on opening day. Even though I pre-qualified for my new iPhone. I still have to go to my Apple store app on the opening day of sales to press one button to complete my order. The good thing is my order will go right through instantly. Without the need of getting pre-approved through Apples upgrade process, carriers authorization and credit card authorization. Then I don’t have to sit there while thousands of people are trying to do the same thing at once. In fact my wife was pre-ordering her iPhone last night and AT&T’s server was having connection issues already authorizing her account information. Through Apple’s Apple store app. Phone carriers servers are usually the cause of server congestion.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AviewFromAbove_