DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Pilot, passed Part 107 test; waiting for TSA background

Considering (practically decided) the Mavic 3 Classic for 1st purchase. Main area of interest is agricultural uses, crop evaluation.

In Mississippi.
While you are waiting go to the Commercial FORM section of this there is an agriculture area.

Those guys do what you want to do every day and will have the latest information.

It's not. Not sure why the OP says he's waiting on TSA background check unless he's going to become a TSA agent. LOL. TSA has nothing to do with UAV or 107. They are airport security clowns without the funny noses.
Please read Step 5 in the attached link to the Federal Aviation Administration's "Become a Drone Pilot," Web page…

I know it does not explain why, just that is is required. I am sure you will still want to "Know Why" so here is the information to contact the FAA Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Support Center,

Email is: [email protected]

And their phone number is: 844 FLY MY UA (844) 359-6982

Please be sure to let us know what you find out…

LT Signing Off…

Check out step 5 on the above FAA page
Dang, I should have read your entry better, I did not notice you also provided the link. I just took a bit more offense to the reference to "Funny Noses" since we are depending on the integrity of the background check to minimize the possibility of Drone Pilots doing Nefarious things. But I guess this is similar to the old adage, "when guns are outlawed only the outlaws will have guns."

I know it does not explain why, just that is is required. I am sure you will still want to "Know Why" so here is the information to contact the FAA Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Support Center,

Email is: [email protected]

And their phone number is: 844 FLY MY UA (844) 359-6982

Please be sure to let us know what you find out…

LT Signing Off…
I don't want to derail this thread too much more, but Greg at Pilot Institute does a pretty good job of explaining the whole TSA who, what and why. So for the OP if you're interested here's a link:

Greg at Pilot Institute does a pretty good job of explaining the whole TSA who, what and why. So for the OP if you're interested here's a link:
Yes, it's a hangover from the FAA thinking of drone fliers as actual pilots and their drones as aircraft.
But it's completely pointless and achieves nothing at all.
Anyone who would fail the TSA background check can still fly their drone recreationally as much as they like, but can't legally do a couple of real estate shoots.

It's not. Not sure why the OP says he's waiting on TSA background check unless he's going to become a TSA agent. LOL. TSA has nothing to do with UAV or 107. They are airport security clowns without the funny noses.

In 2022, TSA confiscated 6542 firearms from people trying to board commercial flights. 88% were loaded. I appreciate that. I'm not fond of being in a pressurized cabin at 30,000 feet with someone stupid enough to bring a loaded gun to the airport. They might not have a clear notion of what a hole in the fuselage might mean.

I had to have a security check for both the Part 107 ticket and the Global Entry program. It's a bit difficult to understand the need with Part 107.

• Wow
Reactions: LoudThunder
In 2022, TSA confiscated 6542 firearms from people trying to board commercial flights. 88% were loaded. I appreciate that. I'm not fond of being in a pressurized cabin at 30,000 feet with someone stupid enough to bring a loaded gun to the airport. They might not have a clear notion of what a hole in the fuselage might mean.

I had to have a security check for both the Part 107 ticket and the Global Entry program. It's a bit difficult to understand the need with Part 107.
Compared to any other previous certification standards for drone pilots, Part 107 certification is undeniably a lot faster and less tedious. Most of it is simply studying, taking a test, and passing it. However, there’s a part of the certification process that is still poorly understood – the TSA background check.

What exactly does the TSA check for and how far back do they look? Are there any circumstances that could cause them to disapprove of your Part 107 application? As you would expect, information on this matter is quite scarce but we will try and delve deeper on this matter from what little is available.

Why is a TSA background check needed?​

In the Part 107 certification process, the TSA background check comes once you have passed the knowledge test and submitted a formal application for the Part 107 drone license. It is pretty much the final step – the one last hurdle you will need to overcome before you will be allowed to fly drones commercially.

How long the background check takes will depend largely on the backlog of airman certification applications. In some cases, it will only take a few days. In others, it can take several weeks. This is a testament to how much work and time the TSA spends on doing these background checks. But why do they bother doing it for drone pilots anyway?

The simplest answer is that a TSA background check is a standard part of any airman certification process. That means that it is a requisite step for drone pilots as much as it is for private pilots and recreational pilots. It is part and parcel of the FAA recognizing drone pilots as airmen and drones as vital components of the national airspace.

After reading this and thinking a little bit I got to wondering...I don't think I had to undergo any kind of background check to get my private pilot's license in 1998 but in 2002 or so, when I went for my instrument rating, I had to have a passport, which I already had. That may or may not have been due to 9/11/21. When I went for my Part 107 cert, I was not under the same umbrella as my private pilot's license. Meaning that I was unable to see through that process that I had a private pilot's license. With my FCC licenses (aircraft, HAM and GMRS), they are all under the same umbrella, just adding another license to my name on the same account. So...I am wondering if I am being screened by the TSA as well. It has been a few weeks since I passed my test and got my temporary license but still no permanent license has shown up yet.

If you are doing serious crop evaluation look at the Enterprise 3 M it was designed for agriculture.

These drones are not cheap $$$
I am doing serious crop evaluation... have been a professional crop consultant for 37 years, but that doesn't mean I have figured out how to make money with a drone yet - ha. I would LOVE to buy a M300 with an RTK base, Rock Robotics LiDAR sensor, multispectral cameras, and a Thermal sensor - but I feel like I first need to see what I can do with a camera drone... and see if I can create some potential revenue.
I have experience with multispectral and hyperspectral imagery analysis, as well as utilizing LiDAR data for flood simulation modeling, and have a Trimble RTK survey-grade GPS that I use for elevation modeling and landform design; but am currently droneless. I have had folks fly fields with decent camera drones, and have been able to do a lot with those images. Sometimes I georeference the images, sometimes not. Honestly, the tough decision was the Mini 3 Pro or the M3 Classic...

Last edited:
  • Wow
Hello from Minnesota and welcome to the Forum....Congratulations on your 107 Certification...There's a lot of good quality teaching/feedback going on in here. Just ask, and the experts are great on providing good sound advice for you to apply and use... Remember to always Fly safely and fly smartly representing all of us drone hobbyist well.

Considering (practically decided) the Mavic 3 Classic for 1st purchase. Main area of interest is agricultural uses, crop evaluation.

In Mississippi.
Welcome to the 107 Club from Western KY. Part 107 opened a lot of doors for me. I do a lot of Real Estate photo shoots and get paid to fly and have fun.

Welcome to the 107 Club from Western KY. Part 107 opened a lot of doors for me. I do a lot of Real Estate photo shoots and get paid to fly and have fun.
Did you encounter much resistance? i e, "That's OK, I have a drone and do my own", even from those not 107 certified?

Did you encounter much resistance? i e, "That's OK, I have a drone and do my own", even from those not 107 certified?
At first, yes, then I informed them of the rule that it is a FAA Violation to not be a Part 107 licensed pilot and use those photos. "Furtherance of a Business". I started out doing a few "Per-Bono" shoots for different agents, then charge them for future shoots.

Reactions: Walleye Hunter
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JJ112