DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mobile Device for Mavic Pro and P4

This is a question for users of the Mavic Pro and P4 only. With the recent updates to firmware, devices that worked previously now have severe issues as follows:

Mavic Pro - disconnect in the middle of flight with a Samsung S6.
P4 - features and controls, for example the orientation compass and things like tripod mode, no longer work with a Samsung 8 inch Tab A.

I understand everybody has their subjective biases for Apple versus Android. I prefer Android for simple reason that it is what I am familiar with. However, if someone is using both quad copters mentioned, I am not adverse to going into an iPad. I'm basically looking for two things:
1. A mobile device that connects and works flawlessly with both the Mavic Pro and P4
2. A mobile device that also fits into the holder of the Mavic Pro RC as well as the P4

Appreciate any advice from users that have both and have had trouble-free operation in both.

Marty

As an Apple user I naturally used my iPhone 6+ with the MP and I bought an iPad 4 Mini for the P4P. The later does not have a very bright screen, alas. I have tried the iPhone 6+ with the P4P and that works w/o issue - but on the big controller I prefer the larger display.

The Mini fits the MP controller (barely but it does). I think the retina iPads are brighter (others will tell...).

The issue with Android (as you've probably heard/read by now) is that there are so many h/w variants and so many OS variants out there, it is virtually impossible for the GO App to work flawlessly on all of them. It's an uphill battle of complexity.

I did have a "first" issue with iOS the other day: "CPU overload" in flight (accompanied by poor video performance). This seems to be related to "background refresh" suddenly being enabled for many apps. Possibly at the last iOS update. So a checklist item is to turn off all that BG stuff.

As an Apple user I naturally used my iPhone 6+ with the MP and I bought an iPad 4 Mini for the P4P. The later does not have a very bright screen, alas. I have tried the iPhone 6+ with the P4P and that works w/o issue - but on the big controller I prefer the larger display.
Thanks for the description. I was leaning towards an iPad Mini 4 but the not bright screen is a deterrent. That was also the issue with the Acer.

After the latest DJI GO update, my old Samsung Tab A works with the P4 in all respects but the compass orientation which points the opposite of North and does not allow switching to direction the P4 is front is facing. Will try to update DJI GO on Samsung S6 and see if it still losses connection. *

* Anyone find the loss of connection with Android has been fixed with latest GO update when used with a Samsung S phone?

This is a question for users of the Mavic Pro and P4 only. With the recent updates to firmware, devices that worked previously now have severe issues as follows:

Mavic Pro - disconnect in the middle of flight with a Samsung S6.
P4 - features and controls, for example the orientation compass and things like tripod mode, no longer work with a Samsung 8 inch Tab A.

I understand everybody has their subjective biases for Apple versus Android. I prefer Android for simple reason that it is what I am familiar with. However, if someone is using both quad copters mentioned, I am not adverse to going into an iPad. I'm basically looking for two things:
1. A mobile device that connects and works flawlessly with both the Mavic Pro and P4
2. A mobile device that also fits into the holder of the Mavic Pro RC as well as the P4

Appreciate any advice from users that have both and have had trouble-free operation in both.

Marty

DJI tends to favor Apple. The iPhone/iPad and iOS are designed specifically to work as a system. Android is an operating system, not a device. Android-based devices differ from one manufacturer to another, so they are more prone to errors. Apple iPhone 7+ has a big screen. The iPad 4 Mini is very popular with drone pilots.

I use my first generation 9.7" iPad Pro and iPhone 7 plus on both my Mavic and P4P. I have absolutely no issues with the Mavic and very few with the P4P. I say few as I'm having trouble with my P4P but I don't think it is the firmware or tablet. I had a gimbal failure on my first P4P and DJI graciously sent me a "refurb" under warranty, but I'm still not 100% satisfied with it. I like to take a lot of dusk/dawn/night shots that require long exposures, and I just can't get the P4P to be stable. I won't digress further as your question is on Apple products. Suffice to say, I have never experienced any DJI Go issues on my P3, P4 or current Mavic and P4P. One of the reasons I continue to buy DJI products as they usually just work with Apple. But, I will say the iPad Pro and iPhone 7 plus do have a little brighter screens. When I pair them with a sun screen I have no issues. I have thousands of photos and videos of my wife and others surfing.

