DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New pilot from NYC & Catskills, New York

helix

Reactions
Hello All!

Amateur photographer and new drone pilot.

I haven't been to any of the permissible spots in NYC yet and Manhattan is one big no-fly zone...

So I'm expecting to get more flight time in upstate Catskills region. Anyone flying up there?

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to Mavicpilots. What part of the Catskills are you from? I spent a few summers up there and worked in a few hotels. I miss the summers up there.

Welcome aboard!

Is there a way to get a permit to fly in the city? I left NYC 17 years ago for Phoenix. Quad copters weren't a big thing then nor was any terrorism threats. I think you'd get some gorgeous shots of the skyline from overhead depending on interference.

Welcome to Mavicpilots. What part of the Catskills are you from? I spent a few summers up there and worked in a few hotels. I miss the summers up there.

Thanks! I'm from the city but also southeast Catskills ~30 mins from I-87 near Phoenicia.

Welcome aboard!

Is there a way to get a permit to fly in the city? I left NYC 17 years ago for Phoenix. Quad copters weren't a big thing then nor was any terrorism threats. I think you'd get some gorgeous shots of the skyline from overhead depending on interference.

Thanks! Not sure if you can get permit. I'm not commercial so I don't expect to try to get a permit. There are a few parks where you can fly, some require club membership which I will look into.

Someone posted a nice video they made in I think Corona park. Fly it until they ban it! Enjoy the Mavic.

May have been Flushing park. I forget. **** brain of mine...

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching :)

Hello All!

Amateur photographer and new drone pilot.

I haven't been to any of the permissible spots in NYC yet and Manhattan is one big no-fly zone...

So I'm expecting to get more flight time in upstate Catskills region. Anyone flying up there?
Howdy from Wyoming helix, welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

Someone posted a nice video they made in I think Corona park. Fly it until they ban it! Enjoy the Mavic.

May have been Flushing park. I forget. **** brain of mine...

It's called Flushing Meadows-Corona Park, which is in the borough of Queens in New York City. Maybe I'll get there at some point. Thanks!

I used to live there, but didn't know Corona was the same as Flushing. Been 17 years since I moved :)

Thanks! I'm from the city but also southeast Catskills ~30 mins from I-87 near Phoenicia.

Northwest Catskills here. About 30 mins from Phonecia as well-- probably in the other direction from you. Very rural here and lots of places to fly.

You can fly in the city but I wouldn't recommend times square or any thing like that. Also steer clear of queens because that's truly a no fly zone. JFK and Lga make it impossible to enjoy the skies there, but always safety first!

Welcome aboard!

Hey guys, Merry Christmas... As far as flying goes in the city (Manhattan) it's really easy to get in trouble I think. Most officers won't be yo to date as far as what is a restricted zone and what is permissible. There is a reasonabIe fear of what some jerk can do with a drone so i completely understand, ive been questioned by the law while flying in the past and i sjowed them my footage to prove i wasnt a peeping Tom nor a bad guy. I do fly sometimes for very brief flights in my mom's neighborhood and the footage is breathtaking none the less. There are so many heli ports around the city so a clear flight path is basically never an option, but u can sneak in a safe flight here and there. Good luck and safe flying.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13