DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic Pro Owner

CaptainRisky

Reactions
Hi All,

I've secured a clean looking MP1 (please correct me if there's a more common abbreviation) which all going well, I pick up tomorrow. 1 owner, bought from a local Harvey Norman store and with 38 min on the clock. Only 2 batteries, basic kit with bag etc. I paid 600AUD (pending inspection/test flight of course).

I'm really hoping to do some drone fishing as I live near the beach, and for years have been watching huge schools of fish going crazy about 100m's further out than my best cast. Time to bring it to them. I've also got a large private property to practice on, so I'm going to do lots of training before I try that.

I'm getting some serious congressional oversight from the "Minister for Finance", so I'm trying to utilize any gear I've got here and save money where possible.

Some questions before I pick it up:

1. My tablet is a Lenovo TB-8505F Australian model. I'm hoping that will work, and the DJI GO4 app installed and opens fine on it, so I'm feeling it should be OK. Any suggestions?

2. For some reason Assistant 2 kept telling me to install it on a computer, wouldn't download to the tablet. What would that be about? Do I need that on my tablet, or is that for when you're hooking the drone up to the computer or something.

3. What would be a good filter for looking into the ocean to spot fish? I'm tipping polarized? Maybe some basic camera settings as well for that purpose, more so than for the sake of photography?

4. If I'm reconning a beach, can I take a GPS mark whilst hovering over a spot then fly back to that mark? I've been studying this a bit, and I'm getting the impression that it doesn't do that, and you have to plot waypoints on a map or something. I'm really hoping that's not the case, as if I visually spot a spot with fish I want to mark it then and there so I can connect a line and come back to it.

5. What do we think of clone batteries on ebay/Amazon/etc? I've done a fair bit of messing with Lipos and have found that cheapies are often just as good, and it's all about how you've charged and used them. I don't know if that's the case with DJI batteries though. Obviously warranty isn't an issue.

6. I'm also thinking about buying a used set of DJI googles to go with it later down the track, as it should help with glare and the head tracking feature would be good for fish spotting. They're pretty cheap now and it seems they're full of high end features. Of course I'd have a spotter and the area I want to fish is very private. Any insight on that?

I'd really appreciate any advice. Of course I'm studying the manuals and forums as well.

Cheers and thanks in advance!

Reactions: mereflyer
Hi All,

I've secured a clean looking MP1 (please correct me if there's a more common abbreviation) which all going well, I pick up tomorrow. 1 owner, bought from a local Harvey Norman store and with 38 min on the clock. Only 2 batteries, basic kit with bag etc. I paid 600AUD (pending inspection/test flight of course).

I'm really hoping to do some drone fishing as I live near the beach, and for years have been watching huge schools of fish going crazy about 100m's further out than my best cast. Time to bring it to them. I've also got a large private property to practice on, so I'm going to do lots of training before I try that.

I'm getting some serious congressional oversight from the "Minister for Finance", so I'm trying to utilize any gear I've got here and save money where possible.

Some questions before I pick it up:

1. My tablet is a Lenovo TB-8505F Australian model. I'm hoping that will work, and the DJI GO4 app installed and opens fine on it, so I'm feeling it should be OK. Any suggestions?

2. For some reason Assistant 2 kept telling me to install it on a computer, wouldn't download to the tablet. What would that be about? Do I need that on my tablet, or is that for when you're hooking the drone up to the computer or something.

3. What would be a good filter for looking into the ocean to spot fish? I'm tipping polarized? Maybe some basic camera settings as well for that purpose, more so than for the sake of photography?

4. If I'm reconning a beach, can I take a GPS mark whilst hovering over a spot then fly back to that mark? I've been studying this a bit, and I'm getting the impression that it doesn't do that, and you have to plot waypoints on a map or something. I'm really hoping that's not the case, as if I visually spot a spot with fish I want to mark it then and there so I can connect a line and come back to it.

5. What do we think of clone batteries on ebay/Amazon/etc? I've done a fair bit of messing with Lipos and have found that cheapies are often just as good, and it's all about how you've charged and used them. I don't know if that's the case with DJI batteries though. Obviously warranty isn't an issue.

6. I'm also thinking about buying a used set of DJI googles to go with it later down the track, as it should help with glare and the head tracking feature would be good for fish spotting. They're pretty cheap now and it seems they're full of high end features. Of course I'd have a spotter and the area I want to fish is very private. Any insight on that?

I'd really appreciate any advice. Of course I'm studying the manuals and forums as well.

Cheers and thanks in advance!
I can't answer everything but you definitely need a pc to run dji assistant 2.
Also I would stay AS FAR AWAY as you can from 3rd party batteries. That's just a terrible idea. Seriously.

Also I would stay AS FAR AWAY as you can from 3rd party batteries. That's just a terrible idea. Seriously.

I've got Assistant 2 working.

It seems I needed to turn the monitor resolution to 1600x900 and it all came good. Don't know why, I saw it on a YT video.

Now running latest firmware in everything with no issues.

I don't need anymore batteries, as I found a local ad from an old guy who dropped his MPP in the water. Got 2 good batteries/controller/charger/case/etc for 150AUD. 6 batteries is plenty for me.

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
I would make sure that it is not associated/registered to an account. If it is, you won't be able to use it. And DJI will not do anything for you. The best way is to go ahead and install the app on your phone and fire the drone up. If they won't let you, make sure you can return it!

Agree about the battery and sticking with OEM.
Although many here do use the PowerExtra for the M1P / MPP and find them fine, I like the OEM and fact I know full battery functions will work the way they should with the flight systems onboard.

The M1P / MPP batteries have been obsolete for quite a while now, but many, including those, plus the Spark, Air, and M2 seem to be coming back into the DJI store, most showing available in the store on 12/9/22.

https://store.dji.com/au/product-search?q=mavic+pro+battery

Like @CaptainRisky I have 6 perfect batteries for my M1P, and that is ample for my needs.
I also have the Spark and 5 batteries for that as back up, if I wanted to fly much longer on a day trip, but that is a rarely needed occurrence.

I would make sure that it is not associated/registered to an account. If it is, you won't be able to use it. And DJI will not do anything for you. The best way is to go ahead and install the app on your phone and fire the drone up. If they won't let you, make sure you can return it!

If you are referring to my MPP it is not registered to anyone. It was new/unused from the original owner and yes I used the app.

double down on staying away from 3 party batteries.

One more comment. I don't think you will see much using the Lenovo tablet. Bright sunlight makes the display useless on the smartphones and tablets that I have tried. Try the Lenovo and see how it works. I ended up getting a Dronemask and using a smart phone as the display. The display is somewhat grainy but it is readable in any lighting conditions. It works but it is overpriced. I would like to hear if it useful as a fish spotter. Two of my favorite things are fishing and flying drones.

One more comment. I don't think you will see much using the Lenovo tablet. Bright sunlight makes the display useless on the smartphones and tablets that I have tried. Try the Lenovo and see how it works. I ended up getting a Dronemask and using a smart phone as the display. The display is somewhat grainy but it is readable in any lighting conditions. It works but it is overpriced. I would like to hear if it useful as a fish spotter. Two of my favorite things are fishing and flying drones.

I've got an 8" Lenovo tablet on mine.

It's an amazing tablet for the price, but can be hard to see in the sun. It's still good enough for me all the same.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zzombie