I am using my Samsung Galaxy S8+ connected to the lower USB port. I turn on flightmode after logging in. No single disconnect or app failure in 20 flights. Before i had a Motorola moto c+ which was a disaster.

How bright is the screen ? My iPhone is not great and iPad is even worse so looking for a new screen !! Can you see it clearly on a bright day ? Thanks
Eventually got around to taking some photos to illustrate the Acer's screen in comparison to my iPhone 6s. Both devices are at full screen brightness.
P1050024.JPG P1050025.JPG

Reactions: rik08
That's great thanks for showing I have gone with a 6s plus ! But now I keep getting disconnected from drone ! Can still fly it, but no image on screen and all signal info gone !!

Have you tried connecting with the USB on the bottom of the controller?

I use a Verizon Samsung Note 5 with Nougat (Android 7.1). The first few times I flew, I used the side port and had the occasional disconnect, which scared the crap out of me. Then I tried the bottom USB port, and I haven't had a disconnect since. It makes absolutely no sense to me, but it does seem to make a difference.

HTH,

Rich

I have the Mavic and use an Asus Zenpad 10.1" tablet with 2gb ram and Medtek processor and have had zero problems with disconnects or lag that plagued my S6 Active. It needs a third party holder but having the big screen is great compared to a tiny phone. It's perfect for my needs but I'm still going to try out the Epson Moverio BT-300 Smart glasses as they look like they could be a fantastic accessory to the Mavic.

-Joe

I'm an android guy as well. I had been using my Moto G3, but I've recently started having some mild lag and FPV video breakup issues. I'd like something a little bigger and brighter, but my main requirement is that it fit in the PolarPro mount for the MP - which means phone, not tablet. I just ordered a Huawei Mate 9 given its supposedly very bright 5.9" display and higher end performance. I'll post back on how it works out if you are interested.

LP

Have you tried connecting with the USB on the bottom of the controller?
Tried this evening and had no issues, will see how it goes, not very comfy to hold so hoping normal connection will resume ! Thanks for suggestion

Make sure you're using a decent quality usb cable. I use a Ipad Mini4 and a Ipad Pro and they both work great. The only android I'll use on my quads is a Crystalsky and that does work great. No bloatware but only DJI apps

Although the lag is no better than any other device I have, I did just fly two batteries with the Mate 9. Nice phone...big, bright, crisp and responsive. Sound is great too. It's running Nougat, and not one hiccup.

LP

Hi, I have been using an iPhone 6s+ till this week, a few disconnects but not many. Took the plunge and bought the CrystalSky this week, awesome, easy to see even in the brightest sunshine and very fast. If you want a dedicated device I cannot recommend this enough [emoji3]

How are you mounting the CS? Is there a 'front of the controller' mount that works well? I hate having the display below the RC, or in front of the RC. I love using the PolarPro mount with my phone - but the CS is so much bigger and heavier that I think that's a no go.

LP

How are you mounting the CS? Is there a 'front of the controller' mount that works well? I hate having the display below the RC, or in front of the RC. I love using the PolarPro mount with my phone - but the CS is so much bigger and heavier that I think that's a no go.

LP

There is a mount where you can position it below or above the remote, just google the evolution 3D mount, works with both sizes, I prefer the monitor in the same place as the phone and currently use a couple of Velcro strips which work very well with the 5.5 screen which I find ideal with the Mavic remote. I've ordered a holder that clamps between the phone arms but it hasn't arrived yet. The screen is in a higher position than a phone, but I find it helps keeping my thumbs steadier too. I'll post a pic once I get the mount.

Last edited:
Yeah...not what I want. I want it above and forward of the RC like with the P4 and others. Thanks though.

LP

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura