DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New "nervous" Mavic 2 zoom owner in Plymouth UK

Welcome!

Ok, so be sure to study up on what those RTH settings really mean! Such as returning to controller does not mean it will go find you after you’ve moved, it will simply return to where the controller was when you started the flight. I know... I thought the same thing you are about it and luckily wasn’t on a boat when I first tried it out!

Really? so how do you change your return to home when you have moved to a different location?

I take off and land from my boat. A few lessons learned doing it.

If the boat is at anchor I can catch it.
If the boat is not at anchor there better be no current moving the boat.

If the boat is rocking up and down from waves be careful, I tried and succeeded catching the Mavic, but I got hit with the blades about two weeks ago and held on tight until the Mavic turned off. I didn’t want the thing to try and flyaway not knowing if it could fly with a potentially damaged blade.

This is what it looks like today and it’s healed quite a bit. It looked like someone used a razor blade and slashed the same some over and over until mush. There was no blood dripping all over the drone, sorry.

View attachment 77021

Maybe I should pack some gardening gloves??

Really? so how do you change your return to home when you have moved to a different location?

Land it, stop motors and takeoff again is what I did. It returned to where I was standing when I took off.

Also, it will go to where the controller was when RTH was initiated, again not good if you leave that spot before it comes back.

Last edited:
Reactions: RickJH
Hi and welcome to the M2Z world, I am fairly new to this too and tried the beginner mode but found it way too restricting. The tripod mode gives you a lot more room to learn and slows the controls down and makes it easier to control plus turns on all the sensors which helps.

I watched a lot of you tube on these things too and one that I liked alot was Ikopa and he is from your part of the world with lots of videos on the local rules and regs, may be worth looking into.

Just putting in the air and moving it around will make you feel better about it, good luck

Searched for Ikopa & couldn't find anything??

Land it, stop motors and takeoff again is what I did. It returned to where I was standing when I took off.

Logical! I will definitely be using this method!

One question though, if I have the drone in follow mode locked to the boat when I'm on the towpath, how do you exit this mode & manually fly it back to me?? In other words, is it possible to exit this mode & take over manually?
Another question is, can you manually adjust the heights whilst in this mode as there are a few bridges along the way?

Cheers

Last edited:

One question though, if I have the drone in follow mode locked to the boat when I'm on the towpath, how do you exit this mode & manually fly it back to me?? In other words, is it possible to exit this mode & take over manually?
Another question is, can you manually adjust the heights whilst in this mode as there are a few bridges along the way?

Cheers

Get good at using the pause button on the controller, it stops those functions, RTH’s, etc.

The pause button is also good for emergencies.

Also a good lesson I learned from others here is that if your display device or the DJI Go app disconnects or shuts down, it does not mean you’ve lost control- the controller may still be connected and you can fly the drone as usual without the display.

Also, be sure to set your RTH height at a safe level for where you are flying.

Cheers

Im not sure about your last question, cutting in to make adjustments while in tracking mode.

Also note that I edited the RTH to controller info above, it also will return to the controller based on where the controller was when RTH was manually initiated , so if you are still moving, it still wont find you.

This function makes it safer if there was a total communications error between the controller and the drone, but apparently many people ended up losing their aircraft assuming it would go RTH to where they are standing.

Last edited:
Im not sure about your last question, cutting in to make adjustments while in tracking mode.

lso note that I edited the RTH to controller info above, it also will return to the controller based on where the controller was when RTH was manually initiated , so if you are still moving, it still wont find you.

This function makes it safer if there was a total communications error between the controller and the drone, but apparently many people ended up losing their aircraft assuming it would go RTH to where they are standing.

Yes, in tracking mode - I saw a video on YouTube whereby you can track your object (boat in my case along a narrow canal) in different styles, follow, circle, spiral etc.. but what if you're too low & a bridge is approaching as these modes are all presets aren't they??

I think I may have to look into this further as at the end of the day, I'm a newbie & just have this idea in my mind which may prove difficult....I suppose what I'm saying is, if it is in circle mode, can you increase/decrease the altitude manually whilst still maintaining the circle mode?? (depending on what is ahead of the moving object you're following such as a bridge/overhanging tree etc.).

