DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New pilot here, deciding between Air 2 or Mini?

Chances are that if you were flying low between two buildings, you had limited or no GPS signals. That allowed the wind to push it wherever it wanted. Every time you move up to the next level of Mavic, they get heavier and can handle the wind better. However on GPS loss, they will all coasts into something if you are not prepared to quickly take control. You need to keep the drone where it has a clear view of the sky to make sure it doesn't loose GPS control. Of course as the size and weight goes up, so does the price. I definitely think that the heavier and presumably more powerful MA2 will be worth the extra $, but it all comes down to flying in the right conditions and location for the pilot and aircraft involved.

Go with an "original" Air (or new one) - the original is great. Getting terrific range and never a problem (bought it over a year ago with 3 additional batteries). My rating --> A+

You have the mini already. Pay attention to the advice you’ve gotten from these guys, then go to an open area and learn to fly it. By that time, any possible bugs may be resolved in the Air2.

The zoom is a nice Bird.
BUT, If you would like better resolution photos, the 1 inch sensor on the Mavic 2 Pro "non-zoom" will be superior. You can always crop photos in post-processing.

Welcome. Based on your bad luck and/or inexperience in flight, with the next drone potentially being unlucky too - I'd suggest another Mavic Mini. Yes, it will be more prone in moderate winds, but its cheaper and can yield fairly similar results. It's also cheaper...and something to consider when out of warranty.

RoOSTA

Another thought is with the mini you do not need to register with the FAA but the MA2 you will.

I think you will more likely learn more if you stick with the mini for the first few months... Mini is so basic that you wont be tempted to just rely on those awesome sexy looking auto pilot shots on the MA2 and you will be forced to master to sticks, understand your limitations to survive in wind and work out all the basics. If it survives the next few months sell for 60% of your orignal price or keep as a better traveller and get the better one

Hi everyone,

I love this forum, and you all have great insight, thank you for taking time out to post feedback!

Here is my scenario. I am new to drone flying and originally started with a Tello. Recently I purchased the Mavic Mini and have captured some footage of a dried out creek bed, a family caravan, and a winery! So far, so good! However, I have crashed the drone twice, and both times caused by damage. Once to the body and gimbal, the other to the rear left arm that holds the motor (it cracked). Here's the catch, both times I've crashed the drone, it was at my Townhouse community where the walls to the next hours are about two car widths apart (maybe 2 1/2). While flying, the walls appear closer on the screen vs. where the actual drone is. Anyhow, I lost sight of the drone, and next thing I know, a gust of wind pushes it sideways, BAM! right into a garage door. Lesson learned: never fly in my neighborhood again.

Luckily I have been able to swap them out and get new ones, but I'm tired of the cheapness of material when the drone falls from less than 5ft up. Yes, I could have epoxied it back together or even replace that arm, but with the Air 2 coming out, is it worth it?

I plan to get better at shots and take more landscape photos and overhead shots. Similar to what most of you are doing in the open areas. BUT, is it better to learn on the Mini or spend the extra $500 on the Mavic Air 2? Of course, I will be more careful with either!

If you are looking to upgrade your equipment so that the damage in a crash is less than what you are experiencing now, then I'm sorry to say you are missing the point entirely!

I would suggest you FIRST learn how to fly properly, which of course also includes where and when to fly and to not fly. Since you already have the mini, stick with it.

When you are more competent with your skills and your knowledge, then will be the time to consider upgrading, depending on what you want to use the drone for.

Hey..... just MY OWN opinion.

Stay safe.

If you are looking to upgrade your equipment so that the damage in a crash is less than what you are experiencing now, then I'm sorry to say you are missing the point entirely!

I would suggest you FIRST learn how to fly properly, which of course also includes where and when to fly and to not fly. Since you already have the mini, stick with it.

When you are more competent with your skills and your knowledge, then will be the time to consider upgrading, depending on what you want to use the drone for.

Hey..... just MY OWN opinion.

Stay safe.
I ended up switching to the Mavic air 2 I have found it actually easier to fly. It’s way more stable and with the sensors in the front and back it has save me a few times.

Also, overall it takes much better videos and pictures and have found this to be a great investment so far. I appreciate your feedback

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan