DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic Pro Owner... Thoughts?

do I need to register my drone with the FAA
If you're only going to fly as a hobbyist (and never commercially), you should register under "Section 336" on the FAA's website here.

Reactions: finalfan7asy
I have both the Spark and the Mavic Pro. The MP is significantly better. However, it is more complicated.
Use the flight simulator in the app to learn to maneuver the MP without worrying about trees, etc...The simulator is valuable, and often over looked.

Look for pre-flight check lists so you can be sure you are starting off on the right foot. An important part of my pre-flight check list is to be sure the IMU signal is excellent, the Compass signal is excellent, and the return to home point has been set. You will want to research these. If you find them within the app you will be digging deep, and will learn a great deal about how the app is structured; especially true when you find them repeatedly.

I recommend the app UAV forecast. This will tell you what the wind speed is at various altitudes. It may seem low on the ground, but could be significantly higher with altitude. It also will tell you the KP index, which when above 4 - don't fly. It could mess with your drones electronics.

Watch youtube videos. I think these are good for beginners
Good introduction to the MP
Will help you sort through accessories, and save your money from hype
Approachable personality
Dan Thomas Media This guy covers all of the flight modes

Once you can navigate the app, and learn to fly the drone well, then these channels will teach you about cinematography
Drone Film Guide
Jeven Dovey

Get out to a wide open field. Start off in Tripod mode (restricted speed), then to Beginner mode (restricted range and altitude), then regular unrestricted GPS mode before advancing to Sport mode.

The MP was a good choice. It's easy to fly, stable, and capable of all you will ever want from a drone. The Spark is a good choice for beginners, but you will quickly out grow it. The MP is a good choice for beginners, and you may never out grow it.

good luck, fly safe, and have fun.
These videos are really informative. Thanks for including a link.

And as you can see, you also have a wide support group that can help with just about any problems, including repairs.

Reactions: finalfan7asy
Hi everyone,

I just got home from picking up a Mavic Pro and I'm not sure if I made the right decision. I'm new to drones and was hesitant to investing in an expensive one. I initially purchased the Wingsland S6, but after reading so many bad reviews I returned it still new in the box. What I really wanted was the Spark Fly More Combo for $549, however, I decided to purchase the Pro with a controller after realizing it was on sale for $830. My intentions are to use it for general aerial photography/film at home and while on vacation. Am I in over my head? Should I have saved up for the Platinum or stuck with the Spark instead?

Welcome to the club. I think you made a great decision.. The MP is one of the best devices out there for ease of use, mobility and now cost. Fly it man, enjoy the heck out of it.

Reactions: MrsTreat
Hi everyone,

I just got home from picking up a Mavic Pro and I'm not sure if I made the right decision. I'm new to drones and was hesitant to investing in an expensive one. I initially purchased the Wingsland S6, but after reading so many bad reviews I returned it still new in the box. What I really wanted was the Spark Fly More Combo for $549, however, I decided to purchase the Pro with a controller after realizing it was on sale for $830. My intentions are to use it for general aerial photography/film at home and while on vacation. Am I in over my head? Should I have saved up for the Platinum or stuck with the Spark instead?
You Defiantly made a good Choice. Its the best drone available for the Money. Since you already are familiar with drones. You just need to understand the Mavic Pro,
if you have Issues. Click on Mavic Help, then Mavic Tips, a wealth of information to
help you can more knowledge and confidence, Blue Skies and safe flying.

Hi everyone,

can't go wrong with the pro. It is phenomenal. Go fly it and you'll soon love it.

if you are into photography and sounds like u are, i believe the spark only shoots jpeg,the pro shoots in raw and the files can be edited pretty good, i use luminar to edit and it blows my mind some days ,,,,haha, u made the right decsision, once u flew the spark for a few weeks u would want to upgrade and end up selling it for half what u paid anyways haha, the pro is a awsome toy u will luv it,

I've had my MP for about a year now and I've done 33 DroneBase missions (they only accept DJI drones for their paid missions).
I can't think of anything bad to say about it! I recently purchased a DJI Inspire 1 Version 2 to Replace the Mavic Pro but after one flight with it I decided to keep the Mavic for sure. I could give you several reasons (I will if you ask) but I'm sure it's all been said on the forum here. So put your buyer's remorse to rest because you got a great deal on a great drone...

Reactions: Drgnfli
Hi everyone,

You have a great drone. I love mine and have never had any problems BUT I spend a lot of time practicing with it. Even now, after a year and many flights I still don't do stupid things. I always keep my drone within my line of sight. I practiced all the features and settings in a wide open area so I would know what is going to happen if I press RTH or move a stick to the left, right, up or down. I practiced landing until I could land the drone 10 times out of 10 on a 24 inch square table. I still get jittery when I take my drone out over the water (ocean) but have learned to keep it at least 10 meters higher than the highest waves. Practice,practice, practice and be a safe and smart pilot and you will have many years and many hours of fun.

Reactions: Drgnfli
Hi everyone,

You have a great drone. I love mine and have never had any problems BUT I spend a lot of time practicing with it. Even now, after a year and many flights I still don't do stupid things. I always keep my drone within my line of sight. I practiced all the features and settings in a wide open area so I would know what is going to happen if I press RTH or move a stick to the left, right, up or down. I practiced landing until I could land the drone 10 times out of 10 on a 24 inch square table. I still get jittery when I take my drone out over the water (ocean) but have learned to keep it at least 10 meters higher than the highest waves. Practice,practice, practice and be a safe and smart pilot and you will have many years and many hours of fun.
You should have waited for the mavic 2 or got an Evo

Here is your best way to make sure you dont flush your $800 down the toilet. Spend another $500 and take flying lessons and a class from a 'reputable' instructor / company. Dont believe me, just take a look at this forum and type in "first flight crash"

Hi everyone,

Reckon you should have waited for the Mavic Pro 2 there is a DJI Announcement 18th July
The Mavic Pro is old tech now the Spark a tad limited with only a 1080p camera and a few playfull features. More a selfie drone.
Mavic Air which I just sold after 2mths due to issues with Transmitter probs which is to do with wifi wisely talked about in forums.
So yeah if you like DJI wait to see what the 18th of July brings **

Hi finalfan7asy, just like you I did loads of research and plumbed for the Pro and really glad I did. Never had a drone before and I'm absolutely hopeless at photography but the sheer joy of learning to fly and continually improve on my photography skills is just so good. What's great about the Pro is it's so robust. I've had several crashes and last "accident" was whilst trying out POI and pressing the wrong control, got stuck up an 80ft tree. Luckily my neighbour is a tree surgeon and rescued it for me, no damage to gimbal or props whatsoever. Yeah, you've definitely made the right decision, I hope you enjoy flying and learning as much as I do. Flying at 69.

Hi everyone,

You'll never be "over your head" with the Mavic Pro. Since it's basically a flying camera there're many things to learn about those capabilities but YouTube is jammed with videos - great resource! Flies like a dream if your at all familiar with Quads. Just take it out into the great wide open and play with it. You won't be disappointed, I guarantee it!

Here is your best way to make sure you dont flush your $800 down the toilet. Spend another $500 and take flying lessons and a class from a 'reputable' instructor / company. Dont believe me, just take a look at this forum and type in "first flight crash"
$500.00 for a flying class?
Oh, wait.. Hollywood...
-never mind-
;)

Hi everyone,

I think you made the right move, especially at that price. you will need at least 3 batteries. It's the perfect size and has better features than the Spark which is also to light in windy conditions in my opinion. PLEASE follow instructions before you fly for the first time. You have to calibrate the compass and maybe the max hieght and max distance. DJI and private citizens have some great videos on You Tube.

You sound like a guy that does his research... Have fun.

Tip - get DJI refresh the first year, then switch to State Farm insurance.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS