DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic Mini Software with unlocking Geo Zones v1.0.4 out!

Ok so to help our noobs out here, im also living on the outside border of a authorized zone, far away from the actual airport, how do we unlock it so we can fly around our house?

OKI, so new firmware dl & installed, batteries updated....I can't find where to unlock DJI geozones (incidentally Transport Canada website says I am in a clear area no restrictions) in the DJI Fly software. Am I only able to do this online?

OKI, so new firmware dl & installed, batteries updated....I can't find where to unlock DJI geozones (incidentally Transport Canada website says I am in a clear area no restrictions) in the DJI Fly software. Am I only able to do this online?
I had the same issues couldn't work out how to unlock geozone living in a blue zone after the firmware update.
Tapped on red geozone up top of page, tapped on message code ,nothing happened??
Then pulled both sticks down and in as to initiate a takeoff and then you get the message UNLOCK, tap on that and follow instructions and wella it works :)

Reactions: Thomas B
I had the same issues couldn't work out how to unlock geozone living in a blue zone after the firmware update.
Tapped on red geozone up top of page, tapped on message code ,nothing happened??
Then pulled both sticks down and in as to initiate a takeoff and then you get the message UNLOCK, tap on that and follow instructions and wella it works :)
I'll give it a shot.

When they first came out with blue zones and one was over my house, it took me a while to figure out how to initiate unlock with my M2.

Well i followed the steps and can confirm that i can fly at my house in the blue restricted zone!
Awesome!!!
Hi There,
Im glad you got to fly in a blue restricted zone. I too am in a blue zone. I was granted a licence to unlock for 3 days, however the aircraft still says I'm in a GEO Zone.
Do you have any words of wisdom? DJI have been unresponsive

I was granted a licence to unlock for 3 days, however the aircraft still says I'm in a GEO Zone.
Do you have any words of wisdom? DJI have been unresponsive

Here is a guide from DJI

Here is another guide from DJI a fellow member posted a while back (see pdf attached to the post )

And here is one of many threads with a good, informative discussion on the subject
P.S. There is a lot of information in this forum on unlocking geo zones; this forum also has a search function, you really ought to use it. It is the quickest way to get answers to your questions compared to posting a question and waiting for people to answer it.

Reactions: Thomas B
I received the update for the Mini but not the Fly app....

I can not see v1.04 in the app store.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Update might not show correct version until it is installed and opened. At least it tends to behave this way for Android.
If it shows an update, it's probably the latest despite the version shown.

I have an iPad Air that I don't regularly use. I had to refresh app store (pull down on screen) for it to show an update for Fly.

well I gave it a shot on my mavic mini. After about 6 or 7 tries in djifly an unlock screen finally came up. I tapped unlock, & it then said "unable to lift restrictions". I am in a dji blue zone, very near the edge. HOWEVER, once again, according to the Transport Canada Drone website, I am NOT in a restricted zone. I hope that they fix this soon......or am I missing something? I am using DJI FLY not, DJI GO. Help!

Last edited:
All good now.

The v1. 04 Fly app arrived for me to update today. Very strange it didn't come at the same time.

Thanks.

well I gave it a shot on my mavic mini. After about 6 or 7 tries in djifly an unlock screen finally came up. I tapped unlock, & it then said "unable to lift restrictions". I am in a dji blue zone, very near the edge. HOWEVER, once again, according to the Transport Canada Drone website, I am NOT in a restricted zone. I hope that they fix this soon......or am I missing something? I am using DJI FLY not, DJI GO. Help!
You're probably within 5 miles of a runway flight path. There might not be any govt regulations about it, there isn't in USA for airport not in controlled airspace, but it is still a safety risk. That's why DJI puts it there.

For USA, DJI puts NOTAMs/TFRs as authorization zones.

You're probably within 5 miles of a runway flight path. There might not be any govt regulations about it, there isn't in USA for airport not in controlled airspace, but it is still a safety risk. That's why DJI puts it there.

Transport Canada has different drone rules I guess. Still, it's only a blue zone on the djifly app. I should be able to disable it. I certainly can in djigo with my spark (for which I had to get a pilots license). I'm rather annoyed to say the least. It's supposed to allow permission in blue advisory zones. I can't seem to get it to work. What am I missing?

Are you sure both the Mini's firmware AND the DJI Fly app are updated to the new version?
I also live within a blue zone, but the unlocking worked for me. If I remember correctly, after connecting the Mini with the remote via the app, I pressed "GO FLY". When a screen came up with the restriction and I hit Unlock, then I actually had to go to the Fly Safe page (Fly Safe – Drone Flying Tips, Policies & Regulations, and More – DJI), scroll down to Unlocking Requests, press "Unlock a zone", In the next window that opens Press "Unlocking Requests" on the bottom. Another window opens where you have to fill in the information, then "Next Step", where you choose the area and the distances you want to unlock. Then a few minutes later I got an email about the request received, and a few more minutes later another email about granting the request to unlock.
By this time actually the zone became unlocked in the app as well.
Please let me know if it works (I am not 100% sure I remembered everything exactly).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_