DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Pilot, passed Part 107 test; waiting for TSA background

I started out doing a few "Per-Bono" shoots for different agents, then charge them for future shoots.
You need to know, there is no "Pro-Bono" in the FAA's dictionary!!!

Recreational Pilots are only allowed to fly for fun. Rec Pilots cannot do "favors" for friends, relatives, neighbors, local schools, non-profits, nothing...

If there is no actual exchange of goods, like money, tickets, etc... the exchange is considered "Good Will" and that, as far as the FAA is concerned is "Tangible."

Here is the Rule!

Rule.png

If you disagree, don't waste your time arguing the point here, contact the FAA directly…

Federal Aviation Administration's (FAA) Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Support Center
Email is: [email protected]
Phone number is: (844) 359-6982 or 844 FLY MY UA

Considering (practically decided) the Mavic 3 Classic for 1st purchase. Main area of interest is agricultural uses, crop evaluation.

In Mississippi.
I'm off topic here, but... Congratulations on your 107 Certification. If you are waiting for IACRA to process everything be sure to watch Greg's recent post on their "COMPUTER GLITCH" watch here >>> u.be/Cwxzk-f_AUE
I past my test in November and it took 11 weeks & 3 days for me to receive my card. Hope your wait is shorter.

Reactions: LoudThunder
I'm off topic here, but... Congratulations on your 107 Certification. If you are waiting for IACRA to process everything be sure to watch Greg's recent post on their "COMPUTER GLITCH" watch here >>> u.be/Cwxzk-f_AUE
I past my test in November and it took 11 weeks & 3 days for me to receive my card. Hope your wait is shorter.
Didn't you get a temporary card in the meantime? You should have been good to go as soon as you finished up your paperwork.

You need to know, there is no "Pro-Bono" in the FAA's dictionary!!!

Recreational Pilots are only allowed to fly for fun. Rec Pilots cannot do "favors" for friends, relatives, neighbors, local schools, non-profits, nothing...

If there is no actual exchange of goods, like money, tickets, etc... the exchange is considered "Good Will" and that, as far as the FAA is concerned is "Tangible."

Here is the Rule!

View attachment 161313

If you disagree, don't waste your time arguing the point here, contact the FAA directly…

Federal Aviation Administration's (FAA) Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Support Center
Email is: [email protected]
Phone number is: (844) 359-6982 or 844 FLY MY UA
I was just telling the New 107 Pilot how I got my name out there.

I was just telling the New 107 Pilot how I got my name out there.
I know what you were doing and if you were in an "Interview Room" with an FAA Flight Investigator, your lawyer would be telling you to remain silent…

There are only 9-rules that a Recreational Pilot needs to obey to remain within the spirit of the law and one of them is not to do what you seem so intent to brag about… There are many more rules being created and much more vigorously enforced and perpetuating the erroneous use of the phrase "Pro-Bono" is one of the one of those reasons… The excuse, "I just…" does not hack it any more.

And for all to know, I am not some cowering, **** rules book toting freak. I spent over 30-years in the Air Force and I was known as a "trouble shooter" who went in and fixed things… What made me good at what I did was I knew the rules… Not only what they allowed, but also what they prohibited… And I made things happen because I knew those rules and where the "line in the sand" was for following those rules… And in many cases, I made things happen because I knew what was not prohibited and took advantage of those openings. Your "Pro-Bono" work is not in the realm of any perceivable loop-hole…

And as further proof, When I took my Part 107 Exam, I just did not pass it, I Aced it!

LT Signing Off…

I know what you were doing and if you were in an "Interview Room" with an FAA Flight Investigator, your lawyer would be telling you to remain silent…

There are only 9-rules that a Recreational Pilot needs to obey to remain within the spirit of the law and one of them is not to do what you seem so intent to brag about… There are many more rules being created and much more vigorously enforced and perpetuating the erroneous use of the phrase "Pro-Bono" is one of the one of those reasons… The excuse, "I just…" does not hack it any more.

And for all to know, I am not some cowering, **** rules book toting freak. I spent over 30-years in the Air Force and I was known as a "trouble shooter" who went in and fixed things… What made me good at what I did was I knew the rules… Not only what they allowed, but also what they prohibited… And I made things happen because I knew those rules and where the "line in the sand" was for following those rules… And in many cases, I made things happen because I knew what was not prohibited and took advantage of those openings. Your "Pro-Bono" work is not in the realm of any perceivable loop-hole…

And as further proof, When I took my Part 107 Exam, I just did not pass it, I Aced it!

LT Signing Off…
Are you suggesting a 107 certified pilot can't do FREE work in an effort to gain a customer for future PAYING work. I think that's what Art was saying.

Reactions: Walleye Hunter
Are you suggesting a 107 certified pilot can't do FREE work in an effort to gain a customer for future PAYING work. I think that's what Art was saying.
Oh, Good point, I am not saying that a Part 107 Pilot cannot do work for free, I am only responding to a posting that Art Cox made previously…

Where he wrote that he knew he could not get paid for Real Estate Shoots as a Recreational Pilot so he did it "Pro-Bone" for various Real Estate Agents to get his name out there until he acquired his Part 107.

And That is exactly what the FAA prohibits because it creates "Good Will" and is a tangible benefit that is not in the realm of "Fun Flying"

As a matter of fact, I posted recently about an FAA Authorization I just received to fly in a Zero Max Altitude Zone near an Air Force Base to perform Roof and Gutter Inspections for my neighborhood and I'm doing all of them for Free (That's a Ton of Good Will, but I am Part 107, so it's Legal…).

I did not mean to imply what a part 107 Pilot can or cannot do. However, I see a lot of folks abusing the rules and misusing their drones with the excuse, "I just…" and they think that excuses their actions. Real estate agents buying a drone from eBay and taking their own photos, Dads using their drones to help the high school football, soccer, etc… team, and so much more as I am sure you are well aware of…

Where he wrote that he knew he could not get paid for Real Estate Shoots as a Recreational Pilot so he did it "Pro-Bone" for various Real Estate Agents to get his name out there until he acquired his Part 107.
I think you might want to go back and read exactly what he said. I read it that he was 107 certified and did free work at first to gain future contracts. I think you kind of jumped him for no reason. Maybe I'm wrong and he'll correct me!

Reactions: Walleye Hunter
I think you might want to go back and read exactly what he said. I read it that he was 107 certified and did free work at first to gain future contracts. I think you kind of jumped him for no reason. Maybe I'm wrong and he'll correct me!
No, you are not wrong and the correction and apologies are not due on your part.

Reactions: Big Bro
Didn't you get a temporary card in the meantime? You should have been good to go as soon as you finished up your paperwork.
YES... I got my temporary card (printable download) 3 days later, ..... it's just my compulsive disorder wanted the OFFICIAL CARD right away. Something about having the plastic blue & green card gave the feeling of completion.

I think you kind of jumped him for no reason.
I will offer this apology, I am sorry but I still read it the same way and I believe it's a case of…

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant…"

I know that we often say or write something that makes perfect sense to us, but may be interpreted differently by the listener or reader… As in when I wrote the "there is no "Pro-Bono" in the FAA's dictionary!!!", you interpreted that I was saying the a Part 107 could not work for free even though my entire posting was in the context of Recreational Flying.

LoudThunder, you did misunderstand me, but that's OK. My wife does it all the time. :)
I should have clarified that as a Part 107 Licensed Pilot that is how I got my start. Doing free work.

Oh, and from one veteran to another "Thank You for Your Service"

Art

Reactions: MS Coast
Art,
From one Vet to another, I apologize. Yes, I did misunderstand you and my wife says the same thing about me. Perhaps we have more in common than our years of service and thank you for your service!

Fly Safe!

Welcome to the forum! :)

Low-res Tower Shot
Now that you are Part 107, did you take the opportunity to use the tower to get your drone up to 400' above it? The air is rare up there and sometimes a video with a slow 360 degree yaw crates some pretty interesting sites and scenery.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mandeh