DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New mavic mini

mjk15202

Reactions
So I’m looking for a drone I can use for fishing when I surf fish when I go on vacation. I just want the drone to fly the line, drop
It, and return back. I’d be using 3ounce sinkers. Maybe 4 depending on current.

Can the mavic mini do this? That’s the one I can afford. Thank everyone.

Not cheap. I'm sure there's more out there but this is the first one I found.

Reactions: pelagic_one
Not cheap. I'm sure there's more out there but this is the first one I found.

I won’t use t that often. The drop thing or whatever it is. I’ll fly the drone the way it’s intended. But when I got to tue beach for a week I’d like to use it to fish with for a few days.

Reactions: Tufargon
I won’t use t that often. The drop thing or whatever it is. I’ll fly the drone the way it’s intended. But when I got to tue beach for a week I’d like to use it to fish with for a few days.
I'm an avid fisherman too and I seriously thought of getting a drop thingy too but I can cast a country mile with my setup and I don't fish salt water.
Edit: I have the MA2

Reactions: hiflyer201
Welcome to the forum!

If I may, I’d like to recommend finding a used Mavic Pro, and using a drop attachment that’s easily searchable on Amazon. The Mavic Mini may be overpowered by the typical coastal winds, and may not be able to carry the weight of a gamefish lure or weighted bait rig.

I‘m on vacation now with my MP and drop attachment, and couldn’t imagine fishing with a Mini and these strong afternoon tradewinds.

Thanks for the tip everyone! I’d be fishing in ocean city md. That’s where we vacation. I’ll look around for a used pro. I’m always nervous about buying used.

Reactions: pelagic_one
What setup do you have that you can cast that far?
That's an old saying. I can't actually cast a mile but I can cast pretty dang far for the lightweight setup I have. I have a Shimano Stradic CI4+ FB (with 3 extra bearings and carbontex carbon fiber drag washers) reel with interchangable 2500 and 3000 spools and a St. Croix rod. I use Super Silver Thread copolymer line which is very hard to find. Thinner diameter and more limp than any other line I've ever used so it casts far and has virtually no memory.

Reactions: MMPerrish
Length of rod?
What's the action?
And how much weight do you typically throw?
That's an old saying. I can't actually cast a mile but I can cast pretty dang far for the lightweight setup I have. I have a Shimano Stradic CI4+ FB (with 3 extra bearings and carbontex carbon fiber drag washers) reel with interchangable 2500 and 3000 spools and a St. Croix rod. I use Super Silver Thread copolymer line which is very hard to find. Thinner diameter and more limp than any other line I've ever used so it casts far and has virtually no memory.

You're going to be on a sandy and wet beach with a fragile, expensive water and sand hating piece of very sophisticated equipment. I don't think your drone will last the season.

Reactions: Dbez1
You're going to be on a sandy and wet beach with a fragile, expensive water and sand hating piece of very sophisticated equipment. I don't think your drone will last the season.

What about the mavic air 2? Will that be better on the beach? Well, I might just buy the mini and use it fun and learn to kite fish from the shore. Lol kite fishing does look fun.

Could I buy something that attaches to the bottom?

I have seen people use the DJI Spark for fishing.

They used a picture hook (little brass wall hook thingy) attached to the bottom and the line was held in place by the tension as you would fly out.

A tap of the brakes or a quick reverse maneuver allowed the line to slid off of the hook.

Waterproof fishing drones can be purchased but the price isn't cheap.

Here's other options...

Reactions: Tufargon
Thanks for the tip everyone! I’d be fishing in ocean city md. That’s where we vacation. I’ll look around for a used pro. I’m always nervous about buying used.
Even with a good assortment of Mavics, I choose to fish with the used MP I acquired from a local forum member. It would be the model I’d be least upset about, if it were to take an ocean nosedive.

There are the “why would you even do that!?” types here, and that‘s okay, too. Heck, there’s an entire world of people who question our hobby altogether.

I grew up fishing in Ocean City, and have fished around the world since. Drone-assisted casting is a novel concept, which I only find practical for getting beyond a reef or distant sand bar. But I’d imagine the right surfcasting gear would get you on the bluefish in Ocean City waters, without needing a drone.

Just because you can doesn’t always mean you should.

Can I suggest something like a Phantom 3 adv rather than a Mini. I think you are going to be flogging a Mini to death whereas a P3 will lift another P3 and it will handle wind better than the Mini. The control may not be as precise as you could get with a Mini but it should be adequate

I kinda agree. I think it’s a bad idea, especially for the MM.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sverkerh