Last edited:
I take off and land from my boat. A few lessons learned doing it.

If the boat is at anchor I can catch it.
If the boat is not at anchor there better be no current moving the boat.

If the boat is rocking up and down from waves be careful, I tried and succeeded catching the Mavic, but I got hit with the blades about two weeks ago and held on tight until the Mavic turned off. I didn’t want the thing to try and flyaway not knowing if it could fly with a potentially damaged blade.

This is what it looks like today and it’s healed quite a bit. It looked like someone used a razor blade and slashed the same some over and over until mush. There was no blood dripping all over the drone, sorry.

View attachment 77021
Did you give yourself a manny before or after? ;)

Oh WOW!

Just watched all of this in awe & have sooo many questions!

Mavic Pro or Zoom?
ND filter?
Did you always have it line of sight?
Were you not worried flying over such large expanses of water for so long and so far?
How you didn't lose connection flying behind the island?
Did you have any problems bringing your drone into Greece through customs, if not. how did you go about it? (obviously your holiday footage)
Greece's laws on drones? (I was in Corfu & Cyprus a few years ago & would have loved some aerial footage)
Avoiding power lines when following the road near the start of your footage - where you keeping it in line of sight from a following vehicle?
Not worried about bird strikes (I notice one was fairly close)!?
Any post production? Did you have to join video captures together & if so, what software do you use? (I have Adobe Premier Pro as I use the Adobe CC suite for my work)
Shot in 4k & other settings etc. - LUTs used?
..I could ask more but was just enjoying the views.

I did notice there were some pretty stiff winds blowing over the coastal trees & a flag getting the brunt of it too however, your shots were rock solid.

Anyway, excellent & congratulations, this is exactly what I'm striving to achieve!

Thanks!
Rick
Mavic Pro or Zoom? - That was an Air actually
ND filter? ND32 and ND16 for the most part
Did you always have it line of sight? - Well yes obviously... That's the law [emoji6] (maybe not)
Were you not worried flying over such large expanses of water for so long and so far? - Not really, lots of flights and confidence in what it will do
How you didn't lose connection flying behind the island? Rock solid the whole way, the air is underrated that way, M2P even better!
Did you have any problems bringing your drone into Greece through customs, if not. how did you go about it? (obviously your holiday footage) - none whatsoever, drone in case, batteries in hand luggage
Greece's laws on drones? (I was in Corfu & Cyprus a few years ago & would have loved some aerial footage) - EU laws for the most part, just be sensible etc and avoid NFZ
Avoiding power lines when following the road near the start of your footage - where you keeping it in line of sight from a following vehicle? - Tracking is pretty simple when you get the hang of it, practice, power lines just be careful and know where they are in 3d space in relation to the drone
Not worried about bird strikes (I notice one was fairly close)!? - Birds can be a pain, but most of em like to survive, and get close but not that close as a rule
Any post production? Did you have to join video captures together & if so, what software do you use? (I have Adobe Premier Pro as I use the Adobe CC suite for my work) - all done in Premiere
Shot in 4k & other settings etc. - LUTs used? - Not really a fan of LUTs, mostly colour graded and that's it.
..I could ask more but was just enjoying the views.

I did notice there were some pretty stiff winds blowing over the coastal trees & a flag getting the brunt of it too however, your shots were rock solid. - like I said the Air is highly under rated, there was a day wanted to fly over the crashed boat on the beach that the air couldn't get up for, where the M2P probably could have managed, all about knowing the craft and its ability.

But thanks, appreciated [emoji4]

You can go into the setting on Go4 and update the home position manually

Yes, in tracking mode - I saw a video on YouTube whereby you can track your object (boat in my case along a narrow canal) in different styles, follow, circle, spiral etc.. but what if you're too low & a bridge is approaching as these modes are all presets aren't they??

I think I may have to look into this further as at the end of the day, I'm a newbie & just have this idea in my mind which may prove difficult....I suppose what I'm saying is, if it is in circle mode, can you increase/decrease the altitude manually whilst still maintaining the circle mode?? (depending on what is ahead of the moving object you're following such as a bridge/overhanging tree etc.).
You can make adjustments etc yes, distance from center and the likes, and the active modes use the side sensors and top sensor too. But just don't completely trust its going to work, unless your in an area that it can't hit owt. Always keep your eye on the bird. And one hand on the pause button.

