DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New "nervous" Mavic 2 zoom owner in Plymouth UK

I am going to later today publish on this forum my experience of trying to land a mavic air single handed on a 1.5m beam boat in the Solent with boat engine off in near ideal conditions. The short answer is don't - it's not possible! The drift of 0.5 to 1 knots makes it impossible to do safely and I crashed. I know I am an idiot and ignored advice of others. Don't even try it! Hand catching is what I have to learn to do - land first then in a few days I hope to pluck up my courage and try again. I need a 5 metre diameter circle around my takeoff point of safe landing area not to be stressed. I can do it in less and sometimes the air lands back on the launch pad. But sometimes not after a 1km flight. With 5m diameter circle I have plenty of space to let it land if it is on RTH and Go4 crashes or I lose comms. I have time to cancel RTH and orientate it away from me and land logically on the pad to avoid "drifting to the right a little, picking up some dust". And I don't have to panic if the wind suddenly gusts....

Explain crash on moving boat at sea..?

If your not in the mood to do it, dont do it.
Or at least practice and work your way up.
And if your worried about fingers, wear gloves.

I only have experience with Mavic Pro and on land, but
imho it's (with LP off) as easy a the flying maneuvers your
already doing by flying a Drone.

You can adjust home point dynamically by boat, but I would
try this as a last resort, your likely to move your controller and so the drone
or forget to change it and wonder why your drone is flying out to sea,
50km inland.

Hi & welcome from here in Thailand.
I haven't read all the posts above (as I am about to fly, just waiting for batteries to charge).
I am new too. I have had my M2Z about 6 months. 1st flight was testing along the Mekong River walkway/cycleway, then of to Vietnam. Videos on YouTube MrSmileyGC.

My advice would be :-
Read the user guide and read it again.
Check how the gimbal cover is removed, how to fasten phone to RC, how to fasten props. Get familiar with everything.
Read the user guide again
Wait for a still day and go to an open field, no trees or people, dogs etc close by.
Keeping in beginner mode, do a few checks to ensure everything is fitted correctly
Then take off to a height of a few metres and hover. Then try left stick right & left. release sticks and try rt stick left & right. Then release.
Try rt stick forward and back and release.
step back and have a rest...

REMEMBER - if you release the sticks it will hover...

You then start flying forward and backwards
Then have the drone facing the opposite direction and try all the above - now in reverse...

Then fly it some distance from you say 30m and do it all again.

Once you get used to the controls, turn on the camera/video and play with that...

The big nervousness for me was seeing my M2Z 50m away... But I realised, releasing the sticks and it just hovered. Eventually I gained confidence in the drone not falling from the sky nor flying away and I let it hover as I set up the camera.
And played with all those intelligent flight modes.

Once you know the drone will behave, you stop worrying and work the camera..

Another good thing to set in memory is the pause or cancel button, as if it wants to fly back and land at the 1st battery warning you can cancel it and fly it back yourself..

With regard to flying from the Long Boat, IMO, I would fly from the Tow Path and walk with the boat and the drone. Or stay put on the tow path so it does an easy RTH.

Once your confidence growths then and only then try flying from the boat (stationary) to get the feel, then have the boat moving a little and try again.
If it starts to go wrong, gain some height and step ashore (easy on a long boat) and land on the tow path..

Only my opinion though ;-)

Let me know how it all goes.... You will improve leaps and bounds....

Hi & welcome from here in Thailand.
I haven't read all the posts above (as I am about to fly, just waiting for batteries to charge).
I am new too. I have had my M2Z about 6 months. 1st flight was testing along the Mekong River walkway/cycleway, then of to Vietnam. Videos on YouTube MrSmileyGC.

My advice would be :-
Read the user guide and read it again.
Check how the gimbal cover is removed, how to fasten phone to RC, how to fasten props. Get familiar with everything.
Read the user guide again
Wait for a still day and go to an open field, no trees or people, dogs etc close by.
Keeping in beginner mode, do a few checks to ensure everything is fitted correctly
Then take off to a height of a few metres and hover. Then try left stick right & left. release sticks and try rt stick left & right. Then release.
Try rt stick forward and back and release.
step back and have a rest...

REMEMBER - if you release the sticks it will hover...

You then start flying forward and backwards
Then have the drone facing the opposite direction and try all the above - now in reverse...

Then fly it some distance from you say 30m and do it all again.

Once you get used to the controls, turn on the camera/video and play with that...

The big nervousness for me was seeing my M2Z 50m away... But I realised, releasing the sticks and it just hovered. Eventually I gained confidence in the drone not falling from the sky nor flying away and I let it hover as I set up the camera.
And played with all those intelligent flight modes.

Once you know the drone will behave, you stop worrying and work the camera..

Another good thing to set in memory is the pause or cancel button, as if it wants to fly back and land at the 1st battery warning you can cancel it and fly it back yourself..

With regard to flying from the Long Boat, IMO, I would fly from the Tow Path and walk with the boat and the drone. Or stay put on the tow path so it does an easy RTH.

Once your confidence growths then and only then try flying from the boat (stationary) to get the feel, then have the boat moving a little and try again.
If it starts to go wrong, gain some height and step ashore (easy on a long boat) and land on the tow path..

Only my opinion though ;-)

Let me know how it all goes.... You will improve leaps and bounds....

exactly, is what im saying

Welcome! Don’t worry, everyone has felt nervous, or worse flying :)

IMHO, reading so many forums, watching videos, etc. confuses further. Too many opinions :)

I’ve flown for years, have a checklist, follow it, and practice only with the sticks, regularly,for muscle memory.

Best.

Reactions: SmileyGC
Here's a video from yesterday. Launching from a boat is challenging, not impossible.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa