DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New M2P with a few questions

JayJ03

Reactions
I just got my new drone on friday and have a few questions.

Is there a way to change the settings in the DJI GO 4 app without having to start up the drone?
Whats a good photo and video editing app to use? Saved photos as RAW files but I need a good app to edit them with first.
Saved the videos in h265 and dlog-m and only app I have right now to view is VLC. The videos seem a little jittery as well so not sure if that is just VLC or what. I just built my PC and its pretty powerful so I dont think that is it.

Sure I will have more questions later but that is it for now.

For video editing you might try out Davinci Resolve. Its free version does everything you will need.

Reactions: Richiab
For editing raw or jpg files the best other than Photoshop is likely Affinity Photo.

Affinity Photo does everything that Photoshop does at a fraction of the price. Pay $70 Canadian and no monthly fees. As someone who has taught Photoshop and Lightroom skills for years in our Professional Photography Program at Dawson College, I’m very impressed with Affinity. PC & Mac
NB

For editing raw or jpg files the best other than Photoshop is likely Affinity Photo.

Affinity Photo does everything that Photoshop does at a fraction of the price. Pay $70 Canadian and no monthly fees. As someone who has taught Photoshop and Lightroom skills for years in our Professional Photography Program at Dawson College, I’m very impressed with Affinity. PC & Mac
NB
Thanks for reminding me about Affinity! $50 US is quite a deal now! Getting tired of paying Adobe $120/year for Photoshop.

NB

Whats your recommendation for video?

Whats your recommendation for video?

I’ll have think about that as I do far more still photography than video. At work we use Adobe Premiere and After Effects Personally I prefer Sony Vegas Pro. But that’s a bit expensive. I’ll get back on the thread tonite with some thoughts.

As for ND filters, the only thing to look out for is a color cast. Yeah, some ND filters, especially some 4 stop and denser have a cast - can be corrected but test for it:

Take two shots of same scene, same approx. time. Add a white paper/card and a gray one to the scene. One shot with ND and one without. Change shutter speed to match exposures.

Straight out of camera with no manipulation, check the cards at 100% and see if you notice a color shift.

The more expensive ND filters should NOT show this flaw.
NB

Any certain kits they sell you like?
4 pack or 6 pack are the biggest bang for the buck. Take a look on the PP website.

NB
Trying to get away from Lightroom...I hate subscription services. How does Affinity handle RAW processing, specifically with the lens distortion of DNG files?

Reactions: PAW
I cancelled my Adobe Lightroom subscription some time ago and went back to my version 6 dvd. Already paid for. BHPhoto still has them for 160 bucks US.

Will definately have to check out Affinity...

Another plus for DaVinci Resolve as it does most everything but does need a powerful computer and has a steep learning curve.

Filmora is good for more basic video stuff.

I have the PolarPro Cinema Series ND/NDPL filters and they have very little color casting to them.
8, 16, 32 is a good basic set. A 64 may be needed for a bright snowy scene.
ND/PL's are useful mostly for photography and are usually set for each shot on the ground.

Last edited:
Reactions: hactick
I cancelled my Adobe Lightroom subscription some time ago and went back to my version 6 dvd. Already paid for. BHPhoto still has them for 160 bucks US.

Will definately have to check out Affinity...

Another plus for DaVinci Resolve as it does most everything but does need a powerful computer and has a steep learning curve.

Filmora is good for more basic video stuff.

I have the PolarPro Cinema Series ND/NDPL filters and they have very little color casting to them.
8, 16, 32 is a good basic set. A 64 may be needed for a bright snowy scene.
ND/PL's are useful mostly for photography and are usually set for each shot on the ground.
I use DaVinci Resolve... it's amazing.

Is there a way to change the settings in the DJI GO 4 app without having to start up the drone?
Not that I am aware of. You have to connect and then change the settings.

Whats a good photo and video editing app to use? Saved photos as RAW files but I need a good app to edit them with first.
Lightroom and Photoshop is what I use. Works great. Yes always use RAW

Saved the videos in h265 and dlog-m and only app I have right now to view is VLC. The videos seem a little jittery as well so not sure if that is just VLC or what. I just built my PC and its pretty powerful so I dont think that is it.
Hmmm. First things first. h265 is highly compressed. You are likely going to have some jitter. More importantly are you using filters? What frame rate? What shutter speed? Remember the best way to get smooth video is to make certain your shutter speed is double the frame rate. If you are not using filters during the day I'm betting the jittery footage is likely a result of the shutter speed being to high. The other culprit for jittery playback is your computer setup. What video card are you using?

I have been mostly taking pictures lately and even though I did buy Affinity I have been using lightroom. Very quick and easy to merge HDR Panos in lightroom. I always shoot in raw and usually in AEB mode. I was planning on getting the paid version of Davinci Resolve as well. I have been very impressed with the speed of my PC though.

UserBenchmarks: Game 126%, Desk 151%, Work 143%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X - 103.2%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 - 138.5%
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe PCIe M.2 500GB - 324.1%
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo NVMe PCIe M.2 500GB - 256.5%
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 C14 2x16GB - 106.7%
MBD: MSI X470 GAMING PRO CARBON (MS-7B78)

Reactions: brettbrandon
That's a nice setup. I pretty much have the same setup with 64GB DDR4 ram and a Nvidia 1080 6GB video card. I have no issues working with 4k files.

Are you saving the video to an NVME drive and playing it from there, or are you playing from the card? If you are saving to an NVME and playing from there I am going to guess your shutter speed is too high.

That's a nice setup. I pretty much have the same setup with 64GB DDR4 ram and a Nvidia 1080 6GB video card. I have no issues working with 4k files.

Are you saving the video to an NVME drive and playing it from there, or are you playing from the card? If you are saving to an NVME and playing from there I am going to guess your shutter speed is too high.

Thanks. I have been saving most of my raw files to a NAS. I may get another larger SSD though to store most everything on till I archive it to my NAS.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obanat