Also in emergency many people forget flicking into sport or tripod mode knocks it out of autonomous modes too.

You can make adjustments etc yes, distance from center and the likes, and the active modes use the side sensors and top sensor too. But just don't completely trust its going to work, unless your in an area that it can't hit owt. Always keep your eye on the bird. And one hand on the pause button.

Also in emergency many people forget flicking into sport or tripod mode knocks it out of autonomous modes too.

Thanks for your help - so much to learn & be aware of!! I appreciate it!

This will be my first "professional" drone so naturally I'm cautious. I imagine controls being reversed when returning can be quite daunting.

When teaching fixed wing RC pilots I show them that pointing the antenna in the direction of flight and looking at the craft over a shoulder when it’s returning helps with comtrol reversal. The advantage with a hovering copter is you can just fly it in reverse back to yourself.

Always do a compass calibration any time that screen pops up. It helps with return to home precision, I find.

When hand catching practice tilting the drone 90 degrees to the surface and it will quit immediately.

This will be my first "professional" drone so naturally I'm cautious. I imagine controls being reversed when returning can be quite daunting.

I've never found that to be a problem, I just look at the display screen, an iphone 7 plus in my case.

I've never found that to be a problem, I just look at the display screen, an iphone 7 plus in my case.
Honestly after a couple of flights it becomes second nature, just remember the colours of the front and rear lights so you know which way the craft is facing and after a couple flights you don't even think about it, also just remember the screen on you SC/Phone/Tab always 'faces front' so orient yourself from that.

I know we don't always, but for starting stay we'll within VLOS, it will help you, and when your more comfortable with the flight dynamics then fly further afield.

Turn off the beginner mode, it's just annoying for the most part, just make sure your in a safe place while learning.

Make sure your RTH settings are right, especially altitude, make sure your above any possible obstacles.

And remember the pause button, if things are getting too much, your becoming flustered or unsure, press pause! Catch your breath, work out what to do, and work it through.

Practice makes it all easier, and when your flying well start to practice multi control maneuvers, paning the drone whilst moving the gimble and rotating etc.

The smart modes are good, but you can get some great shots by doing them yourself, as you can add something extra to the maneuver.

Hi Guys,

I recently picked up a Zoom recently when the offers were on & had some Amazon gift vouchers to go towards it so all in all, I am happy with the £850 (inc vouchers) purchase as it has now gone back to £1075!
I have waited to "collect" some essentials such as prop guards, prop straps, a nice case, leg extenders, spare battery etc. & a Fly More kit (which makes 4 batteries in total).
I also have taken insurance including public liability, so in effect, I'm ready to go.

Here's where the nerves kick in...
After watching loads & loads of video tutorials, reading comments on here, I am feeling quite nervous about my maiden flight! I have done many "props off" checks, & reading/trying the menus etc. but there is so much to check before take off (& do while flying).
It is presently set to beginners mode & yes I am aware of lookin out for overhead wires, distances/heights etc. when I eventually switch over to normal.

My question is, I have been trawling the internet just for an absolute beginners step by step checklist from getting out of the case to getting it into the air (correctly setup) & cannot find anything suitable (I bet you will tell me there is one on here now!?!).

I am visiting my brother & his family in August & have set myself a task as he owns a narrow boat & they often chug along the canals in Lancashire at a very slow pace & I would love to take some aerial footage, preferably using the follow me function while taking in the lovely surrounding countryside.
My dilemma is that I feel that I should walk along the towpath, as being onboard would make it a moving landing area & would definately be freaked about doing a hand landing.

I probably would feel more comfortable about doing a return to controller while I am on terrafirma.

SO, my learned dear experts, am I being over nervous?? Having a simple step by step checklist which I can take with me would be superb, we have wonderful wide open areas here where I am wanting to get some practice in before I embark on my first quest.

Thank you all in anticipation!!

Rick
get yourself up on the hoe or central park or around Shaugh prior way how about practising around Burrator just keep a bit away from reservoir although i.d be inclined to practise around Dartmoor away from water Burrator ok just keep away from water and Princetown keep away from prison

Get the Nats app, has all the NFZ's on it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan