DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic Pro Owner... Thoughts?

finalfan7asy

Reactions
Hi everyone,

I just got home from picking up a Mavic Pro and I'm not sure if I made the right decision. I'm new to drones and was hesitant to investing in an expensive one. I initially purchased the Wingsland S6, but after reading so many bad reviews I returned it still new in the box. What I really wanted was the Spark Fly More Combo for $549, however, I decided to purchase the Pro with a controller after realizing it was on sale for $830. My intentions are to use it for general aerial photography/film at home and while on vacation. Am I in over my head? Should I have saved up for the Platinum or stuck with the Spark instead?

Are you always second guessing yourself like this? You made a decision, stick with it and make it work.

No. The issue is that I do more research before I make a larger purchase and this time I did not. I'm only looking for consumer guidance.

I think you lucked out and ended up with the best drone ever built for a great price.
No need for a Platinum unless color is worth several hundred dollars to you.
If you got a Spark, you'd just enjoy it and start saving for a Mavic, eventually.
A mavic is no more complicated to fly or maintain than a Spark - maybe even easier in some ways.
Stop over thinking it and enjoy it.
Happy Flying!

PS - don't fly indoors, watch lots of YouTube videos, be careful in Sport mode, don't expect the sensors to keep you from crashing into anything, don't fly too close to airports or people. You'll be fine.

I think you lucked out and ended up with the best drone ever built for a great price.
If you got a Spark, you'd just enjoy it and start saving for a Mavic, eventually.
A mavic is no more complicated to fly or maintain than a Spark - maybe even easier in some ways.
Happy Flying!

PS - don't fly indoors, watch lots of YouTube videos, be careful in Sport mode, don't expect the sensors to keep you from crashing into anything, don't fly too close to airports or people. You'll be fine.

I’m glad to hear such good news. Thanks for the information. I’m about 10 miles from a major airport, so I should be okay.

Reactions: TrayBoz
Happy Flying!

Good job, TrayBoz!!
OP asked a question, looking for information and reassurance. You came through for him/her with an honest and factual response.
Well Done.

Try to watch the right YouTube video’s. Anyone who does a compass calibration indoors or next to their vehicle has no credibility. Read and understand the DJI online manual for your drone. Ask questions here on anything that you are unclear about. Understand your local and national regulations.
Above all and after all of the above, enjoy yourself.

I’m glad to hear such good news. Thanks for the information. I’m about 10 miles from a major airport, so I should be okay.

Define "Major Airport" .

you could easily be in Class B Airspace controlled from Surface to XX thousand feet.

Have you looked at a sectional chart?

Reactions: finalfan7asy

I agree completely.

I was the same when I got my Mavic. Just flying overhead, circling round and not really doing much of anything because I was too worried about what could happen.
I then just decided to go for it because it was turning out to be a very expensive "toy" for what I was (or wasn't) doing with it.
I've never looked back.

I just think that, as long as I'm flying to the best of my ability and not being stupid and reckless, if anything happens to the drone, so be it.
I'd rather total it knowing it was used, than total it knowing it wasn't.

Be sensible and, sure, keep watching and learning, but get out and fly the thing.

Hi everyone,

I just got home from picking up a Mavic Pro and I'm not sure if I made the right decision. I'm new to drones and was hesitant to investing in an expensive one. I initially purchased the Wingsland S6, but after reading so many bad reviews I returned it still new in the box. What I really wanted was the Spark Fly More Combo for $549, however, I decided to purchase the Pro with a controller after realizing it was on sale for $830. My intentions are to use it for general aerial photography/film at home and while on vacation. Am I in over my head? Should I have saved up for the Platinum or stuck with the Spark instead?
I have both the Spark and the Mavic Pro. The MP is significantly better. However, it is more complicated.
Use the flight simulator in the app to learn to maneuver the MP without worrying about trees, etc...The simulator is valuable, and often over looked.

Look for pre-flight check lists so you can be sure you are starting off on the right foot. An important part of my pre-flight check list is to be sure the IMU signal is excellent, the Compass signal is excellent, and the return to home point has been set. You will want to research these. If you find them within the app you will be digging deep, and will learn a great deal about how the app is structured; especially true when you find them repeatedly.

I recommend the app UAV forecast. This will tell you what the wind speed is at various altitudes. It may seem low on the ground, but could be significantly higher with altitude. It also will tell you the KP index, which when above 4 - don't fly. It could mess with your drones electronics.

