DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Pilot, passed Part 107 test; waiting for TSA background

Considering (practically decided) the Mavic 3 Classic for 1st purchase. Main area of interest is agricultural uses, crop evaluation.

In Mississippi.
In that case, skip the Classic and get the Mavic 3.

Hello from the Crossroads of America Frog Mack

Good luck with your endeavors and welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your participation and your view of the world. Congratulations of the 107.

Considering (practically decided) the Mavic 3 Classic for 1st purchase. Main area of interest is agricultural uses, crop evaluation.
The Mavic 3 or Mavic 3 classic won't be much use for that.
Unfortunately current DJI consumer models can't be used with 3rd party mapping software like the older Mavic 2 or Phantom 4 pro could.
For agricultural use, you'd need something that can do mapping missions.
DJI are pushing users to their more expensive enterprise level drones for that.
For crop health the multispectral Mavic 3 mentioned in post #4 should be the drone you're looking at.

Last edited:

In Mississippi.
Welcome from Savannah, GA!
That M3c is a great bird! I think youre going to LOVE it!
Make sure you upload some pics and/or vids of your crops!

Just curious. 🤔

You paid for a part 107 test and passed the test.

Now awaiting TSA background check for certification?

(Cart before the horse) ?

Do you get a refund if TSA says no?

Most of the cost for the exam is given to PSI (the FAA Authorized Testing agency) for the administration of the exam and a portion is given to the site that administered the exam. usually an independently owned flight school. If you pass the exam, that only qualifies you to apply for a license. If the TSA has reason to deny you a "Thumbs Up"; you still have a certificate, but no license. You can always hang the certificate on the wall and if you have enough change in your pocket, you can buy a cup of coffee to drink while you fly your drone Recreationally, using your TRUST Certificate, but not for Commercial Purposes...

Last edited:
Reactions: SeaPig and wjkrysak
Main area of interest is agricultural uses, crop evaluation.

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar. Click on "Members" and then Click on "Member's Map…" Check it out and you might find some new flying friends.

Congrats on passing the Exam. I took my exam Oct 19th and I received my license just before the New Year (about 9-weeks). No I do not think there is any "cart or Horse" to put first. Your only issue is if you do not like flying drones and you will not find that out until you have also bought the Drone… Then that $175 for the exam will be little more than "chump change" when considered against the cost of the type of drone you are considering…

Since you are undecided, you need some up-front, in your face advice, I would suggest you call and visit some of the businesses that you are considering doing and talk to the owners/pilots and get their advice, it might just turn out they are hiring…

Also check out any local colleges that also offer Drone course and certificates and talk to the instructors. You just might find some courses to take on mapping and such…

Also since you are not spending your nights cramming for the exam, spend your time checking out YouTube Videos on the drones you are interested in buying and view the videos that show the drones at work, not just the pretty videos with music of the drones flying over mountains… My Mini 2 will make those types of videos, but it cannot do the work you have shown an interest in…

Since you live in Mississippi, there are specific laws and rules for you to follow, please check the link below for all the Rules and Laws that are in effect in your neck of the woods and it also links you to some of the Best Places to Fly in your area… Also, if you travel on vacation, visit friends, and relatives in other parts of the country, check back here so you do not run afoul of the law.

Since you are new at this, here is some Good Old Fashion Advice…

When you do get your Drone, put your phone number on it. If your drone gets lost or stuck in a tree and it finally comes down when you are not around, give the finders an opportunity to contact you so it can be returned.

Now, for the Fun Part, But do not let the excitement of the moment get the best of you. When you are going out to fly, do it slowly and deliberately. Get used to a set procedure and even practice it.

There are so many things I could write but these are the highlights that I feel need mentioning.

Plug in your phone/tablet into your controller; turn on the Controller and DJI Fly App (if it does not start on its own…). On the Drone, open the front legs, then open the back legs, then remove the Gimbal Cover.

The Gimbal is the most delicate item on the Drone and banging or bumping can damage it. I also fastened a short "Remove Before Flight" ribbon to the cover so it's more noticeable and I do not forget to remove it…

Turn on the drone and watch it come to "life." Watching the Gimbal go through its self-check is almost like watching a kitten or puppy opening its eyes for the first time…

Place the drone down (preferably on a Landing Pad) while it finishes its self-test (collecting satellites, etc…).

Check your battery status (Phone, Drone, and Controller), check the Signal Strength, by now the Controller should have reported it updated the Home Point.

Lift off, 4-5 feet (1-1/2 meters) or so, hover a bit, check the controls (move the drone a bit forward, back, left, right, yaw left and right). By now, your Controller will probably report again, Home point Updated.

If you go out in a rush and race thru your start up and take off before the drone has finished it prep, it may update its Home Point over that pond or that old tree you are flying over and in your excitement, you'll fly the drone long past it Low Battery point and when it engages Return to Home and lands in the pond or in a tree; it will be all on you…

Now go have fun, learn to fly the drone by sight before you try to fly it out a distance depending on the video feed, FPV.

I would also advise you to use YouTube and watch a lot of the Videos on flying and setting up the Drone. When it is too dark, too cold, or too wet, you can "fly it vicariously" through YouTube. Also watch some of the Blooper Drone Videos and learn how not to fly your "New Baby."

Fly On and Fly Safe…

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

I was not aware that TSA background check was part of a 107 cert. I guess I've already been checked during my private certification process. I did have to have a passport to get my IFR cert.

I was not aware that TSA background check was part of a 107 cert. I guess I've already been checked during my private certification process. I did have to have a passport to get my IFR cert.
It's not. Not sure why the OP says he's waiting on TSA background check unless he's going to become a TSA agent. LOL. TSA has nothing to do with UAV or 107. They are airport security clowns without the funny noses.

It's not. Not sure why the OP says he's waiting on TSA background check unless he's going to become a TSA agent. LOL. TSA has nothing to do with UAV or 107. They are airport security clowns without the funny noses.

Check out step 5 on the above FAA page

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54