Watch youtube videos. I think these are good for beginners
Good introduction to the MP
Will help you sort through accessories, and save your money from hype
Approachable personality
Dan Thomas Media This guy covers all of the flight modes

Once you can navigate the app, and learn to fly the drone well, then these channels will teach you about cinematography
Drone Film Guide
Jeven Dovey

Get out to a wide open field. Start off in Tripod mode (restricted speed), then to Beginner mode (restricted range and altitude), then regular unrestricted GPS mode before advancing to Sport mode.

The MP was a good choice. It's easy to fly, stable, and capable of all you will ever want from a drone. The Spark is a good choice for beginners, but you will quickly out grow it. The MP is a good choice for beginners, and you may never out grow it.

good luck, fly safe, and have fun.

Agree with above. I felt the same and conferred with several people on this forum and YouTube. They all directed me to the MAVIC Pro. I went from park to park to baseball fields to soccer fields then large parking lots. Started in Beginner mode and also used the internal flight simulator. Only issue was a universal mistake of forgetting to take gamble cover off before take off. Have Fun-Fly Safe!

Ya you got a hell of a deal. the mavic pro is one of the very best quads to date it's two years old and not much can touch it you made the right decision.. read the manual twice then go out and fly it..

I personally think you made right decision. I don't know much about Spark and this is very true in case of MP as well as MPP (I'm new to drones). I was very tempted to buy MPP and conclusions from my research indicate that MPP is not just different color, it has better battery life, different propellers, about 4 - 6 dBs quieter then MP, it spins propellers at 4.7 - 4.8 RPM where as MP is in 5.4 - 5.5 RPM range. I decided to go with MP because I thought I spend saved money (over $400) on 2 years insurance. After purchase of MP I realize I don't have proper display device, my Samsung Note 4 is pretty much useless outside. So I'm very glad I picked MP, the money I saved I used to buy 1 year Refresh insurance and rest I put towards purchase of CrystalSky Ultra Bright monitor. I suggest you play with your MP and very soon you will forget about MPP or any other drones you were contemplating to buy :) BTW, I went with Fly More Combo which in my opinion is great buy. So far I additionally bought 5-in-1 charger, DJI filters, Katana tray and Pelican case for SD memory cards , can't wait till my wife see CC statement for this month :)

Congrats in choosing the M Pro!Thumbswayup
Before you decide upgrading FW, try flying it w/ it's stock FW 1st.
After that if you feel the needs of upgrading it and wanted those extra flight modes, then, by all means.......enjoy!

I'm relatively happy with the Mavic Pro I just bought. I owned a Phanton 3 Advanced (sold this past summer) for a few years prior, and it compares favorably and is a lot more portable.

Thank you everyone for your input. I feel much better about my purchase. I will refer to YouTube videos, the included instructions, and other websites for support. Also, do I need to register my drone with the FAA or somewhere else?

Is there a website that I can find specific flight regulations/restrictions for my area?

Reactions: Ce4tnkr
I agree completely.

I was the same when I got my Mavic. Just flying overhead, circling round and not really doing much of anything because I was too worried about what could happen.
I then just decided to go for it because it was turning out to be a very expensive "toy" for what I was (or wasn't) doing with it.
I've never looked back.

I just think that, as long as I'm flying to the best of my ability and not being stupid and reckless, if anything happens to the drone, so be it.
I'd rather total it knowing it was used, than total it knowing it wasn't.

Be sensible and, sure, keep watching and learning, but get out and fly the thing.
Excellent statement. I'm still circling around too worried about what could happen. Must come with age!!! Chuck

Reactions: JimmyHillsChin
I purchased the Mavic for the same intentions as yourself—photography and video. The raw files from it are awesome when processed to the best of ones ability. I've been able to make some dynamite 18x12 inch (A3) prints.

Over your head? Not at all! Just start somewhat carefully with some wide-open spaces (but only after reading the manual, watching some good videos as already recommended and reading some great posts on this forum).

If you had purchased a Spark, I'm sure you would have major buyers remorse in no time. Enjoy the journey!

Reactions: Drgnfli
Thank you everyone for your input. I feel much better about my purchase. I will refer to YouTube videos, the included instructions, and other websites for support. Also, do I need to register my drone with the FAA or somewhere else?

Is there a website that I can find specific flight regulations/restrictions for my area?
go to the FAA website to register your drone: UAS Registration
Go find Part 107 and read it thoroughly. The FAA takes the attitude of your ignorance of the FARs is no excuse.

Good luck and keep asking us questions.

Reactions: Ce4tnkr
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute